Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WACF
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Rik's vocals are waaay better than Gil's.

I had no idea what Rik was up to these days.
    Last I heard of him was years ago...I picked up his solo album and was hugely disapointed.
    I had thought he had vanished...at least he did here on the prairies.

Too bad they could not of held it together...

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

Triumph was as classic as VH with Roth. Regardless of how big Triumph became, they were, and remain, totally underrated. Slash himself called Rik Emmett "Completely Underrated". I've always said that Rik could kick Kirk Hammett's ass anyday on guitar. I don't remember listening to any of their earlier material (Thunder 7 and earlier) and not being completely impressed with their overall sound, musicianship and lyrics.

It's a shame that we live in a world where prix like Marilyn Manson and Sammy Hagar are still getting recognition for pure bullshit.

I say we need more David Lee Roths and Triumphs back in music.

Defense rests your honour, no further questions, case dismissed.
      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• PhxRocker

Triumph was a kick-ass band back in the day!

Saw them here in Phoenix back in the summer of `79
        and saw them again at the US Festival 1983.
        Both times they absolutely KILLED!

My favorite Triumph album is called "Progressions Of Power" from, I believe, 1980 or `81.
        Listen to "I Live For The Weekend", "I Can Survive", and "Nature's Child" from that album....fucking KILLER!!

Comment

• rucalobe
          Roadie
          • Jan 2004

Triumph rocked indeed. I saw them back in 1979 and totally blew me away with their live renditions of 'Rock n' Roll Machine', 'Hold On', and 'American Girls'

Too bad that they vanished...at least we have their CDs (same goes with Classic Van Halen)

"Van Hagar can't match Van Halen. Ever!!!"
          Rick Nielsen, Cheap Trick (circa 1995)
          "Dave, these motherfuckers are out of line!!!"

Comment

• degüello
            Sniper
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by pardo
            Yeah, Rik thinks he's Leona Boyde now or somethin...
            HA!

Very true. You always have a funny way of putting things, pardo.
            "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
              Sniper
              • Mar 2004

I actually saw Triumph at their last show together, think I was in grade 9, at Canada's Wonderland, just outside of Toronto. With my whole fucking family, and aunts and cousins too .

Didn't know it'd be their last one together at the time, though. I was at a friend's house couple days later wearing the shirt, and his mom said, "they're breaking up, eh?" To which I responded, "no way, just saw them live... they rocked..."

Then she showed me the article in the paper all about the split. Think it was literally just a couple days after the show.

Anyways, Triumph's definitely a band that hasn't stood the test of time for me. Now when I hear them, it's unbearably cheesy and hokey sounding (sorry).

Anybody hear the faux-reunion album without Rik Emmett?
              A guy named Phil X took his place (used to play with Aldo Nova; I saw him clubs around Toronto all the time, was the local hot axe dude).

Didn't cause too much of a stir; wasn't much sense to it (kind of like a Rothless VH "reunion"..."
              "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

I liked Triumph, but never owned any of their albums except for Thunder 7 and the live album Stages. I had a friend though that worshipped Rik Emmett, so I heard all of their stuff through him. Some of it I thought was awesome...some of it was just standard rock fare. Rik was very versatile on guitar..which is probably what I enjoyed the most about the band.

Comment

Working...