• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Pete DiPrimio: Buckeyes a familiar sight for Quinn

« Back · 1 · 2

Nobody runs against the Buckeyes. They rank No. 1 in the nation in stopping the run, allowing 74.5 yards and 2.4 yards a carry. They rank fourth nationally in total defense and allow 14.8 points.

Does this mean Quinn could throw 50 to 60 times? Perhaps. He has, after all, thrown for 3,633 yards with 32 touchdowns against seven interceptions.

"It's fun watching Brady and (seeing) the progress he's made," Tressel said.

Quinn won't be the Fiesta Bowl's only progressing quarterback. Ohio State's Troy Smith has thrown for 14 touchdowns against four interceptions. He could be a big factor considering Notre Dame has allowed six opponents to throw for more than 300 yards.

Notre Dame and Ohio State are both at-large picks and their BCS selection left No. 6 Oregon (10-1) out of luck. The Ducks, who were fifth in the final BCS standings, one spot behind Ohio State and one spot ahead of Notre Dame, wound up in the Holiday Bowl against Oklahoma.

The Fiesta Bowl selection earned the Irish $14.8 million – the same as each conference makes for a BCS team. Next year their BCS share drops to $4.5 million, the same as conferences make for a second BCS team.

♦ To talk with Pete DiPrimio about Notre Dame football, go to "Ask Pete" under the "Sports" link at www.news-sentinel.com.

Up next

Kickoff: Notre Dame vs. Ohio State in Tempe, Ariz., Jan. 2

Radio: WRSW, 107.3-FM

TV: WPTA,

Ch. 21; Comcast

Ch. 7

Fast fact

♦ Notre Dame has lost seven straight bowl games.

For more news or to subscribe, please visit http://www.fortwayne.com

Copyright ��2004 Fort Wayne News Sentinel. All Rights Reserved.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Hawk wins the Lombardi Award...

Hawk becomes fifth Buckeye to claim Lombardi Award
      Dec. 7, 2005
      CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HOUSTON -- Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk won the Rotary Lombardi Award as the nation's top college lineman or linebacker Wednesday night, becoming the fifth Buckeyes player to receive the honor.

The other three finalists were Louisville defensive end Elvis Dumervil, Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny and Texas defensive tackle Rod Wright.

"Anyone who's up for any kind of award, it's a reflection of the team and the guys around them," said Hawk, Ohio State's leading tackler for three straight seasons. "A lot of people don't realize how much the other 10 guys out there help."

About 250 coaches, former finalists and media members voted for the award, given annually by the Houston Rotary Club. Chuck Poole, the event's public relations director, said the club doesn't release a breakdown of the votes.

Hawk is the first Buckeyes player to capture the award since Orlando Pace won for the second time in 1996. Jim Stillwagon (1970), John Hicks (1973) and Chris Spielman (1987) also won for Ohio State.

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Hawk was also named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year by a panel of coaches and media. He's also in the running for the Walter Camp (player of the year), Bednarik (best defensive player) and Butkus (best linebacker) awards.

The Lombardi Award was initiated by Houston's Rotary Club in 1970, shortly after its Hall of Fame namesake -- Vince Lombardi -- died of cancer.

The design of the 40-pound trophy -- a block of granite mounted on a steel base -- is a nod to Lombardi's college playing days. Before guiding the Green Bay Packers to victories in the first two Super Bowls, Lombardi was an offensive guard at Fordham in the 1930s, part of a unit nicknamed the "Seven Blocks of Granite."

Hawk was a little surprised to win. He couldn't pinpoint one performance where he felt as though he did everything right.

"It's tough to pick a best game because some games I made some big plays, but then missed a couple of tackles and didn't execute, and then other times, I didn't make big plays but felt like I did execute," he said. "Each game, there are always a couple of things I didn't like that I did."

Still, he did enough.

The senior led Ohio State this season with 109 tackles and 13 behind the line. He ranks fifth on the school's career tackles list with 382 heading into Ohio State's Fiesta Bowl matchup with Notre Dame.

