X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Speed Metal, Circa 1985.

They don't really rule. I like them a lot, but a lot of people laugh about them now. Good speed metal for the era.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
      RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUURRRHHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
      That's real fucking talent. Who the fuck even realized their lyrics are violent? Wouldn't someone have to actually understand them first?

thats the typical response of a person to whom death metal dont appeal to ,coz the vocals dont suit you ,you hilariously poke fun at them with the classic "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRHHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! "

you are real origional there......
      I really love you baby, I love what you've got
      Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U

That's real fucking talent.
        And FYI,There is ALOT of talent in Death roaring,doing it correctly is really hard.Being able to do an hour set and growl and still being able to talk after is alot harder than you would think

Comment

• Mr Badguy
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

How can we have gotten three peges in before someone mentions Joe Elliiott?

He fuckin` sucks.
          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
            Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
            And FYI,There is ALOT of talent in Death roaring,doing it correctly is really hard.Being able to do an hour set and growl and still being able to talk after is alot harder than you would think
            Uhhhh...not really, dude.
            Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
              ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
              May not seem like it but there is,I spoke to Corpse Grinder when i saw Cannibal and he was all telling my friend the propper way to growl and screech,its really complicated and hard to get the hang of without hurting your voice

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Sure.... Why can't they sing? Because they're no talent ass-clowns? Yes.
                THANK YOU!
                May not seem like it but there is,I spoke to Corpse Grinder when i saw Cannibal and he was all telling my friend the propper way to growl and screech,its really complicated and hard to get the hang of without hurting your voice
                There is no magic secret.... they just smoke pot before the show to "relax their voices"...

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                  ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

W/e

Typical answer of a Cunt who dont get Death Metal (Thats you MERRYKISSMASS2U, you are a cunt who doesnt get death metal)

Comment

• PumpedUpMidget
                    Head Fluffer
                    • May 2005

Would have to be a tie between Joe Elliott and Sebastian Bach--and the word 'metal' would be used VERY lightly

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                      ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by PumpedUpMidget
                      Would have to be a tie between Joe Elliott and Sebastian Bach--and the word 'metal' would be used VERY lightly
                      im guessing you never heard Sebastian Bach sing then if thats what you think,he has a great voice for Rock,Metal and ballads.Listen to the album Skid Row and see what i mean

Comment

• bueno bob
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

You gotta be shittin' me? I'm a completist, so I bought it in Burlington, Vermont a couple of years ago while on a vacation, and thought it just was the biggest joke of all time. It was after that album that Ozzy insisted that he'd only do the reunion tour if they agreed to retire the Sabbath name.
                        Different tastes I guess.
                        In all honesty? I'm really a Tony Iommi fan...basically, no matter what he does, I love it...generally because he's Riffmaster General in a field of imposters and posers...no doubt of that; Iommi's the boss...

Now...Forbidden, if you listen to it, is a riffing wetdream...granted, Ernie C's production job sucks (and the only reason he got it was because of Ice-T's worship of all things Sabbath, and since Ice-T did the vocal slot for Illusion of Power, well...). But there's also something to be said for the bad production positively; it sounds very raw, live, recorded in a soundproofed garage, just kick it out in one or two takes, screw the studio trickery...keeping it simple...I appreciate that out of metal acts, especially out of Sabbath.

Anyhow, I did think that "I Won't Cry for You" was pretty throwaway (and also a blatant rip-off of the bridge from Dehumanizer's "Too Late"); I also didn't care much for "Guilty as Hell" (sounded too Eternal Idol for my tastes, I guess)...lyrically I didn't care much for Rusty Angels...but as for the rest of the album, Tony's really smoking all the way through...Illusion of Power...Forbidden...Get a Grip...Can't Get Close Enough...Kiss of Death...Shaking Off the Chains...wow...I mean, seriously, if you listen to it for Tony and Tony alone...his playing on that album, his riffs, hell, even the recycled riffs are just outstanding.

