Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Slightly relevant, but I have become an expert at downloading various video files, converting to MPG and burning to DVD.

Though I am going to have to get a blu-ray burner sometime in the next year or so. DVD only holds 4 Gigs of stuff. Dual-Layer DVDs are a pain in the ass...the layer break presents more problems than not.

So I would LOVE to have a blu-ray burner where I had 25 gigs of space on a single disc. I also do not trust hard drives. Solid State hard drives are a different story. I would think they would be much more reliable than a standard HD.

Right now I have 3 mid-tower PCs and a laptop LOADED with mpg files. I have been slowly transferring VHS tapes to mpg, and have just not gotten around to burning the files to DVD yet.

Would love to just throw them on a blu-ray for data storage. I probably have 3TB of mpgs on my machines right now.

Ugh.....with the advent of personal computers, we have all become librarians now. I spend a LOT of fucking time simply managing the files I have.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

I attempted to download the 3/1 MSG show, and it was downloading for several minutes, but cancelled abruptly...

When I retried, it said "permission denied"....

Probably doing something wrong...
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jagermeister
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mr Walker
        I also keep everything on drives. For the car I'll convert flacs to apple lossless and play them through my ipod. On the downstairs TV I watch videos through a PS3 that is hardwired to my router. For the upstairs TV I have a portable HD that I plug into my bluray player.
        That shit worked Walker. I have to get a faster router though.

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          I attempted to download the 3/1 MSG show, and it was downloading for several minutes, but cancelled abruptly...

When I retried, it said "permission denied"....

Probably doing something wrong...
          Where are you DL it from and what client are you using? Usually when that happens there is something wrong with the torrent. I would delete what you DL so far and start over.

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
            That shit worked Walker. I have to get a faster router though.
            Is there anyway for you to connect a wire right from the router to the PS3?

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Is there anyway for you to connect a wire right from the router to the PS3?
              No. I am going to have to get into the 21st century and get cable Internet. I have DSL right now. If I get cable I can more easily connect direct. Unless? There is a phone line upstairs. I might be able to move the modem up there. hmmm

Part of the problem is that Indy DVD is 720p. It may never stream right.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Where are you DL it from and what client are you using? Usually when that happens there is something wrong with the torrent. I would delete what you DL so far and start over.
                Doc is gonna provide me with compatible files for Ipod for that show....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

No. I am going to have to get into the 21st century and get cable Internet. I have DSL right now. If I get cable I can more easily connect direct. Unless? There is a phone line upstairs. I might be able to move the modem up there. hmmm

Part of the problem is that Indy DVD is 720p. It may never stream right.
                  phone line is the easiest thing to run and hook up. there are also plenty of inexpensive 50 foot CAT5 cables out there, a little harder to run in finished walls or hide but not anything too difficult.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
                    Sniper
                    • Apr 2004

I don't have the bandwidth that I used to to download every show. Any of the videos stand out above the others in quality? This and the realtime show threads are as close as I'm gonna get to this tour.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
                      I don't have the bandwidth that I used to to download every show. Any of the videos stand out above the others in quality? This and the realtime show threads are as close as I'm gonna get to this tour.
                      IMO the best DVD i've seen so far is the indy show that's up at JTT.
                      Let me know if you need a copy.

Comment

• Cato
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I want a copy of it.
                        Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

IMO the best DVD i've seen so far is the indy show that's up at JTT.
                          Let me know if you need a copy.
                          Ok. What's the deal with DVD9?

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i have found that dual layer is not the big problem that a lot of people make it out to be.

burn one, if it hangs or skips during the layer switch then rip the VOB to one video file and watch it that way.

and oh yeah, this is still the link i post for noobs with video problems... www.videohelp.com
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Ok. What's the deal with DVD9?
                              It just means you need to burn it to a dual layer disc.
                              The best software for burning dvds is imgburn (or something like that). It's free but can't post a link now since I'm using my phone.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by twonabomber
                                i have found that dual layer is not the big problem that a lot of people make it out to be.

burn one, if it hangs or skips during the layer switch then rip the VOB to one video file and watch it that way.

and oh yeah, this is still the link i post for noobs with video problems... www.videohelp.com
                                It just means you need to burn it to a dual layer disc.
                                The best software for burning dvds is imgburn (or something like that). It's free but can't post a link now since I'm using my phone.

Right on.

Not sure I'm a noob twona but thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...