• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
    A machine?
    Pretty much, Z! He was amazing that weekend. And how about that chip in at 16 a few years ago? (I think it was '05) that was pure art.

Comment

• Zing!
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

I was bagging on basketball in another thread - and I don't know if I can qualify golf as a real sport - but I can appreciate greatness when I see it. Maybe it's because at my age it's the only game I have left, so I can relate to how good you have to be to play even decent golf and not embarrass yourself. Whereas I can't stand to watch basketball on the tele, I could watch golf for hours. The way these guys make shot after shot look routine (and the occasional melt-down, natch) is fascinating to me.
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

I'm hearing you, mate. That final 9 at Augusta has been some of the most entertaining tv I've ever seen. Just watching dudes try to hold it together while battling their own minds and nerves is spectacular. Can't wait for the weekend.

Btw, Aussie Rugby League is a pretty good watch, too! Saturday night's game South Sydney vs Melbourne will be epic. Both teams are undefeated after 5 rounds...

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Yeah, Tiger's twisty, turny hole out was pretty good. Yet you have never felt anything that compares, unless you happened to be hanging around the fairway, somewhat sunburnt and beer sodden, when this little nipper fired the shot heard around the world. And yes, there is a monument honoring his shot that day.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

You can't end a round of golf much better than that unless there were strippers in the clubhouse cracking open the champagne.

Comment

• Fairwrning
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Ill go with Rory McIlroy this weekend

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

yeah! popeye's shot was pretty freakin cool...

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                  You can't end a round of golf much better than that unless there were strippers in the clubhouse cracking open the champagne.
                  Originally posted by ashstralia
                  yeah! popeye's shot was pretty freakin cool...
                  What a great deal of folks don't know is the poor bastard almost missed the match entirely. For one reason or another, he snoozed through his wake up call and awoke in his hotel to find he was roughly ten minutes from his tee time. He ran into the bathroom, wiped his face, and still wearing the clothes from the previous evening, got in a cab to meet his caddy. About three to five minutes late, he teed off and managed to survive his opening round. He did better the next day, scoring a round that made the cut. After that, he kinda laid back, not drawing much attention on Saturday, yet come Sunday, he was on top. As I recall, (and bear in mind, I was somewhat sloshed) Scott Verplank hit a long hook that went into the trees at the bend on the 18th, meaning he'd need to create one hell of a long snap to merely reach the green. Instead, the fireplug unleashed the most unexpected shot in the history of golf, flying straight into the wind over water and dropping the ball after a single bounce right into the cup.

To this day, it's the most remarkable shot I've ever witnessed. The tv clips do not serve the story justice, as the crowd's ovation roar was louder than anything I've ever heard, and that includes a Deep Purple/Nazareth show from 1975 or 76.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

aah, the marvellous ritual of rising at 5am to find an aussie atop the leaderboard!!

it's 5:42 am here now; sun's not up yet...

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

all 4 aussies within 2...

c'mon boys!!!

Comment

• Whorehey
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2012

Day for birdie on 17...
                        'Cause three holes are better than a hole-in-one!!!

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

freddy and jason..

Comment

• Fairwrning
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Man, I put a jinx on Rory..he did well til today

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Still don't get the "exception" rule that allows Woods to continue to play, yet as coverage ended here in the states we have 3 Aussies in the top five. Nicely performed fellows and well, well played.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Zing!
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

I think the exception has something to do with his last name being Woods.

9 out of 10 TV ratings agree.

Comment

Working...