X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
    I've never heard of it, that could contribute to it...

EDIT: Oh wait, yes I have, it's the two San Diego shows from 1984. I have both. They're quite good
    I was at the May 20th show, it's my avatar...
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ace diamond
      Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      I don't give a shit about any others, just give me Oakland '81, and I'll die with a smile on my face....
      i've already posted a verified 2nd gen audience boot of the 2nd night.
      i got it from lou over at ddlr.
      as for the best 1984 boot, quebec city.
      they played "summertime blues" and "ice cream man" only on that show.
      also, san francisco 1982 is a killer boot.
      they play "d.o.a." and it is from a radio broadcast.
      providence, RI 1981 is an awesome fucking show.
      tour opener.
      they play a cover of little richard's "lucille".
      milwaukee 1980 is a great show.
      dave mentions about a "tour movie" they are making.

fresno 1979 is the opening show of the "vh2 world vacation tour" and it fucking kicks major ass!
      fresno 1978 and hammersmith odeon 1978 are lethally killer boots!
      Last edited by ace diamond; 09-03-2010, 04:12 PM.
      Originally posted by hideyoursheep
      When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
      "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
        Sniper
        • Oct 2009

That being said, 81 tour bootlegs are still hit or miss
        Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

You could say the same for almost all audience recordings, right up until the early nineties. Outside of soundboard tapes, some guy standing in the audience surrounded by screaming fans, using a tape recorder most likely bought at K Mart or a drug store had some fairly weak chances of capturing a show with any fidelity.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vanhalen1r2
            Head Fluffer
            • May 2006

The London 1980 boot is good.
            “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.”

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by vanhalen1r2
              The London 1980 boot is good.
              Yes, but be very careful which of the 3 or so versions you get, man. My copy (London Invasion) is apparently copied from vinyl, and the source tapes for it were way too slow, so it wound up playing faster than normal when it was transferred. And for some reason, "YRGM" is missing from it.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vanhalen1r2
                Head Fluffer
                • May 2006

Originally posted by chefcraig
                Yes, but be very careful which of the 3 or so versions you get, man. My copy (London Invasion) is apparently copied from vinyl, and the source tapes for it were way too slow, so it wound up playing faster than normal when it was transferred. And for some reason, "YRGM" is missing from it.
                That sucks, I will be wary of that.
                “A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.”

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                  Sniper
                  • Oct 2009

I remember there were a few copies floating around... They all scared me
                  Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• Little Texan
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

California Calling is another clear sounding boot, but of course it is from the video of the US Festival, and not one of Van Halen's better performances since they were all shitfaced drunk!
                    Last edited by Little Texan; 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                      Sniper
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Little Texan
                      California Calling is another clear sounding boot, but of course it is from the video of the US Festival, and not one of Van Halen's better performances since they were all shitfaced drunk!
                      I thought they performed pretty good. Definitely shitfaced but they put on a great show... Except for Dave. His timeless words in Romeo Delight fail to leave my mind: "I FORGOT THE FUCKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN' WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORDS!"

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

I thought they performed pretty good. Definitely shitfaced but they put on a great show... Except for Dave. His timeless words in Romeo Delight fail to leave my mind: "I FORGOT THE FUCKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN' WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORDS!"
                        Apparently, they stuck in Dave's head as well, as he repeated that line in the exact same place in the song for years! As for the performance, I'd always seen it complete with the video footage, and with the audio the two combined forgive a great deal. It wasn't until I listened to a boot of the audio only did I realize just what a sloppy, messed up and all over the place performance it really was.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...