• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR_EngineRoom
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    True true.

To me, Creatures is probably the best Non-Ace/Peter album.

It was a great comeback as far as the album went.
    It IS the best Non-ACE/PETER album.

My guess is that it was Eric's tribute to Bonzo, that tragically died that same year.
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

"Creatures" is probably the KISS album that I always overlook, but not because it's not good. I always kind of associate it with an era that had the original band officially done- (even if Ace's face appeared on the album cover. )

But on the whole, the album was really well done and pretty godamn heavy. Along with Lick it Up, I pull this platter out quite a bit when I need a dose of nostalgia for my high school days.
      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I was the kid who's whole room was cover with KISS posters. Then this little band called Van Halen broke onto the scene in 1978. I quickly forgot about KISS. I still like KISS but yeah, it's got to be pre 1978 stuff. Give me Rock and Roll Over, Love Gun, the Alive Albums.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Mezro
          Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
          "Creatures" is probably the KISS album that I always overlook...
          Creatures is the CD I listen to the most.

Mezro...it is my favorite KISS CD ever...BTW...if you pick up a copy of the original vinyl, the drums are even heavier in the mix...years later when George Marino (sp?) remastered the calalog he turned the drums down a notch...not fucking sure why...
          Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
            I can agree with you regarding 1979 onward but.....Creatures???

That was one of the best all time 'comeback' albums. The entire album screams 'Heavy Metal', most notably Eric Carr's 'Wall Of Sound' type of Bonham drumming.....
            Had said 'parts of Creatures'. Not trying to split hairs, but rather qualify:some tracks totally rocked, and there are a few tracks that lay to waste entire albums such as Unmasked, The Elder and Lick It Up, which are the releases that were released during/around the Creatures period. Can't say that I dig the thing from start to finish, though. Was probably Carr's best reccorded work with KISS, but I'm biased because I'm a traditionalist where KISS is concerned. Kinda close-minded of me, but if it's not Ace, Peter, Gene and Paul, I don't consider it KISS. It becomes something else. Carr was really underused in that band as far as what wound up on record, no doubt.

Creatures WAS probably one of the better non-Ace/Peter KISS releases, up there with Revenge, definitely agreed.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

In terms of "Creatures" and KISS, one thing I have never liked is that Paul will always do "I Still Love You" in concert to this day. It just brings down the whole show, even if it's not a terrible song.
              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                In terms of "Creatures" and KISS, one thing I have never liked is that Paul will always do "I Still Love You" in concert to this day. It just brings down the whole show, even if it's not a terrible song.
                One thing that gets overlooked with Creatures was that the North American tour (82-83) was probably KISS' biggest flop of a tour ever.

Half empty arenas, cancelled shows because of poor ticket sales.

There is a story that DLR himself attended a KISS show in late 1982. Van Halen were scheduled to play the next night as part of the Diver Down tour. There, as KISS barely filled the seats, Dave was backstage cracking jokes about it. Hilarious!

Anyhow, Creatures is a great album, however it only went Gold and the tour stunk.

With the exception of the Brazil shows (200,000 in attendance!)
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Mezro
                  Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                  One thing that gets overlooked with Creatures was that the North American tour (82-83) was probably KISS' biggest flop of a tour ever.
                  Mezro...always thought the Revenge tour stunk it up more than Creatures...
                  Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• Diver Down NJ
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jun 2004

Hot in the Shade - I thought it was OK at the time, but anything that followed Crazy Night was going to sound like Led Zeppelin II. I like Rise To It, and was pretty jacked when they played the video and Gene and Paul put the makeup back on.

Crazy Nights - I bought this on cassette when it first came out. I lost it in a poker game a year later and never bothered to get it back. What a bullshit album this was.

Psycho Circus - Reunion album my asscheeks. What a bunch of crap this was. Formulaic anthem rock at its worst.

Carnival of Souls - So bad I didn't even buy a copy.

For the record, I dig the Peter Criss album. Yeah, it's weak and poppy compared to a regular Kiss album but so what? I dig the vibe and I think most of the songs are good.

Unmasked is OK, but it's basically Dynasty lite. Torpedo Girl is a cool song that could've benefitted from beefier production. I know I shouldn't like this album but I do.

Animalize and Asylum are so-so, but I can think of a handful of songs on both that I really like.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      I was the kid who's whole room was cover with KISS posters. Then this little band called Van Halen broke onto the scene in 1978. I quickly forgot about KISS. I still like KISS but yeah, it's got to be pre 1978 stuff. Give me Rock and Roll Over, Love Gun, the Alive Albums.
                      lol...exactly "my way"!
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Mezro
                        Mezro...always thought the Revenge tour stunk it up more than Creatures...
                        Rumour was that the Revenge Tour was supposed to be the "reunion" tour. There were rumours that there were dressing rooms built under the stage, and the band was to disappear into the stage, then re-appear in full KISS makeup. With Peter and Ace to finish the show. I imagine this idea was scrapped for many reasons. I have to figure that there would be no point in doing a whole tour like that, since after the first show, everyone would know about it already.
                        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                          lol...exactly "my way"!
                          I dunno......oh I dunno.....

My Way...I thought that was one of the best 'unmasked' songs KISS recorded.......freakin' loove that song!

and I also loooooooooved 'Psycho Circus'........not a weak track on that CD.....IMO.....tour was underrated too........original 4, how do you beat that?
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                          http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
                            and I also loooooooooved 'Psycho Circus'........not a weak track on that CD.....IMO.....tour was underrated too........original 4, how do you beat that?
                            with only studio musicians on the fucking album?
                            Roth Army Icon
                            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

I love how Gene still tries to justify that. A fan'll ask: "How come PSYCHO CIRCUS is recorded by studio musicians and not the original band?" Gene'll then give some big story about how Ace and Peter didn't play well, and Ace was drinking and the big-bad producer decided to go with studio musicians and then try and claim that he and Paul had to listen to him. Then the fan will say: "But you sold it as the reunion album with the four original members playing on it. Why would you say that if it weren't true? If you were selling a reunion album, was it that hard to just make sure the original band is playing?" And then the dickhead will get indignant, and then make some big comment about how KISS is more than just the four members, blah blah blah.

The point is, now they're trying to sell a tale that it doesn't matter WHO is playing. Then why did they reunite in the first place?
                              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

The only track that ALL 4 original members play on (for Psycho Circus) is "Into the Void".

And the results speak for themselves -- the most classic sounding KISS song on Pyscho Circus.

Why couldn't they just play and write together on all songs so we could have more of this?
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...