Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

I love Kiss, circa...I don't know...the LPs "Kiss" to "Creatures of the Night", I guess...sporadically thereafter, when they've done something worth paying attention to...

Is it really still paying the bills for them, though? I mean, short of the absolute DIEHARDS, I can't think new projects pull them in that much revenue...it's got to be all in touring and merchandising at this point...

I'd like to see that Eric Singer interview, myself.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
      Is it really still paying the bills for them, though? I mean, short of the absolute DIEHARDS, I can't think new projects pull them in that much revenue...it's got to be all in touring and merchandising at this point...
      Can't say much about Paul, but Gene has always got his side projects on the go (even if some aren't successful -- wtf happened to his magazine Tounge?).

He did the Rock School thing which was successful and has that cartoon, My Dad the Rock Star, which is still running.

But that alone isn't bringing in the big bucks that Gene is used to getting while being in KISS, at least in the post-Reunion era.

How much does KISS merchandise sell nowadays anyway?? Are teens into KISS now?

I don't know.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Apparently, this was just a rumor.........

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
          Apparently, this was just a rumor.........
          Or so they say.

Apparently, there were Japan dates posted on kissonline, but since have been removed.

I still think Eric wants out.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
            No, not with Gene and Paul.

The 1998-99 and the 2000 tours also featured the REAL Kiss (Paul, Gene, Ace and Peter).
            True, I saw the original lineup in '00 here...
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

See...because they want more money, I've heard the P&G spin that this is a "new" band, with Thayer and Singer (and now Carmassi), so technically they "retired" the iold KISS and now there's a new KISS..but I think even diehards like I aren't buying that one until they make some new music at the very least.
              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                See...because they want more money, I've heard the P&G spin that this is a "new" band, with Thayer and Singer (and now Carmassi), so technically they "retired" the iold KISS and now there's a new KISS..but I think even diehards like I aren't buying that one until they make some new music at the very least.
                Yeah, a 'new' band, playing the same old stuff...

Gotta be honest here: even if Criss and Frehley were still there, the whole KISS thing is just tired, and there's nothing exciting about the makeup and stage show anymore. Been there, seen that again and again and again...

About the only interest I'd have is if the classic four did smaller theaters and arenas, maybe without the makeup and all the effects even...KISS tries so hard to be over-the-top, yet it's all boring now just the same

How much fucking money do these guys need, anyway? They must have some pretty lavish lifestyles that need a money fix...

Didn't Gene and Paul read and learn anything from Kiss and Sell?
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• PumpedUpMidget
                  Head Fluffer
                  • May 2005

KISS was over when Criss, and especially Frehley, left.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    Yeah, a 'new' band, playing the same old stuff...

Gotta be honest here: even if Criss and Frehley were still there, the whole KISS thing is just tired, and there's nothing exciting about the makeup and stage show anymore. Been there, seen that again and again and again...

About the only interest I'd have is if the classic four did smaller theaters and arenas, maybe without the makeup and all the effects even...KISS tries so hard to be over-the-top, yet it's all boring now just the same

How much fucking money do these guys need, anyway? They must have some pretty lavish lifestyles that need a money fix...

Didn't Gene and Paul read and learn anything from Kiss and Sell?
                    It's awfully frustrating as such a big, lifelong KISS fan, to see the band just continue to whore along, with the only pusuit being money. For a long time, it was at least possible for me to say that they still were putting out new music. Even Psycho Circus provided enjoyment for the big fan like I. But now it's just Greatest Hits package after greatest hits package, after live album, after live DVD, with new people masquerading as Peter and Ace.....followed by Gene on reality shows (not a bad one though)...

It's time for them to make a decision- either alienate a huge majority of the die-hards and just admit that from now on it's no new material and they are just touring for money. Maybe take a permanent gig in Vegas, if that's the case. Or, take the new guys, actually sit down and write songs with them as a band, and then release some new KISS material and hey, if the fans hate it, they hate it. But maybe you strike gold and the thing sells and you have a slight rebirth.

