X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
    Darryl Jones was on tour. Bass is handled by Richards, Wood, and Watt.
    I guess the Ringo playing on the new Stones album rumors weren't true. (Maybe that particular track is one of the ones Mick mentioned they recorded but were holding back for the next LP?)

Giles Martin said that he had to really talk Ringo into doing drums for the upcoming Beatles song, NOW AND THEN. Ringo didn't want to do it at first but finally gave in.

They still haven't announced what the final Beatles song is meant for or when it's coming out. I keep hearing the rumors that it's part of a remixed RED and BLUE albums set...but I really don't like that. Who needs another freaking compilation?

I was hoping the new song would be used for maybe an updated BEATLES ANTHOLOGY project. The documentary is great but really needs to be redone in HD. And a new version of the albums with more outtakes and the new song would be better than just getting the RED and BLUE albums again.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm not sure about Ringo's involvement at all, but apparently Paul recorded two songs with the Stones. Only one of them will be on this album though, so hopefully the other one will come out at a later date... though hopefully not another 18 years, because obviously Time AIN'T On Their Side anymore.

There's an article all about the new album and all the guest appearances over at RollingStone.com. Too much to copy/paste here.

As far as the "new" Beatles song goes, this is the third song that originated from the demo John Lennon recorded in the late 70s. The original plan was to have it on the third Anthology volume, just like "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" started the other two. But the source tape for John's vocals was problematic.. as cassette tapes often are, and they gave up halfway through. I haven't heard the song yet, but from what McCartney says, they were able to fix the problems with John's vocal track using AI. Which would have to be the most useful application I've heard of with that technology, so far. (as opposed to all the fake AI generated music videos on YouTube)

Not sure how far along they were before they originally stopped working on it, so the real question is... will George Harrison be on the track at all? He obviously wouldn't be on any 2023 sessions, but if he recorded guitar tracks back in 1994, I would hope they were left in.

And like you, I'm not interested in a reissue of the Red/Blue greatest hits albums. I didn't buy them ever, not even the original colored vinyl versions in the 1970s.
      Last edited by FORD; 09-16-2023, 10:43 PM.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        I'm not sure about Ringo's involvement at all, but apparently Paul recorded two songs with the Stones. Only one of them will be on this album though, so hopefully the other one will come out at a later date... though hopefully not another 18 years, because obviously Time AIN'T On Their Side anymore.
        Yeah, I sure agree with you, Ford. If they're going to finish a follow-up, they'd better NOT take their time. (Mick says they're 75% done with the next album.)

As far as the "new" Beatles song goes, this is the third song that originated from the demo John Lennon recorded in the late 70s. The original plan was to have it on the third Anthology volume, just like "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" started the other two. But the source tape for John's vocals was problematic.. as cassette tapes often are, and they gave up halfway through. I haven't heard the song yet, but from what McCartney says, they were able to fix the problems with John's vocal track using AI. Which would have to be the most useful application I've heard of with that technology, so far. (as opposed to all the fake AI generated music videos on YouTube)

Not sure how far along they were before they originally stopped working on it, so the real question is... will George Harrison be on the track at all? He obviously wouldn't be on any 2023 sessions, but if he recorded guitar tracks back in 1994, I would hope they were left in.
        I read some info from a few supposedly inside sources about NOW AND THEN.

George is on the new song. He did some basic guitar (they made it sure sound like some rhythm parts, maybe some slide but they didn't clarify) back in 1995 (before they decided to work on REAL LOVE) over the demo and they are using it. ALSO...the backing vocals are George, John & Paul. How did they do that? This might piss some people off, but I think it's kosher. They took all the "ahhs" from the multi-track of BECAUSE and simply transposed them digitally and used them in select parts of the new song for certain chords. Some people may doubt the legitimacy of this method...but real bands have done this very thing when working on new songs to achieve a certain sound. SO...I'm ok with that.

Like you said, Ford, it's AI but only in a useful-application mode...it's NOT being used to create music never recorded by the dead musicians. It's really John & George singing "ahh"...and the AI is also simply being used to bring out the clarity of John's lead vocal.

