Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tojoro
    Head Fluffer
    • Dec 2009

Just out of curiosity, if the riot was the work of activists/anarchists/terrorists, were they also the folks responsible for the riot that occured when the Canucks lost in the Cup finals to the Rangers in '94?
    Though it may seem like a wise-ass question, I assure you it is sincere.
    I am from Boston, but don't really have a dog in this race, as the only sport I cared about was hockey up until the strike.
    I'm happy for the team, the fans and the town, but I'm hoping with this win, I don't have to hear that Bobby Orr soundbite ever again...

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

It's one thing to blame this idiocy entirely on criminals and anarchists. It's quite another to see all of those douchebags standing in front of the carnage posing for pictures and laughing their heads off. Lemme guess, they were anarchists, too? And just what was the deal with pelting firefighters with rocks and bottles, resulting in several injuries?

I feel terrible for the real hockey fans living in Canada, as this deplorable situation is not a reflection on them, by any means. This lays at the feet of bureaucratic ineptitude and insouciance which allowed these shitheads to run rampant in the first place.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I know where you guys are going with this...

All I am saying is there was an organized movement and plan here by people who did the exact same thing during the Olympics...that is start the whole thing with burning of cars, smashing of windows.

Then it was all too easy for other idiots to join in, which they did.

Nothing came of it at the Olympics beause there was basically a huge SWAT team at the ready and the people were dispersed all over the city so no one really saw it or felt the need to participate. Also a much different crowd.

Security here was not at that level and the mayor dropped the ball...preferring to spend the money on bike lanes that no one uses (another story)

Remember, there were well over 100,000 people in the immediate area. Those who participated were a few hundred.

94 was just another circumstance completely but basically happened because we are a little too trusting that people will do the right thing
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Trust me, I hear what you are saying, and I'm certain that you and your countrymen are just as appalled at this incident as is the rest of the planet. I know firsthand what it means to have the actions of a several affect the majority of people's opinions of an entire area (the state of Florida is not shaped like a dick by accident). For now, there is a sense of outrage taking place, and how things are handled in the coming days will go a long way toward setting aside these feelings. People want to see justice delivered, and swiftly.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Switch84
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

Why is it always "someone else's fault" when people do stupid shit? Yeah, some mysterious band of anarchists roam aimlessly around the world waiting for a sports team to choke so they can have an excuse to burn up shit and loot. I'm not buying that, LOL! It's been decades since my Bears won the Super Bowl, yet you don't see me burning, looting and whining throughout the streets of Chicago, lol........
            "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
            Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• tojoro
              Head Fluffer
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
              I know where you guys are going with this...
              Despite how my question may have come across, I did say it was sincere, I wasn't going anywhere with it, forget I asked.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Switch84
                Why is it always "someone else's fault" when people do stupid shit? Yeah, some mysterious band of anarchists roam aimlessly around the world waiting for a sports team to choke so they can have an excuse to burn up shit and loot. I'm not buying that, LOL! It's been decades since my Bears won the Super Bowl, yet you don't see me burning, looting and whining throughout the streets of Chicago, lol........
                Maybe it would have happened anyway, but there is no doubt there was the same group known to police who were very active in the recent Olympics here who did the same thing (minus the cars) who were part of this incident. Their images are there as the proof then and now. So no doubt whatsoever that it did occur and that they are part of a known Anarchist group. The punks who got involved didn't come prepared like the "pros" who had gas masks, fuel, weapons of all kinds, etc

Its not really a matter of if this is true, because it is. The rest you saw for your self
                Last edited by Romeo Delight; 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM.
                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

The excuses are already happening...an 18 year old who lit a police car on fire is on his way to the University of Alberta on a Water polo scholarship.

I can see it now...:

"My client has never been in trouble with the law and he was caught up in the moment..."

I see justice not meeting the challenge here despite what the province is saying.

He should go to jail for a couple of years minimum and pay back somewhere in the order of 100k to help defer the costs obver the rest of his life
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                    Winnipeg? Gimme a fuckin break.
                    Yeah, that scumbag Bettman was under the assumption that he was gonna make money off of these sun-belt hockey tax havens. Oh how wrong he turned out to be! The arena that the Jets will be playing in has a capacity of 15,000. But they managed to sell out all of the games for next season! I'm sure they won't have a problem expanding the arena with the guaranteed net revenue that's coming in.
                    Last edited by BITEYOASS; 06-17-2011, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Hopefully Tim Thomas will be the lead Goalie on Team USA in the next winter olympics.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                        Hopefully Tim Thomas will be the lead Goalie on Team USA in the next winter olympics.
                        Last year in the playoffs Thomas was not playing for the Bruins. No one in the league wanted him and the Bruins desperately were trying to move him and his salary

Amazing how quickly things can change.

He is a fine goalie...but I think any number of goalies who by comparison look really bad on their respective teams would also shine in Boston on their great team system
                        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2006

Me and my hockey friends (all 3 of em) were rooting for Canucks but we could see the writing on the wall by game 6. Good run though. NBC/VS coverage was so slanted towards Bruins and Refs were too much of a factor. I don't like Pittsburgh err Boston but was glad when Thomas got CS MVP.
                          Last edited by GreenBayLA; 06-18-2011, 06:56 AM.
                          "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Anarchists know where to go if they want to cause maximum damage without being held accountable: "Oh, Canada!"

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

If those Anarchists tried that in Beantown, then the Boston PD wouldn't hesitate to crack a few skulls, taze and gas em. They had quite a bit on on-the-job training during St. Patty's day.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Numbers are coming in now...there were only 700 police in the downtown core for a crowd of 100,000 plus.

The numbers of police during the Olympics were 5,000.

Nice job mayor.
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...