• Jan 2004

Keef was MIA for this one bigtime!

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
      Keef was MIA for this one bigtime!

Memo from Turner probably came from the same sessions as "Jamming With Edward". It would seem logical anyway, as Ry Cooder probably didn't play with the Stones very often.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        Memo from Turner probably came from the same sessions as "Jamming With Edward". It would seem logical anyway, as Ry Cooder probably didn't play with the Stones very often.
        Didn't he have some work on "Let It Bleed?"

I'm pretty sure he was credited on something.

One thing's for sure, he didn't need no rare glass bottle to be the king of the slide geetar.

I remember reading some Billy Gibbons quote....said some shit about Cooder using his bare fingers....he was like, "that about sums it up don't it?"

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          Pearl Jam didn't exist in 1989. They were still called Mother Love Bone in those days.
          Followed by the west coast run with AIC under the name Mookie Blaylock

Personally, The Strolling Bones are a mere caricature of their former selves in my book.

I think enough is enough

Let it Be.
          Originally posted by Kristy
          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
          Originally posted by cadaverdog
          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Didn't he have some work on "Let It Bleed?"

I'm pretty sure he was credited on something.

One thing's for sure, he didn't need no rare glass bottle to be the king of the slide geetar.

I remember reading some Billy Gibbons quote....said some shit about Cooder using his bare fingers....he was like, "that about sums it up don't it?"
            I'm guessing that Mick was considering Ry as a replacement for Brian Jones, since these sessions all seem to be 68/69 era, and that Keith didn't get along with him, since they never appear to be in the studio at the same time. Leading of course to the decision to hire Mick Taylor. Which of source was a great decision in my book.

And yes, Ry Cooder played the mandolin on the studio version of "Love In Vain". But that wasn't really a stellar rendition of the song compared to how they played it live w/ Mick T.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Ry Cooder was the one who introduced Mick and Keith to open G tuning, which Keith has employed ever since.

Cooder was also the one - Keith fessed up to this - to write the guitar intro and many of the riffs of Honky Tonk Women. The version on Let It Bleed - "Country Honk" - is closer to how MICK first wrote the tune. The stones were experimenting in the studio with how to rock it up, and it was Cooder who came up with the approach we all know and revere today.

Keith would apparently leave the studio whenever Keith came in...I'm betting Keith felt intimidated. Maybe they just couldn't "jam" together. BUT THEY WOULD ALWAYS CONTINUE TO ROLL TAPE WHILE COODER CONTINUED PLAYING. Eventually, Ry caught on.

I believe he also plays on Sticky Fingers "I've Got the Blues"...or is that "Sister Morphine"? It's definitely one of those.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                Veteran
                • Feb 2005

Ry plays slide on Sister Morphine.

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
                  Ry plays slide on Sister Morphine.
                  Shit! That dude's good!

Comment

• academic punk
                    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

He's incredible. Boomer's Story is a great album of his.

He also plays a lot of guitar on John Hiatt's Bring the Family. Fuckin' awesome musician.

(he's also the brains behind Buena Vista Social Club and a collaboratin with an african musician by the name of Ali Farka Toure. The album is called Talking Timbuktu. Great stuff.

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Years back, (mid-nineties) Mick Taylor wandered through town with Bobby Keyes, One of the Neville brothers, and some other people. The band was called "Tumblin' Dice"....he had put on more than a few pounds .

He also put on a clinic....just flawless....the instrumental version of "Can't ya hear me knockin'"?

Bobby Keyes and Mick Taylor....'nuff said.

Comment

• rustoffa
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk The album is called Talking Timbuktu. Great stuff.
                        If that's the one with the Tiki vibe to it, It's VERY good.

So many fucking burned discs...alot of which have burned sharpie documentation on 'em.

Comment

• academic punk
                          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

If that's the one with the Tiki vibe to it, It's VERY good.

So many fucking burned discs...alot of which have burned sharpie documentation on 'em.

I think oyu may be thinking of John Hiatt's "The Tiki Bar is Open".

But yeah, Talking Timbuktu definitely has an international, African feel to it.

Check it out on Amazon, hear a clip, and see if that's the one you're talking about.

Comment

• rustoffa
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                            I think oyu may be thinking of John Hiatt's "The Tiki Bar is Open".

But yeah, Talking Timbuktu definitely has an international, African feel to it.

Check it out on Amazon, hear a clip, and see if that's the one you're talking about.
                            Mambo Sinuendo was the one I was referring to. LOL, I'll have to go find it.

Amazon is a wealth of memory restoring.

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Mambo Sinuendo was the one I was referring to. LOL, I'll have to go find it.

Amazon is a wealth of memory restoring.
                              That was his latest I believe. Haven't heard it. Good?

Comment

• rustoffa
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

I've heard it like maybe twice. A friend of mine burned me a copy after listening to it while he showed off his latest stratocaster collection addition.

For some reason, I remember it having a nice, mellow, "Tiki" vibe.....that dude has a Easter Island lookin' tiki statue in his guitar room. That fucking thing is annoying, and could very well have influenced the initial description.

In summary, it's an atmospheric masterpiece that any motherfucker in his right mind would smoke some hash to.

Comment

Working...