Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

OSU had no business losing that game in the second half like that. They didn't seem to know what to do on offense with Thomas out.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• damngoodtimes
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

Sully gone, but Deshaun coming back. That's about what I expected. Still look like a top ten team next year. They'll need to figure out where to get some more offense, outside of Thomas, Smith, and Craft. Thompson and Scott looked like they we're able or allowed to shoot this year.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Oh, swell. From my local paper's sports page this morning.

Sporting News publishes investigation of Urban Meyer and Florida

Sun Sentinel

GAINESVILLE –
        A Sporting News investigation published on Monday takes a look at the decline of Florida football under Urban Meyer, alleging drug use among players and preferential treatment for elite players during the former coach's tenure.

Meyer resigned in Dec. 2010 after six seasons at Florida, citing health reasons, and was hired at Ohio State on Nov. 28, 2011. After winning two national championships in three seasons, Meyer coached Florida to an 8-5 mark in his final season.

The Sporting News article details a lack of punishment for elite players during Meyer's tenure. Among them, that former receiver Percy Harvin attacked Billy Gonzales, then his position coach, in 2008; that Harvin refused to participate in an offseason conditioning drill in 2007, prompting the strength coaches to let the players play pick-up basketball as conditioning; that former CB Janoris Jenkins failed two drug tests and was not punished by Meyer; and that former safety Bryan Thomas was given a medical redshirt following a series of knee injuries to make room for new recruits.

The story suggests that Meyer lost control of the program in his last couple years at Florida and goes on to wonder whether the same could happen at Ohio State.

Read the Sporting News story here.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• BITEYOASS
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Damn, that's straight out of a "Blue Mountain State" script!

Comment

• damngoodtimes
            Sniper
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            The story suggests that Meyer lost control of the program in his last couple years at Florida and goes on to wonder whether the same could happen at Ohio State.[/I]

Read the Sporting News story here.
            Well, his last 3 years were a National Championship, a 12-1 season with a win in a BCS bowl (and the only loss to the ultimate National Champion), and one 8-5 year. I'll take that.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

good start for the Urban era.

...and what a catch by Devin Smith...

Last edited by damngoodtimes; 09-03-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                Sniper
                • Jan 2004

plus, Michigan lost...great day!!

also, some love for OHIO knocking off the NittanyTickleMonsters

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  Oh, swell. From my local paper's sports page this morning.

A Sporting News investigation published on Monday takes a look at the decline of Florida football under Urban Meyer, alleging drug use among players and preferential treatment for elite players during the former coach's tenure.

The story suggests that Meyer lost control of the program in his last couple years at Florida and goes on to wonder whether the same could happen at Ohio State.
                  I had my doubts about Urb. I've voiced my opinion on how I believed he ran the UF program, and how I DIDN'T want Ohio State football to be ran the same way-how I didn't want this program to turn into the Miami teams from the late 80's-early 90's, sacrificing integrity for success on the field, turning Ohio State into Thug U, which is where UF was headed.

Then I heard Urb speak on the subject during a coaches' conference after he was hired here.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt...for now.

I believe he lost control of the UF program because he never had 100% control to begin with. There must have been some underlying circumstances never made public, that drove him into "retirement" other than his health and family. He has hinted that it was the case, citing that "dealing with people that were not relatives or even friends" of some of his players, that "distractions" and "outside influences" were interfering with the team, or how he chose to run it, because of certain individuals that "had a vested interest" in the players he was coaching.

That may be why he loves Tebow so much. Tebow must have seemed like Lot , living in Sodom and Gomorrah, to Urban Meyer.
                  If the UF program was really that shady, I can't blame him for bailing before the program was sunk, as well as his future. I never heard him make comments like that about Bowling Green or Utah.

He also made clear before taking the job at Ohio State that there "were no more surprises behind door number 1, door number 2, or door number 3" , which means to me, he doesn't want to take responsibility for any future violations, meaning if there are any, he WILL be responsible.

I'll say this-had Tressell not stepped down, the special teams and defense would probably never improved.Tress wouldn't have fired anyone, and he should have. Meyer addressed those issues verrry quickly.

But make no mistake, if this program falls under any more NCAA "violations", or if he has a losing record to Mishitgan, Buckeye Nation and all it's minions will eat him alive.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

sloppy 4th quarter, but an otherwise good win today over a UCF team that isn't half bad. there won't be any real resistance until the 29th up in E. Lansing.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2007

Something's wrong..

Meyer wants to bring heat on the QB's, then get burned by the run. Stop the run-get torched by the WR's.

A lack of balance.

I thought the D would improve from last year, not get worse.

Comment

• gbranton
                        Veteran
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                        I believe he lost control of the UF program because he never had 100% control to begin with. There must have been some underlying circumstances never made public, that drove him into "retirement" other than his health and family. He has hinted that it was the case, citing that "dealing with people that were not relatives or even friends" of some of his players, that "distractions" and "outside influences" were interfering with the team, or how he chose to run it, because of certain individuals that "had a vested interest" in the players he was coaching.

