Music Industry Suing Bars That Feature Cover Bands!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by monkeythe
    I don't believe this applies to cover bands despite the misleading thread title. This relates to businesses playing music in their places to create a certain mood or ambiance. Stores & clubs can play the radio free of charge but once they play recorded music they can get in trouble. That is what they mean by performing copyrighted music, not a band playing cover tunes.
    Not quite right.

It has nothing to do with radio/recorded / mood/ambiance. And it's not the cover bands they're after.

Anyone who CHARGES money [club owners / bar owners ] to hear a performance of copyrighted material is subject to royalty fees.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
      Oh crap. Geuss my band cant do covers now... lol
      Knock yourself out. But the c;lub booking you may have to pay ASCAP or BMI a fee.

Caution: Unscrupulous club owners and booking agents may try and pass this "fee" along to a band by witholding part of the payment due for the night's performance.

I've seen it all over the years
      Originally posted by Kristy
      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
      Originally posted by cadaverdog
      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Figs
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

"resulting in lost income" - my ass!

This would be complete bullshit. There's not a lot of venues for unknown original acts as it is. Fuckers. This kind of control is probably the reason there hasn't been a true giant in music in a looooong time.

Comment

• tydhurst
          Commando
          • Mar 2004

The folks who published the first dictionary will have to start cllecting fees off of everyone for using their words. Ho ho!
          Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

Working...