I've heard NOW AND THEN (not the new version but John's demo). It's actually a pretty cool song. It's more melancholy than FREE AS A BIRD or REAL LOVE.

Paul really had a personal connection to this song (and was pissed that George eventually rejected it) because the very last thing John said to him the last time Paul & John spoke on the phone in 1980 was, "Think of me...now and then...old friend."

The day after John was murdered, Paul & Yoko spoke on the phone. Both have confirmed that they spoke and that she assured Paul, "You know, he said things in the press sometimes, Paul, but he really did love you very much."

So, this song meant a lot to Paul (NOT that the song is actually about Paul...just his connection to it) and he's wanted to finish it for years.

The song also has Ringo's new drums and Giles Martin put strings on it too. (I'd actually rather NOT have strings on it...that reminds me too much of Spector's LET IT BE work...but George Martin would do them too.)

I'm optimistic. One final Beatles song? Cool!

And like you, I'm not interested in a reissue of the Red/Blue greatest hits albums. I didn't buy them ever, not even the original colored vinyl versions in the 1970s.
        Me neither. I was born after the RED and BLUE albums. I give no shit about them.

Giles Martin already did a really good job with the re-do of the "1" album in 2015. He did remixes of every song on the album (or remasters of the early songs that don't have multitracks available...i.e. SHE LOVES YOU, etc.) and included two Blu-Rays with all their videos and surround mixes.

We don't need remixes of all the songs from the RED/BLUE albums. Who cares? Who is this supposed to appeal to? People who were teenagers in the 1970s?

This year, people were expecting the RUBBER SOUL box set. The other sets have been really good. There's a ton of material waiting to be heard from the RUBBER SOUL era.

OR...they could finally do an HD re-edit of the BEATLES ANTHOLOGY film. All the interviews Paul, George & Ringo did for the doc back in the 1990s were shot on film. They used some of George's (in HD) in the LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD doc. They could do an HD re-edit (with more footage and scenes) of the epic documentary...and then maybe re-release the original ANTHOLOGY albums in a box set with an extra disc's worth of material, including the new song (now opening ANTHOLOGY 3, since that one didn't get a "new" song).

Just my opinion...but it sounds like you feel similarly, Ford.
        Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Second new single has "leaked". This one sounds more like Vintage Stones......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I really like that song. Wow.

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Best new fucking Stones song in many years. Seriously, this would not have sounded out of place on STICKY FINGERS or EXILE. Great song.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                I really like that song. Wow.
                The Stones doing Justin Bieber. I'm not surprised.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                  The Stones doing Justin Bieber. I'm not surprised.
                  I was waiting for your comment...but hoping (against hope) that you would say something original.
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

There is nothing original about a Justin Bieber album.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

There's nothing remotely "Justin Bieber" about that song. It's vintage fucking Stones. Now if you wanted to make that argument about the first single "Angry"... yeah, that one had a little bit of a pro-tools overproduced vibe to it.

I really hope Sweet Sounds of Heaven is a better indication of what the album sounds like.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

There's nothing remotely "Justin Bieber" about that song. It's vintage fucking Stones. Now if you wanted to make that argument about the first single "Angry"... yeah, that one had a little bit of a pro-tools overproduced vibe to it.

I really hope Sweet Sounds of Heaven is a better indication of what the album sounds like.
                        Doesn't it just feel...good...knowing The Stones are still capable of producing something that reminds us of why this band was so great?
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

There's nothing remotely "Justin Bieber" about that song. It's vintage fucking Stones.
                          Wow. "Vintage" for sounding EXACTLY LIKE Justin Bieber. Keep on lying to yourself - like how your Huskies are going to win a National title.

Like regurgitated shit? 18 years, people 18 years.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                            this band was so great?
                            1971 was 52 years ago, Boomer.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

The problem with Kristy is (s)he has no soul. The brain is a pile of drug riddled mush, and the soul was never there to begin with.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                                "Vintage" for sounding EXACTLY LIKE Justin Bieber.
                                Seriously, how do you know "EXACTLY" what Justin Bieber sounds like?

I couldn't even name you one of his fucking songs.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...