X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Roy should retire. No question.

He's never been the same since he came back down from heavyweight, and now his legs have gone so he can't get out of the way of shots like he used to. Congrats to Danny Green, it was an efficient performance and he has a hell of a punch, but beating a very faded 40 year old man does not a great champion make.

If Roy and BHop fight now, Bhop will destroy Roy. It will be embarassing, just like the ass-whooping Calzaghe gave him was.

But Jhale is correct, as his peak from 1993-2003 Roy Jones was a freak of nature. 8 titles from middleweight to heavyweight, the only guy in compubox history to go a round without being hit once, Roy used to barely drop a round barely a fight. Beating all time greats like Bhop and Toney EASILY, and destrying elite competition like Virgil Hill, Sugar Boy Malinga, John Ruiz and Montel Griffin along the way. The only thing lacking was that Roy could have done MORE - he could have fought Nigel Benn and/Steve Collins at 168, or Darius Michalewski at 175. Maybe the fact that he often played it safe is the reason he fights on now, as though he has something to prove? I have no doubt that a peak Roy would have whooped all of those guys, but we'll never know. That being said, I'd back him against anyone at 168 or 175 in history - Joe Calzaghe, John Conteh, Michael Spinks, Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, etc etc. Could Roy have taken their best shots? Maybe not. Would they have been able to handle his freakish speed and power? Doubt it.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

So 38 year old Green kicked the ass of 40 year old Roy. Binnie ??
      Just trying to get it all accurate...
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Looked like a bad case of underestermation !

Go the Green Machine !!!!
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

I love how he came at him fast & furious when he knew he was shaken. So many times I've found myself yelling at the TV "get him, get him, WHAT THE FUCK! Go get him!", after the opponent gets shaken. The guy just stands there and starts boxing as normal. Gotta be able to come in like a shark to blood when you get someone on the edge.

Although in my personal fist fighting experiences, if I'm lucky enough to shake up the other guy, I use that small window of opportunity to flee.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
            Sniper
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
            Although in my personal fist fighting experiences, if I'm lucky enough to shake up the other guy, I use that small window of opportunity to flee.
            https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Panamark
              So 38 year old Green kicked the ass of 40 year old Roy. Binnie ??
              Just trying to get it all accurate...
              I thought Green was 36. But yeah, he's no spring chicken.

That being said, Roy Jones has been pro boxer since 1989!!!!! He is an 'old' 40 by boxing terms.

Not taking anything away from Green, he fought at great fight and I think he has good power. But if you think that puts him amonst the best light heavyweights or cruiserweights in the world, think again. Should he get a fight with BHop, Chad Dawson, Tomaz Adamek, Steve Cunningham or Zolt Eredi, it would be different picture.

Comment

• Sarge
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

I think the difference with Jones is that he lost some of his quickness. Guys could not have caught him earlier in his career.
                He is not going to retire.
                He makes too much money and he hasn't let defeats stop him in the past.

Let's see RJJ vs Anderson Silva!

After watching the fight it looks like RJJ got hit on the back of the temple. That will KO anyone! Yes, his chin is shit but that is the worst place to get hit.
                ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
                The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
                [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                  I thought Green was 36. But yeah, he's no spring chicken.

That being said, Roy Jones has been pro boxer since 1989!!!!! He is an 'old' 40 by boxing terms.

Not taking anything away from Green, he fought at great fight and I think he has good power. But if you think that puts him amonst the best light heavyweights or cruiserweights in the world, think again. Should he get a fight with BHop, Chad Dawson, Tomaz Adamek, Steve Cunningham or Zolt Eredi, it would be different picture.
                  Hell no ! Im just kicking myself I didnt put a bet on, I would have cleaned
                  up. This is lika Susan Boyle moment, didnt see that coming !!
                  To be fair Green can fight, and I guess now its a matter of wheter we see him
                  against some more elite fighters. Him and Anthony Mundine hate each other
                  in Australia, so I think we will see something happen there first.
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He probably took a dive, boxing is totally corrupt.

A slight tap on the ear and he falls over?

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Slight tap on the ear?

It was a helluva right hand. As Sarge said, the back of the temple is the worst place to be hit.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Sarge
                        He is not going to retire.
                        He makes too much money and he hasn't let defeats stop him in the past.

Let's see RJJ vs Anderson Silva!

Sadly, I think that you may be right. Bhop-RJJ is a hard sell now (as everyone knows its a mis-match) but I reckon it'll probably happen.

I'd much rather see Hopkins fight Adamek or Chad Dawson, but I imagine he'll take the easy money.

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

If it was a slight tap, I dont think he would have enjojed the
                          following onslaught

Our chief medical officer has already identified the initial point of impact.....
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He's obviously a big blouse.

Most girls here could(and do) take a tap like that every Saturday night with hardly a word of complaint.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              He's obviously a big blouse.

Most girls here could(and do) take a tap like that every Saturday night with hardly a word of complaint.
                              Wife-beating: Scotland's National Sport.

Comment

• Panamark
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Is that what heaver means ??
                                Like in the proclaimers song, when I heaver, dont you know Im
                                gonna be the man to heaver over you... Or is that scottish for
                                throwing up ???
                                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...