But make no mistake, if this program falls under any more NCAA "violations", or if he has a losing record to Mishitgan, Buckeye Nation and all it's minions will eat him alive.

I wanted to post in this thread before and it got away and I forgot about it for awhile. I am a Florida alum, grew up in the state and know people connected with the program at Florida. People who are big boosters to the school, Bull Gators they are called. Anyway, the situation with Urban Meyer was quite different than what was portrayed on television and what you allude to above about having control of the team is 100% SPOT ON. The reason he left UF was constant meddling of influential boosters, most notably in the case of Cam Newton, which was the final straw for Meyer.

You see Meyer recruited Newton, he was Urban's ultimate prototypical QB to run his offense. When he looked at Cam he probably got a hardon the size of a basset hound. He DID NOT recruit John Brantley, who has none of the skills required to run that offense. He made it work in the beginning with Chris Leak but Leak was to John Brantlame what the New Lamborghini Aventador is to a fucking school bus. Why was Brantlame there? MONEY. LOTS of money. Millions of dollars donated by the Brantlame family (who HAD a great football tradition at the university) to UF. Do you REALLY think they got rid of Cam Newton over a hot laptop? When other players were fighting, getting DUIs and getting busted with weed all around him? REALLY?.......................And the story about Newton being on the verge of expulsion because he cheated on tests?.....................Totally fabricated and purposefully leaked to to the media by UF boosters to make their decision to get rid of Cam Newton seem like the right thing while he was steamrolling every team he faced in Auburn en route to a Heisman and a National Championship (LOL and people though Alabama did that), while Florida coaches were left holding the bag with a QB that made Noah Brindice look like Johnny Unitas. Florida would have easily won two more NCs with Cam Newton there and Urban KNEW it. If you don't think so look at Auburn before and since the Cam era. When all this went down, he was FURIOUS and that's when he fake-retired the first time. Since that night he phoned it in at UF, not recruiting hard, letting his idiot pal Steve Addazio run the offense, cashing their check and giving the school a BIG fuck you. Maybe the same thing I would have done under the circumstances, the best revenge sometimes is spending their money on your shit.

Think I am bullshitting you? Look carefully at the timeline, winning the NC, Cam's exodus, Brantlame's ascension, Urban's fake-retirement and the decline of the program. Why do you think that the "mighty" University of Florida had to settle for a half-assed unproven, no-name coach like Will Muschamp? Because the word is out in the coaching community that you will have to coach with a hand up your ass. I have personally talked off the record to an SEC coach who turned them down, as has Bob Stoops.....TWICE.

As for Urban at Ohio State? Give him a little time to get the players he wants and he will be a great coach for them. I was a little iffy about him in the beginning at UF and he proved me wrong in FUCKING HUGE fashion. He built a juggernaut at Florida (one that humiliated OSU by the way) and will put together a team that the likes of fucking Michigan won't be able to hang with. He is a GREAT coach.
                        "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

interesting take, man. who am I to say you're wrong? It had to chap his ass to lose Newton. It's obvious what a hard-on Braxton Miller gives him.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                            Something's wrong..

Meyer wants to bring heat on the QB's, then get burned by the run. Stop the run-get torched by the WR's.

A lack of balance.

I thought the D would improve from last year, not get worse.
                            That Bucks D will be tested big-time this week with Bell. Although, if MSU had an actual QB, Bell would be a much greater challenge. It's a shame for Sparty that they have no QB play, because with Bell and that D, they could be a damn-good team.

I wanted Luke Fickell fired about halfway through that Cal game, what with all the shitty tackling.

It's been obvious so far that Urban is trying to teach these kids how to win, and he doesn't care if he doesn't take the typical conservative-coach approach (AKA what Tressell would've done). He'd rather go for it on 4th-and-1 than kick a FG, even if that FG might be the "smarter" move. He's trying to get these guys to win each of these little battles. I think he may feel a bit liberated this year, what with no championship to play for. It may cost him a game along the way, but he wants to get these kids ready for Sept 2013.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by gbranton
                              I wanted to post in this thread before and it got away and I forgot about it for awhile. I am a Florida alum, grew up in the state and know people connected with the program at Florida. People who are big boosters to the school, Bull Gators they are called. Anyway, the situation with Urban Meyer was quite different than what was portrayed on television and what you allude to above about having control of the team is 100% SPOT ON. The reason he left UF was constant meddling of influential boosters.
                              Boosters, future agents, Cam's dad, etc..I believe you.

I think some of those aforementioned influences might have been the reason Fickle started Joe Bausermann instead of Braxton Miller LAST YEAR. You';; never convince me that Bausermann was a better QB at ANY POINT was a better QB than Miller based on his performance in practice OR on the field.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2007

Whoa! I should proofread more often.

Comment

Working...