Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

As with any contact sport, defense wins every time.

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
      Sounds like "ballet" for men with cojones
      It's a hard full body contact sport, bro. I don't disparage your blokes wearing protective gear. If I had my footy days again, I reckon I'd use more of it rather than less.

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by binnie
        I was a winger. I had ambitions of being a full-back, but I just didn't have the chops - I could never read the game well enough, y'know?

Still, I used to love it. Really wished I'd kept playing in a local team beyond the age of 18..........
        As much as I love League, I never played the game! I may have participated in an under 7's side, but that's just a bunch of kids handing a ball around for half an hour.

At the back bin, you just follow the left and right movement, try to predict where your line may fail, and run back to your spot. In attack, support your troops by being available on every play. It ain't rocket surgery!

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Originally posted by ashstralia

At the back bin, you just follow the left and right movement, try to predict where your line may fail, and run back to your spot. In attack, support your troops by being available on every play. It ain't rocket surgery!
          It's harder to do than you make it sound. For my money, full-back, scrum half, stand off and loose forward are very tough positions to play from a mental point of view.
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Mushroom
            Commando
            • Jul 2009

It's a hard full body contact sport, bro. I don't disparage your blokes wearing protective gear. If I had my footy days again, I reckon I'd use more of it rather than less.
            Is there a rugby thread??!

I equate rugby to more like gladiators, or assault and battery.

I would expect short term injuries... Concussions, broken bones.

I'm curious about the long term health effects on former rugby players. Brain damage? Neurodegenerative disorders? Are some former players nearly crippled when they are senior citizens?

We could make the case that American football players play more aggressively because they wear more protective gear (now I'm Superman!) and therefore maybe more prone to injury.
            Last edited by Mushroom; 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

Yes shroom, I'll revive it for season 2014. The injuries are much the same; ham string and Achilles tears, pec and calf problems etc. interestingly, we haven't had nearly as many concussion or on going brain injuries as your guys have had.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yes shroom, I'll revive it for season 2014. The injuries are much the same; ham string and Achilles tears, pec and calf problems etc. interestingly, we haven't had nearly as many concussion or on going brain injuries as your guys have had.
                Because you don't have helmets to use as battering rams into other peoples' helmets...

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

I was thinking about that Nick. I reckon you're right. The helmet might give a false perception that you're less likely to be injured.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's a pickup line I've used in the past...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Mushroom

We could make the case that American football players play more aggressively because they wear more protective gear (now I'm Superman!) and therefore maybe more prone to injury.
                      There may be something in that - no one used to die in the ring before boxing gloves were invented because you would break your hands too often most people did body shots.

The other thing is that in rugby you can only tackle the guy with the ball so there must be far fewer impacts.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        There may be something in that - no one used to die in the ring before boxing gloves were invented because you would break your hands too often most people did body shots.

The other thing is that in rugby you can only tackle the guy with the ball so there must be far fewer impacts.
                        With rugby, guys are also winded and worn down whereas American football has stoppages in play and is essentially a sprint sport moving at full speed for short bursts...

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Never used to get shots to the head in hockey before helmets...
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There must be a double entendre in there but I can't seem to quite find it.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Angel
                              I'm not sure but I sense sarcasm in that post. If the made the pucks softer and used sticks that would just shatter if you hit someone with one you'd still have to worry about getting a concussion by hitting your head on the ice. With all the brain damaged retired athletes there are nowdays there will be more people wanting to outlaw sports where the risk of getting head injuries is too great.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                                There's a bit of bullshit in that. You had a guy fucking die during a game due to internal injuries sustained before helmets, stop with the Don Cherry propaganda!..

Comment

Working...