Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damngoodtimes
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

OK, NW, my last was clearly in response to your previous item.

RE: conferences, I think the ignored factor with these big mega-conferences is geography. For the negative revenue sports (almost all of them), the travel involved is a major obstacle. Since you use ND as an example, look at the Volleyball team. They might be able to take a bus to Evanston, or Bloomington or Columbus, but instead they have no choice but to fly to go to Boston, Atlanta, Miami, etc.

Many of these sports also play regularly on weekdays, as opposed to football which is primarily on Saturdays. It's much more disruptive for class, etc.

Maybe for the big programs like ND and OSU, this isn't as big of a deal. But for the smaller $$ schools (even at BCS level), I imagine it will cause serious problems. Look at the monstrosity called the Big "East".
    Last edited by damngoodtimes; 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• Never was
      Foot Soldier
      • May 2012

Damn, I got to be familar with Urban as he started his career with ND and has had a good relationship with the community here. I think you will be really happy with him, his drive is so off the charts. Combine that with the resources already there and its a bright future I think.

Tressel also left a bad taste in officials mouth because he had been questioned before about much bigger matters and wasn't overly cooperating. When this matter arose his first instinct was to throw some of his fellow OSU peeps under the bus. That turned a lot of people who could have helped him against him.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Never was
        Damn, I got to be familar with Urban as he started his career with ND and has had a good relationship with the community here. I think you will be really happy with him, his drive is so off the charts. Combine that with the resources already there and its a bright future I think.

Tressel also left a bad taste in officials mouth because he had been questioned before about much bigger matters and wasn't overly cooperating. When this matter arose his first instinct was to throw some of his fellow OSU peeps under the bus. That turned a lot of people who could have helped him against him.
        Don't know about throwing folks under the bus. Seems to me like he took a bullet for Gordon Gee and Gene Smith. I don't believe that he kept those two completely in the dark, do you?

Oh well, water under the bridge now.

Comment

• Never was
          Foot Soldier
          • May 2012

Yeah smaller programs get screwed definitely. Travel is a bigger factor out west but a flight from South Bend to Raleigh really isn't much different to Minneapolis. The big schools also will have the resources built in to support the student athlete again screwing smaller schools. The eyes of presidents are much different as they also look at grant money etc... from research.

Now OSU I can't imagine outside of the Big 10 but they could create a hell of a sports network in Ohio and be a beast to deal with. Be surprise if they did but would be an option.

I mention ND not that its typical just what I know after 25 years in the community in assorted roles.

Comment

• Never was
            Foot Soldier
            • May 2012

The Big East is the poster child for what can go wrong with a conference. It needs to be put down and out of its misery.

Boise St. is out of it now but I wonder if the might fit the big 10.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

HUGE win for the Bucks last night. They've been up and down this year, as it's always been a question of where the offense comes from after Deshaun. However, here they are with a chance for yet another share of a regular season title. Three wins this year now over teams in the top 4. Has anyone in the country played more games against top ten teams?

I think Aaron Craft just might be my favorite college basketball player. Maybe ever. He's not a great shooter, but he just goes 100% all the damn time.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2007

Spring game 1st qtr..

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Second qtr..

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2007

3rd qtr..

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2007

4th qtr..

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2007

...And of course, the annual pre-game circle drill....

Man, coach Meyer's intensity is through the roof. That kind of energy coming from the coaches was long overdue IMO, like a throwback to Meyer's early days under Earl Bruce, and that Colerain POS Kerry Coombs brings it as well.

Having a 3-time Super Bowl winner in Mike Vrabel on the sidelines as an asst. coach doesn't hurt, either.

If the Bucs, don't win it all this year, which they probably won't, they aren't too far away from doing it, that's for sure!

Only 5 of this year's recruiting class were on the field for the spring game...makes you wonder how positions might be filled by Aug. 31st.

Well, it was kind of obvious what Meyer wanted to work on...pass, pass, pass. If something bad should happen to Brax this season, Kenny Guiton is a great alternative. He deserves the chance to play in some games even if Miller doesn't get injured. I think that guy would start almost anywhere as good as he is.

Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington looked outstanding. Eli Apple broke up a potential TD pass in the end zone...

So, there are 2 stud Freshman coming in @ the LB spot this season in Mike Mitchell and Trey Johnson, Shazier is still there, tOSU is stacked at DB, Meyer recruited more tall,fast, physical DB's like Apple and Von Bell, and is experimenting with a 6-DB look.... Speed and toughness to defend the spread, and the bodies to play the 4-3 when needed. It's brilliant.

Urb's concern on offense is the RT position, which should be hammered out by fall, he said the TE's are "the best he's ever had", that Miller has made "quantum leaps" in improvement, that Carlos Hyde is a "grown ass man",

As far as the H-back is concerned, it's either Jordan Hall, or.....I'm going with Jalin Marshall. I think he will take the job from Hall, I really do.

Can someone tell me why I should NOT be pumped about this season? I can't wait...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2007

You have your "Roth-isms" that are pretty hilarious, how about some "Urb-isms"?

On complacency:

"Angry football teams are easy to coach....complacency is horrible."

"You're only allowed to lift them 3 days a week, and they only lift 3 days a week - that's called complacency. When you only lift 3 days a week, that's not a REAL college football player....3 days really means 5 days."

On recruiting:

"People are going to get tired of me saying this (about), night games, and I know the Big 10 has a tradition of not having many, and I love tradition, but I love recruiting better. Recruiting is really important in the game of college football....like REALLY important....like more important than anything else, you get my point? Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting...... And you know what's the most important thing after that? -Recruiting!!"

On ttun:

"Let's beat the SHIT out of M*ch*g*n."

On taking the job @ tOSU:

"..I had high expectations,..and I told Shelly (his wife) this when we started having conversations about Ohio State, is the quality of person that you deal with, from your generation, (points @ Kirk H) to the Eddie George generation, to the Archie Griffin generation, to when I was here with the Spielman generation.

You might have a stray guy once in a while, but in general terms, you're dealing with high-quality people. The bad guys don't survive. I think the coaches got far too much credit."

Urban Meyer is THE fucking man....

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

#2 in the preseason coaches poll. Now it's all on Urban's boys to deliver.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2007

95 days until The Game.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                                If I were a betting man, I'd say that the Big 10 would like to annihilate the ACC, and in doing so...force Notre Dame's hand...

I could see a scenario in which the Big 10 goes hard and heavy after some ACC teams hoping to tilt UNC...which would in tune...decimate the league....
                                I know It's old news now, but The ACC must have heard footsteps headed their way. Now the entire conference is locked down tighter than Corcoran after a gang riot.

Welcome to The Thunderdom....I mean the ACC. 2 teams enter, no team leaves.

How very "Soviet Union" of them.

Comment

Working...