Moreover, during the time it was released, I was separated (split up) from my girlfriend of the last year...and we both had the same friends and ended up being in the same places at the same time...I tried really hard to avoid her, but no matter where I went, there she was; finally, I had to say "fuck it" and just share the space with her, but I was determined to do it on MY terms, and not hers; erego, the song "Sick and Tired" REALLY hit me on a deep level lyrically, and I've always been a HUGE fan of Tony kicking back into the blues anyway (and have thought for years that he needs to do a solo album of blues and nothing but).

On top of that? I really liked the goofball cover art...it just seemed really cool...I was a member of the Sabbath fan club back in '91-'93, and there was a contest to name the upcoming Sabbath album after Dehumanizer - I suggested "Forbidden" as an album title. The album in question became, of course, "Cross Purposes"; the fan club more or less shut down anyway...but when I heard that the '95 album was going to be called "Forbidden", I just about shit myself!

So...yeah, I'm slightly biased about "Forbidden"; it's certainly not the best Sabbath album ever, but it holds a really dear spot in my heart.

Going to go listen to it now, actually...
                        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

The death grunt (also referred to as death growl, death vocal, vokills or, derisively, Cookie Monster vocals) is a singing style usually employed by vocalists of the death metal musical genres, but also can be heard in a variety of other heavy metal subgenres. Stylistic similarities in vocals can be heard in grindcore and hardcore punk bands, among others. Melodic death metal, doom metal and gothic metal bands tend to modify the technique substantially.

Death grunts are guttural and often difficult to decipher, particularly to listeners unfamiliar with the style. Most vocalists who employ the technique choose to sing indecipherably, such as Sylvain Houde from Kataklysm or Lord Worm from Cryptopsy. However, some vocalists sing such that their lyrics remain intelligible; Karl Willetts from Bolt Thrower being an example. Few female singers make use of the technique, Lori Bravo (Nuclear Death), and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy) being two examples.

Death grunts can be obtained with various voice effects. However, many singers are able to produce them with their bare voice. It requires proper training, as it can harm the vocal cords. Most "correct" death grunts use the false vocal cords instead.

It is difficult to pinpoint a specific individual as the inventor of the technique; the assumption that different musicians developed it gradually over time is, in a general manner, considered more plausible. The band Death (and its precursor Mantas) with its two vocalists — initially Kam Lee and subsequently Chuck Schuldiner — have been cited as influential (although Schuldiner would eventually switch to a more high pitched screeching style). Moreover, the singing featured on Venom's 1981 album Welcome to Hell has influenced the development of the style, even though the album does not exhibit the death grunt itself. Possessed is considered by some to be one of the earliest bands to employ death growls, as are Necrophagia and Master.

The vocalists from the British grindcore band Napalm Death — consecutively Nic Bullen, Lee Dorrian and Mark "Barney" Greenway — further developed the style in the late 1980s, adding more aggression and deeper guttural elements to it, while also speeding up delivery of the lyrics. Around the same time, in the United States, Chris Reifert (from Autopsy) began combining shrieks with his deep grunts. Also, Chris Barnes (from Cannibal Corpse) is notable for having deepened his grunts to tones lower than those which had been recorded at the time. Some death metal bands such as Carcass and Dying Fetus, have experimented using two vocalists, alternating singing duties between lighter and heavier death growls on their songs. The now-defunct Swedish grindcore band Nasum also utilised a similar arrangement, with two vocalists alternating between deep growls and high screeches. Vocalists of doom metal bands tend to put more emphasis on adding atmospheric and emotional overtones to their death grunts. Nick Holmes (from Paradise Lost), Darren White (from Anathema) and Aaron Stainthorpe (from My Dying Bride) were the main developers of grunts within this context, in the early 1990s. Stainthorpe was one of the first to combine grunts and clean singing, a technique which was developed further in large part by Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt. In gothic metal, the death grunts are typically contrasted by female operatic vocals.

