ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

i bet i can't

actually i probably can
    Originally posted by flappo
    i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
    translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• diamondD
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

Last summer, they played a show here, and the night before the concert, Brett came down to the restaurant of the hotel they were staying at. There's a sushi bar there I was at and he played some acoustic songs. Not really surprised after hearing him that night that this is something he wanted to try.
      Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• BrownSound1
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
        Cool move to me.

Right now, a lot of country tunes are closer to Vintage VH than anything on rock radio. "Hell Yeah" Montgomery Gentry, "Good Little Girls" Blue County, "Chicks Dig It" think Chris Cagle, "One Hot Mama" Trace Adkins...

Plus think of the the almost-country sounds of Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top and the like.

Hardly a sell-out move by Michaels. Seems more like finding an audience for the music he's already makin'. Hell, our own DLR has dabbled in Vegas show tunes and a Travis Tritt duet.
        Dude, if you would have had the whole country thing crammed down your throat since birth like I have you would feel a lot differently about it.

Country music today is this, a huge songwriting machine that spits out songs to be recorded by cookie cutter artists. (Sounds like pop music doesn't it.) No one has any originality anymore, and that is what is most sickening to me. Although I never cared much for the music, I will tip my hat to anyone who does their own thing, and frankly those people aren't making music anymore.

BTW, never liken ZZ Top to country again...They don't sound like any country, if anything some country bastard ripped THEM off. SRV?? you should be shot for even thinking that. Don't confuse a "Southern" sound with country, because they aren't the same thing.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

SRV's biggest influence was Jimi Hendrix, which is obvious from his style of playing and his choice of cover tunes. If there's anything "country" included in his blues sound, it must be a subconscious thing from growing up in Texas.

Now on the other hand, I do remember a few ZZ Top songs that were borderline country, with steel guitars and all. And they DO wear cowboy hats on stage sometimes. But not enough that the Nashville establishment is begging for their next album.

As for country bastards ripping them off, it's probably no surprise that ZZ Top, Skynyrd, The Allmans, and every other southern rock band of the last 30 years has influenced modern country as much as Hank Williams or Johnny Cash.

Far as I'm concerned, it's all good. I can find something worth listening to in just about any form of music. Except boybands, disco, and cheese ballads.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• PhxRocker

In my opinion there's a big difference between Country and Southern Rock, and it fucking pisses me off when people confuse the two!

I love good Southern Rock like: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot, ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, etc......but I HATE Country music!

SRV wasn't so much a Southern Rock artist as he was a Blues artist....

Comment

Working...