X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Stones should have won the rock album simply because it IS their most rockin album in 25 years. But U2's record was damn good too.
    Stones should have won the rock album simply because they were nominated...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Wawazat
      ROCKSTAR

• Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
      Well. Here in France, it's no secret, rock music is more than neglectible, as it's more or less always been. But there are quite a few underground bands that REALLY rock, who are 1,000 times as kickass and as worthy as those that are SOLD everywhere.

I know so bands that are so good that, IMO, they are kept away from big stages WILLINGLY, so that they won't overshadow the silly bands that sell loads and loads of the crappy records that are advertised over and over.
      Could you name some of those bands ?
      Day-dreaming's gone commercial

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Wawazat
        Could you name some of those bands ?
        Sure! But remember that I said they were excellent as compared to the lame French bands or artists that are advertised like mad and trust radio programmes...

So, I'll mention groups whose sites you'll find on the net, like the Wampas (rock steady, subversive band that was condemned after calling "Chirac in jail" - our psdt seeems to have been a long-time crook before (or even after too) his first election), Marcel et son Orchestre (from Northern France, like me ), a crazy rock fusion group with kickass lyrics, who are the two best underground but successful bands. They manage to be huge here without being broadcast either on air or on TV.
        There are very good regional or local bands, like, in my own town, the Tweeters (the guitarist singer is a pal of mine; about 15 years ago, he gave up his job at the UNO to fly to Nashville to make his first record. There he found professional musicians, like the Flamin' Groovies drummer, recorded his stuff and came back to Geneva in the UNO offices to show his brand new vinyle to the folks who wouldn't take him seriously before his departure). The Tweeters play rockab' tunes.
        We've also got an awesome 10-member group, l'Orchestre Anonyme, who play more or less all-sorts rock, with 2 guitarists, a bass/double bass player, a clarinet player, a trombone player, drums, a keyboardist/accordeonist and a female singer. We rehearse in the same place with my band. They're really awesome, recently played in Yemen at the French embassy, a very uncommon destination...

That's it for my faves.
        Here's a link to Marcel et son Orchestre's site. Select "Baisse la tête - Olympia 2003" in the video section (the 6th or 7th title):

Here's a link to my buddies' site, l'Orchestre Anonyme". Click on "Extraits", and tell me about it. They're just great IMO. The singer is, er... exquisite!

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 02-10-2006, 03:15 PM.
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

BTW, one of my best pals here plays bass (but he's a really, really awesome guitarist too) in a "grind metal" band called STUMP FUCKING (). They're based in Geneva. It's not my thing, but I have to admit that they fuckin' grind it!
          One of the guitars is held by a chick.

"Stump Fucking", ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!
          Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 02-10-2006, 03:55 PM.
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• pete
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Stones should have won the rock album simply because it IS their most rockin album in 25 years.
            you need to revisit the Voodoo Lounge my friend. It kills this album.

Comment

• singerman
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2004

if U2 arnt the greatest band in world at the moment who is?

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by singerman
                if U2 arnt the greatest band in world at the moment who is?
                The Black Crowes!

U2 are just way too poppy IMO.

Comment

• singerman
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2004

The Black Crowes!

U2 are just way too poppy IMO.
                  you gotta be joking, at the moment theres nobody to touch U2 for popularity.They have been together with the same line-up for about 19years and still able to pull out great songs in recent years like Beautiful Day and Vertigo from the bag which were huge hits world wide, and win countless awards,and have the guts to experiment and take risks with different styles of music on their albums and not plod on sticking to the same format.Im sorry but even if you arnt a U2 fan there really is no arguement that have achieved many times over what most 'top' bands would only dream of.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Nov 2004

Sorry, I can't think of a band without putting "rock" or "metal" before the word "band"...
                    Well, U2 may still sell millions, but I think they aren't half as good as they were until "Rattle & Hum". They've been a dead band ever since as far as I'm concerned.
                    I don't give a fuck about record sales, that's no argument at all. It will never be one to me.
                    How many cunts bought their "Zooropa" bullshit, for instance, and how many bought Dave's "A little ain't enough"?
                    Are record sales a relevant argument when it comes to stating how good an album is?
                    How long have most people been music experts??

So, I persist: the Black Crowes have been the greatest band for fifteen years. And don't make me laugh with U2 anymore. PERIOD

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

U2 is a kind of band (for me) that does everything totally right...but I can't stand them anyway...no offense...
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• singerman
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2004

Sorry, I can't think of a band without putting "rock" or "metal" before the word "band"...
                        Well, U2 may still sell millions, but I think they aren't half as good as they were until "Rattle & Hum". They've been a dead band ever since as far as I'm concerned.
                        I don't give a fuck about record sales, that's no argument at all. It will never be one to me.
                        How many cunts bought their "Zooropa" bullshit, for instance, and how many bought Dave's "A little ain't enough"?
                        Are record sales a relevant argument when it comes to stating how good an album is?
                        How long have most people been music experts??

So, I persist: the Black Crowes have been the greatest band for fifteen years. And don't make me laugh with U2 anymore. PERIOD
                        I'm sorry you cant think of a 'band' without using the term 'rock' or 'metal', but i'm sure you must be aware that 'rock' is a very broad term when talking about music,and yeah i feel U2 does slot into that broad term pretty well...as for record sales, If a band consistantly sells millions of albums for nearly twenty years, then yes I would say that was a sign of a great band, and yes every band has a few low points but U2 have been incredibly consistant over that long period, not just with record sales, but with their live performances too,and yes us 'cunts' still love to hear tracks from Zooropa as U2 perform tracks from that album to this day,how many tracks from 'Little aint enough' does DLR play these days? i think that answers the question on what makes a great album doesnt it?...bands dont stop playing great songs!.Its at this moment I'd like to point out youve mentioned the black crowes in both of youre posts but failed to give any reasons as to why you feel they are the 'greatest band in the last fifteen years' if youre going to make a statement like that please dont shoot my post down before backing youre own up!.As for being 'music experts'.....we're all music experts arnt we? LOL, after all said and done, we, the general public are the ones that decide whos great and who is'nt

Comment

• singerman
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                          U2 is a kind of band (for me) that does everything totally right...but I can't stand them anyway...no offense...
                          No offense taken!....its nice that someone can have a decent opinion on a band even if you dont like them!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by singerman
                            I'd like to point out youve mentioned the black crowes in both of youre posts but failed to give any reasons as to why you feel they are the 'greatest band in the last fifteen years' if youre going to make a statement like that please dont shoot my post down before backing youre own up!.As for being 'music experts'.....we're all music experts arnt we? LOL, after all said and done, we, the general public are the ones that decide whos great and who is'nt
                            The Crowes's music and stage performances are convincing enough in themselves. You could type as many arguments in favor of U2 as you want, I won't change my mind: I never could stand anything they did after "Rattle & Hum", that's all.
                            I'm not shooting you but your argument... Record sales will never be any proof of greatness to me.
                            Because then you would claim that R. Sambora is a greater musician than Jeff Beck, or that R. Williams is a greater act than Iggy Pop...

Well, anyway, better than dozens of lines, here's a link to a Black Crowes vid shot in 2001:

Click on pause and let it upload before playing it, so that it doesn't stop and go.
                            Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 02-12-2006, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• doctor roth
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jun 2005

Grammy awards = sleep. Utter wank

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

U2 and Bob Geldof are the biggest Irish cunts in music history!!! And if they don't like it, then they can kiss my part Ulster-American Ass!!!

Comment

Working...