Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High Life Man
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

Here's a review of the show I was at on Friday...

...and the author actually uses 'rawk.' Fuck this douchebag.

Darkness milks classic-rock cliches, lets laughs roll with unabashed camp
    By JON M. GILBERTSON
    Special to the Journal Sentinel
    Posted: March 27, 2004
    Friday night at the Eagles Ballroom, the Darkness came to rawk hard, loud and long. To entertain.

The UK quartet sold out the venue, but that mere bottom-line consideration wasn't proof of successful entertainment. No - that came when lead singer and guitarist Justin Hawkins joined his band onstage in vest and fringed pink chaps (under which he thoughtfully wore trousers).

As one fan noted after seeing Hawkins' outfit, "It's like Spinal Tap," and that affinity - a heavy thesaurus of classic-rock cliches, flipped through for laughs - was evident among the older portion of the crowd. For the teenagers, the attraction was probably that Hawkins and company were a fun "new" experience after years of Korn, P.O.D., Limp Bizkit and all the other angst-infected growlers.

It didn't hurt that the evening's music, as taken from the band's briskly selling debut "Permission to Land," was nothing but busy guitar solos, diabetes-inducing melodies and happy-go-lucky lyrics that, in the case of "Givin' Up," made even heroin addiction sound like a lark in the park.

Delivering those lyrics, Hawkins fully utilized his piercingly strong falsetto and elastic pitch. He also indulged a camp style equal parts vaudevillian and drag queen and shamelessly pilfered fave rawk moves and looks, including David Lee Roth's split kicks, Freddie Mercury's alarming sartorial taste (a red-striped jumpsuit?) and AC/DC guitarist Angus Young's crunchy riffs.

Although the result suggested that combining rock-icon DNA would be inadvisable, it also propelled songs such as the power ballad "Love Is Only a Feeling" and the jaunty "Friday Night" past their own limitations. Listening to "Permission to Land" gets exhausting after about three songs, but watching Hawkins flounce and banter through the same material live was amusingly pleasurable.

Hawkins wasn't so hot at momentum, particularly during the costume changes, when he left his brother and second guitarist Dan Hawkins in charge of killing time. Plus, after about 45 minutes, even the unveiling of the rarely-gets-old single "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was like topping up a meal of cotton candy with . . . more cotton candy. Fortunately, the Darkness stopped before nausea took hold.

Another UK four-piece, the Wildhearts, was a well-chosen opening act: Like the headliner, this band was bombastic, unoriginal and a good time. Coating tight hard rock in sugary Cheap Trick harmonies, the Wildhearts also came to rawk. And did.

From the March 28, 2004 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Comment

• High Life Man
      Commando
      • Jan 2004

BTW - Wildhearts sucked.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Glasto boss wants The Darkness to say sorry

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis wants The Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins to apologise for saying the festival "rubbished" them.

Hawkins claimed organisers said The Darkness wouldn't be around by the time of this year's festival and refused to book them.

But Mr Eavis said: "There is no suggestion that we rubbished them whatsoever. I hope I can get some kind of apology because he's got it all wrong."

The Sunsays among the big names appearing at this year's event are Oasis, Muse and Paul McCartney.
        Originally posted by flappo
        i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
        translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Darkness cancel gig after Justin loses voice

The Darkness have had to cancel a concert in the US after Justin Hawkins lost his voice.

They pulled out of the gig in Cleveland, only two hours before they were due on stage.

Fans were already lining up outside the club when the band made the decision to cancel halfway through their soundcheck.

"I am deeply saddened that we won't be able to play for our fans in Cleveland tonight," Hawkins said in the statement.

"Cleveland is one of the greatest rock and roll cities in the world, and we are all eagerly looking forward to playing our first gig there.

"Unfortunately, it is literally impossible for me to sing at the moment, but we promise to make it up to them just as soon as possible."

It comes just four shows into The Darkness's first full US tour in which all venues have been upgraded because of strong ticket demand.

It is not known whether any more of the band's US dates will be affected.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• S.P.G

i just looked at the forum at www.thedarknessrock.com

they should have studied this site before they jumped into creating a board

it shit and and really naff to use!

Comment

• S.P.G

how comes you haven't joined yet grimsdale?

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
                [B]Darkness cancel gig after Justin loses voice

The Darkness have had to cancel a concert in the US after Justin Hawkins lost his voice.

Ha Ha

Him losing his voice is a good thing.

Sing higher than Rob Halford my foot.
                sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by S.P.G
                  how comes you haven't joined yet grimsdale?
                  i did many months ago!

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

PIGS IN KNICKERS!

omae baka dana?

Comment

• tydhurst
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2004

They've beenaround in britain for at least nine months with that bloody thing called hype song. It's not good music. Most trendy people use it as a stop-gap because they like Queen and AC/DC and can't think of what to listen to next!!!
                      Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

that's cos there is nothing else around at the moment to fill those requirements

stop touching that seal!

omae baka dana?

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

i bought there new album, Permission to Land. And, its really good! if anyone wants it free of of me, i will email it to u. my email address is no1kissfan@Bellsouth.net. just holler if u want it. or, could u tell me how to upload songs to Rotharmy.com so i can cut out the middle man?

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                            Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

no1kissfan@bellsouth.net

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                              Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

ok

Comment

• tobinentinc
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Apr 2004

The Darkness Kick Ass!! Best band releasing stuff today that's mainstreem enough w/ kids. I love 'em.
                                http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

Working...