He also led a defense that was the nation's best against the run, giving up only 74.5 yards per game. The Buckeyes also led the Big Ten in scoring, passing and total defense.
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Hawk becomes fifth Buckeye to claim Lombardi Award
        Dec. 7, 2005
        CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HOUSTON -- Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk won the Rotary Lombardi Award as the nation's top college lineman or linebacker Wednesday night, becoming the fifth Buckeyes player to receive the honor.

The other three finalists were Louisville defensive end Elvis Dumervil, Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny and Texas defensive tackle Rod Wright.

"Anyone who's up for any kind of award, it's a reflection of the team and the guys around them," said Hawk, Ohio State's leading tackler for three straight seasons. "A lot of people don't realize how much the other 10 guys out there help."

About 250 coaches, former finalists and media members voted for the award, given annually by the Houston Rotary Club. Chuck Poole, the event's public relations director, said the club doesn't release a breakdown of the votes.

Hawk is the first Buckeyes player to capture the award since Orlando Pace won for the second time in 1996. Jim Stillwagon (1970), John Hicks (1973) and Chris Spielman (1987) also won for Ohio State.

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Hawk was also named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year by a panel of coaches and media. He's also in the running for the Walter Camp (player of the year), Bednarik (best defensive player) and Butkus (best linebacker) awards.

The Lombardi Award was initiated by Houston's Rotary Club in 1970, shortly after its Hall of Fame namesake -- Vince Lombardi -- died of cancer.

The design of the 40-pound trophy -- a block of granite mounted on a steel base -- is a nod to Lombardi's college playing days. Before guiding the Green Bay Packers to victories in the first two Super Bowls, Lombardi was an offensive guard at Fordham in the 1930s, part of a unit nicknamed the "Seven Blocks of Granite."

Hawk was a little surprised to win. He couldn't pinpoint one performance where he felt as though he did everything right.

"It's tough to pick a best game because some games I made some big plays, but then missed a couple of tackles and didn't execute, and then other times, I didn't make big plays but felt like I did execute," he said. "Each game, there are always a couple of things I didn't like that I did."

Still, he did enough.

The senior led Ohio State this season with 109 tackles and 13 behind the line. He ranks fifth on the school's career tackles list with 382 heading into Ohio State's Fiesta Bowl matchup with Notre Dame.

He also led a defense that was the nation's best against the run, giving up only 74.5 yards per game. The Buckeyes also led the Big Ten in scoring, passing and total defense.

Comment

• conmee
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Mar 2003

I though A J Hawk was a fucking skateboarder, goddammit!!!!!

What's he doing playing college football?!?!?

That is all.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.
          An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
          hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

HOW CAN BLACK PLAYERS BE CATHOLIC?

THAT is all...

Comment

• conmee
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

What? Blacks can be catholic... it's blacks being Jews that is the head-scratcher... lmao

That is all.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.
              hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Wait...are catholics and jews different?

Comment

• conmee
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Mar 2003

Yes... the former believe in Christ, the latter killed him...

Dude, let's not start a race/religious war... it would be too easy... lol

That is all.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Comment

• redblkwht
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by conmee
                    What? Blacks can be catholic... it's blacks being Jews that is the head-scratcher... lmao

That is all.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.
                    HEY BABE..

WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF ME MAN?

AM I CHOPPED LIVER?

EUAS

Comment

• redblkwht
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Within 24 hrs i will know if im going to the fiesta..

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAN I WANT TO GO!

EUAS

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Well...are you going or what...

you at least have to tailgate hombre...

you ain't seen nuttin' until you've seen an OSU tailgate for a big game...

Comment

• redblkwht
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Still waiting, im thinking he woulda told us..
                          unless he got a case of amnesia, pisses me off
                          & she wont go out of her way to call.
                          Tues I'll cll him if i have no answer

I will tailgate ive heard the stories bro, im there if
                          were in the game.

EUAS

Comment

• redblkwht
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

No word yet..getting pissed.
                            did i mention go Bucks?

EUAS

Comment

• conmee
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

I love you like a brother RBW, but let's face it, the tickets ain't comin' and you'll be watching the game on a big screen like the rest of us... lmao

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

lmfao...you Icon...

why don't you call your connections...get you and I tix...and fly down...

we'll both goto the game...

and crash at RBW's to tell him about it afterwards...

Comment

Working...