Anyone Else Think U2 is the next Rolling Stones?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

"Anyone Else Think U2 is the next Rolling Stones?"

NO...Their the 'STONES Minus the ATTITUDE...and the TALENT.

Comment

• degüello
      Sniper
      • Mar 2004

Well, I'm just as fucking sick of U2 as I am the Stones, so that may count for something.
      "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
        Sniper
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Fookin' U2 Rules!!!!...
        I can't think of a more bland, boring band on face of the fucking planet, right now.

U2 are the fucking CD that every Dockers-wearing, Volkswagen-driving, Starbucks-drinking fucking lame-ass bore wants to throw into the player at every dead party in 30-something suburbia.
        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Keeyth
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2004

Awesome avatar deguello...
          Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• degüello
            Sniper
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Keeyth
            Awesome avatar deguello...
            Thanks!

Comment

• Keeyth
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2004

Oh, and to answer the question this thread asks... ...uh, NO!
              Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by degüello
                I can't think of a more bland, boring band on face of the fucking planet, right now.
                See 'em live. They're anything but bland. I will admit that their last three outings album wise have been a bit on the bland side. But really, name me an overwhelmingly exciting rock band now? Name me a more interesting act still putting out consistently decent music after all these years...

U2 are the fucking CD that every Dockers-wearing, Volkswagen-driving, Starbucks-drinking fucking lame-ass bore wants to throw into the player at every dead party in 30-something suburbia.
                Well congratulations, you've just named virtually every band on the current Rock pantheon. Granted, U2's stuff is a bit bland, but I 'll take their mediocre subpar efforts over 95% of the shitty wrap-metal acts today has to offer.

And there was a time that U2 was very cutting edge (no pun intended) and set the cadence for rock and had every act trying to emulate them to some extent (even VAN HAGAR with their handycam concert antics and their "deep," social-commentary cheese-fest lyrics on F.U.C.K. and BALANCE. Download a sbd ZooTV boot from circa 1992-1993, and you'll never hear a more relevant band. Unfortunately, they got lost in trying to "one-up" themselves.
                Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-13-2005, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• degüello
                  Sniper
                  • Mar 2004

See 'em live. They're anything but bland...
                  I have, actually. Two times- once on the ZooTV tour (centre floor) and once on the Pop tour. I even tried to go for the All That You Can't... show, but decided that $500 for a single ticket was a bit much.

And yes, the concerts were "anything but bland" (although the Pop gig was a definite disappointment, even though I liked that album), but those were pretty much NEARLY TEN OR MORE FUCKING YEARS AGO. They've long since ceased to be anything beyond a ho-hum, "everybody's favourite," safe, predictable, self-important bore.

I've reached a saturation point, I suppose. If I honestly hear one single Joshua song at any point in the near future, I may turn around and shoot whatever sap happens to be anywhere in the near vicinity. I can't stand Bono anymore and I can't stand their dull, over-done, over-worn, long since muted and long since played-out, static, bloated energy.

Yes, they did make fairly monumental rock music at one point, but the spark is long since gone, and it's been a bland, bland, very un-rock 'n' roll ride ever since.

Comment

• degüello
                    Sniper
                    • Mar 2004

... Well congratulations, you've just named virtually every band on the current Rock pantheon. Granted, U2's stuff is a bit bland, but I 'll take their mediocre subpar efforts over 95% of the shitty wrap-metal acts today has to offer...
                    I disagree. There's far more life and verve in a single verse from Coldplay's X&Y than a whole CD's worth of current U2. And obviously I acknowledge the former's enormous debt to the latter, but they're still doing it with way more energy and oomph than U2 has in fucking years.

The Dublin boys need to either light a fire under their bloated, self-important asses or toss in the goddamn towel and stop boring us all to death.

I also dig The Killers' "Mr. Brightside" and The White Stripes' "Blue Orchid," among others.

All new stuff ain't shit.

Comment

• LittleDreamer81
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Aug 2005

I've never dig neither of em! They both kinda weak to me, imo!!!

Comment

• degüello
                        Sniper
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by LittleDreamer81
                        I've never dig neither of em! They both kinda weak to me, imo!!!
                        Touché.

Comment

• thome
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                          a friend of mine works as an engineer and producer in the studio where U2 recorded "achtung baby" in berlin...he said that they were all very friendly and down to earth guys...I'll give them that...though bono's lifelong march for worldpeace is annoying...
                          Rite on DLN Life long march for his 10th mansion at a fools expense.

Comment

• thome
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Mar 2005

Fookin' U2 Rules!!!! Who cares what BONO's politics is?
                            thats like saying Hitler loved his dog so he must be a great guy

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by thome
                              thats like saying Hitler loved his dog so he must be a great guy
                              uh uh...hitler and bono in the same sentence is...well...unexpected...?
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• thome
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                                uh uh...hitler and bono in the same sentence is...well...unexpected...?
                                Yes, a bit extreme i take it back .

More like, I tripped on the side walk on a small pebble fell and skinned
                                my knee. So its Bushes fault( Because of Bonos excessive whinning.)

for not paying enough attention to
                                the infrustructure of this country.

Comment

Working...