• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Whitesnake "Live..In The Still Of The Night" DVD review

I picked this up yesterday.

All I can say to sum it up is that it is fantastic.

The band Coverdale has put together is totally smokin`.

They play the fuck out of those tunes, note-for-note, with a real attention to detail, particularly impressive on the "1987" tracks, which any guitarist who has ever tried to play them will tell you that they are as hard to play correctly as they are fun to play.

Special mention must go to guitarist Doug Aldrich and drummer Tommy Aldridge.

Aldrich nails every guitar solo, whether it be Blackmore`s in "Burn", Sykes` in "Still of the night" or Vai`s in "Fool for your loving", the guy is an amazing player.

Aldridge`s drums pound right through the excellent 5:1 mix, driving every song and cementing his position as one of rock`s all time great drummers.

Coverdale is his usual rock star self, doing what he does best, totally unflappable.

Track list:

Burn
    Bad Boys
    Love Ain`t No Stranger
    Ready An` Willing
    Is This Love
    Give Me All Your Love
    Judgement Day
    Blues For Mylene
    Snake Dance
    Crying In The Rain
    Ain`t No Love In The Heart Of The City
    Don`t Break my Heart Again
    Fool For Your Loving
    Here I Go Again
    Take Me With You
    Still of The Night

The only things missing are concert powerhouses like "Slide It In", "Slow An` Easy" and "Walking In The Shadow Of The Blues" and this would have been perfect.

The picture and sound are great.

It comes with a bonus CD with about half of the concert on it.

If this band can write as well as they can play, then there`s a killer album waiting to be made, when Coverdale finally gets his finger out of his arse.

Buy in confidence.
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

And no "I don`t like Whitesnake" posts, please.

If you don`t like them, fuck off and start a "I don`t like Whitesnake" thread.
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• DavidLeeBroth
      Roadie
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
      And no "I don`t like Whitesnake" posts, please.

If you don`t like them, fuck off and start a "I don`t like Whitesnake" thread.
      Coverdale is truly one of the all time greats. Great voice, great showman, great songwriter. After all these years he's still one of the best.

He's released/written/performed some of the greatest rock 'n roll ever. Deep Purple, Whitesnake and the VERY underrated Coverdale/Page album. Even his solo stuff is cool, especially his solo track Last Note of Freedom from that Tom Cruise flick (Days of Thunder I think).

Coverdale is a true rockstar.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeBroth
        Coverdale is truly one of the all time greats. Great voice, great showman, great songwriter. After all these years he's still one of the best.

He's released/written/performed some of the greatest rock 'n roll ever. Deep Purple, Whitesnake and the VERY underrated Coverdale/Page album. Even his solo stuff is cool, especially his solo track Last Note of Freedom from that Tom Cruise flick (Days of Thunder I think).

Coverdale is a true rockstar.
        Absolutley, dude.

However, whenever you start a Whitesnake thread around here, it gets spammed up by people who compare Coverdale to Sammy Hagar.

That`s going too far.

Noone should ever be compared to Hagar, no matter how much you don`t like them.
        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Douglas T.
          Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

I thought it came out on the 7th! Early realease..... (silence as DT has left the building seen headed towards Best Buy)!

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Oct 2004

Sounds good. My only problem is that he's now known for the latter-day Americanised Whitesnake, which I've never been a fan of (with the odd exception). I prefer the early blues-inspired Whitesnake (ie-Moody/Marsden line up).

I'd love to see the Bernie Marsden/Micky Moody/Jon Lord/Ian Paice/Neil Muarry/David Coverdale line up just ONE more time.
            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Douglas T.
              Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

DVD not in stock until tuesday! Bought AUDIOSLAVE ~ LIVE IN CUBA to hold me over!

Comment

• Last_Child
                Commando
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
                Sounds good. My only problem is that he's now known for the latter-day Americanised Whitesnake, which I've never been a fan of (with the odd exception). I prefer the early blues-inspired Whitesnake (ie-Moody/Marsden line up).

I'd love to see the Bernie Marsden/Micky Moody/Jon Lord/Ian Paice/Neil Muarry/David Coverdale line up just ONE more time.

Exactly.
                "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Well, as a fan of ALL eras of Whitesnake, I thought it was quite a good selection of material.

The only thing really lacking on the early stuff is that Marco Mendoza doesn`t really reproduce Neil Murray`s excellent basslines so well.

Other than that, you really will be surprised how good this band is at reproducing the sound of all the differing line ups that recorded the songs.
                  sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• terrymc
                    Roth Army Recruit
                    • Feb 2006

I caught them at Newcastle last year and they were Fantastic. DVD does the show justice.

Comment

• DavidLeeBroth
                      Roadie
                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
                      Absolutley, dude.

However, whenever you start a Whitesnake thread around here, it gets spammed up by people who compare Coverdale to Sammy Hagar.
                      That's because there are a lot of morons out there.

Many people also call Coverdale a Robert Plant clone but I totally disagree. I think Coverdale is by far a superior vocalist. This is even more apparent these days. While coverdale's still got a great voice, Plant has totally lost it.

Don't get me wrong, Plant is (or rather WAS) great but he doesn't come close to Coverdale.

Comment

• Douglas T.
                        Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

WELL! Doug Aldrich has a new fan in DT! He busted his way into my living room today!! VH connection? He plays on "I'm the One" on the LITTLE GUITARS tribute CD!

Ready and Willing and Fool for Your Lovin' are good rewinds to the Bernie Marsden/Micky Moody/Jon Lord/Ian Paice/Neil Muarry days!

DT goes 9 STARS on this DVD & CD!

Last edited by Douglas T.; 02-07-2006, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Saw them twice; once with Vai.

Good rock shows, except for ballads.
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Douglas T.
                            Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

At least 5 times here! Once with Vai! Recently with Scorps was bad.

Comment

• Dirty Duck
                              Sniper
                              • Aug 2005

It's great to hear that WHITESNAKE is back.

I've always liked the group....brings back some good

memories of my youth.

I'll def check it out.

See...rock isnt dead...

Rock never dies motherfuckers!!!

Comment

Working...