Unfortunately I fear the former is the direction that they'll stick with.
                    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• The_KiD
                      Commando
                      • Jun 2005

Gene is all about the money and Paul has made enough tojust put up with whatever Gene decides. I mean, you have to give credit to Gene for his vision and keeping Kiss alive but come on.. Have some respect for the original line up and the majority of the band's success.

What is funny though is that when they each released their Solo Albums, Ace's album outsold Gene's and Paul's. To this day, this is upsetting to Gene. Without Ace and Peter, it is just not Kiss but a Tribute band...

This coming from a guy who grew up with KISS posters on my walls..

KiD

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                        It's awfully frustrating as such a big, lifelong KISS fan, to see the band just continue to whore along, with the only pusuit being money. For a long time, it was at least possible for me to say that they still were putting out new music. Even Psycho Circus provided enjoyment for the big fan like I. But now it's just Greatest Hits package after greatest hits package, after live album, after live DVD, with new people masquerading as Peter and Ace.....followed by Gene on reality shows (not a bad one though)...

It's time for them to make a decision- either alienate a huge majority of the die-hards and just admit that from now on it's no new material and they are just touring for money. Maybe take a permanent gig in Vegas, if that's the case. Or, take the new guys, actually sit down and write songs with them as a band, and then release some new KISS material and hey, if the fans hate it, they hate it. But maybe you strike gold and the thing sells and you have a slight rebirth.

Unfortunately I fear the former is the direction that they'll stick with.
                        I'm not a die-hard fan, but I'd say I verge on being hardcore...can't even say I'm really hardcore, because a large chunk of KISSs' career (1983-1990, 2000 - present) I have no use for...

...but I find it hard to understand how even a die-hard, hardcore fan could really get into what is going on under the KISS name now, and has been for the last 5 or so years...

People still show up at their concerts, but is it more like going to see a movie or just a night out for most that go now? I mean, are there really masses of people on KISS websites who are thrilled that Gene and Paul are trotting around with two pther people besides Ace and Pete in the makeup and costumes, playing 'Shout It Out Loud' for the 80-billionth time in the last decade?

How exciting can that shit be?

Just seems worn into the ground, but whatever.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                          Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

According to KISS Asylum, Eric is not leaving KISS, but at the same time, it's still the same.
                          Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            Technically, Paul didn't lie.

Only the 1996 tour featured the REAL Kiss.

Of course the fact that they continue to milk it with the roadie guitarist and revolving door drummers (in Ace & Peter's makeup, no less) is pathetic.

Why do Kiss fans put up with the makeup bait & switch anyway? Eric Carr had his own makeup. So did Vinnie Vincent. If Carmassi (or whoever plays the drums next month) goes out there in Eric Carr's makeup, it would be seen in really bad taste because Carr is dead. Or at least I hope so, but this is Kiss we're talking about. Bad taste isn't a barrier, is it?
                            I was wondering when someone would mention the possibility of this scab donning "The Foxman" makeup?

God, that would even be more awful than this already is...

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              I was wondering when someone would mention the possibility of this scab donning "The Foxman" makeup?

God, that would even be more awful than this already is...
                              Of course Gene and Paul would say it's just a tribute to Carr, and that true fans of the band appreciate it, or some such nonsense...

Kinda moot, since Gene and Paul look at the people who come to see them now as customers more than anything else...
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                                So did Vinnie Vincent.
                                Oh, Vinnie's makeup was horrible....

The unfortunate thing about Vinnie was that he's a helluva guitarist, more than likely TOO good for Gene/Paul's expectations....

I mean, come on, I love Ace as much as the next KISS fan, but he's not what any rock fan would realistically call a virtuoso...

And that sure as hell goes for Peter as well.... In fact, Eric Carr was a very good drummer, but unfortunately cancer too it's toll on him...
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...