Funeral doom metal bands have taken a different approach to death grunts. Deep guttural vocals are often replaced by hoarser, almost whispered grunts. Examples of vocalists which make use of the technique are "Matti" (from Skepticism) and John Paradiso (from Evoken).

************************************************** *****

Note the highlighted. I've fooled around with death metal vocals, and trust me...I don't have anything of a voice, but I'd much rather sing clean in front of an audience for an hour and a half than growl for even 15 minutes. It is VERY hard to do correctly without damaging your voice, and getting it down properly takes a LOT of practice, much like anything else which alters from natural voice.

I'm with ya, DB
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

im guessing you never heard Sebastian Bach sing then if thats what you think,he has a great voice for Rock,Metal and ballads.Listen to the album Skid Row and see what i mean
                            Exactly, Bach has got an exceptional voice

and more power than anyone I've ever seen.
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                              Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

W/e

Typical answer of a Cunt who dont get Death Metal (Thats you MERRYKISSMASS2U, you are a cunt who doesnt get death metal)
                              Originally posted by bueno bob
                              The death grunt (also referred to as death growl, death vocal, vokills or, derisively, Cookie Monster vocals) is a singing style usually employed by vocalists of the death metal musical genres, but also can be heard in a variety of other heavy metal subgenres. Stylistic similarities in vocals can be heard in grindcore and hardcore punk bands, among others. Melodic death metal, doom metal and gothic metal bands tend to modify the technique substantially.

Death grunts are guttural and often difficult to decipher, particularly to listeners unfamiliar with the style. Most vocalists who employ the technique choose to sing indecipherably, such as Sylvain Houde from Kataklysm or Lord Worm from Cryptopsy. However, some vocalists sing such that their lyrics remain intelligible; Karl Willetts from Bolt Thrower being an example. Few female singers make use of the technique, Lori Bravo (Nuclear Death), and Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy) being two examples.

Death grunts can be obtained with various voice effects. However, many singers are able to produce them with their bare voice. It requires proper training, as it can harm the vocal cords. Most "correct" death grunts use the false vocal cords instead.

It is difficult to pinpoint a specific individual as the inventor of the technique; the assumption that different musicians developed it gradually over time is, in a general manner, considered more plausible. The band Death (and its precursor Mantas) with its two vocalists — initially Kam Lee and subsequently Chuck Schuldiner — have been cited as influential (although Schuldiner would eventually switch to a more high pitched screeching style). Moreover, the singing featured on Venom's 1981 album Welcome to Hell has influenced the development of the style, even though the album does not exhibit the death grunt itself. Possessed is considered by some to be one of the earliest bands to employ death growls, as are Necrophagia and Master.

The vocalists from the British grindcore band Napalm Death — consecutively Nic Bullen, Lee Dorrian and Mark "Barney" Greenway — further developed the style in the late 1980s, adding more aggression and deeper guttural elements to it, while also speeding up delivery of the lyrics. Around the same time, in the United States, Chris Reifert (from Autopsy) began combining shrieks with his deep grunts. Also, Chris Barnes (from Cannibal Corpse) is notable for having deepened his grunts to tones lower than those which had been recorded at the time. Some death metal bands such as Carcass and Dying Fetus, have experimented using two vocalists, alternating singing duties between lighter and heavier death growls on their songs. The now-defunct Swedish grindcore band Nasum also utilised a similar arrangement, with two vocalists alternating between deep growls and high screeches. Vocalists of doom metal bands tend to put more emphasis on adding atmospheric and emotional overtones to their death grunts. Nick Holmes (from Paradise Lost), Darren White (from Anathema) and Aaron Stainthorpe (from My Dying Bride) were the main developers of grunts within this context, in the early 1990s. Stainthorpe was one of the first to combine grunts and clean singing, a technique which was developed further in large part by Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt. In gothic metal, the death grunts are typically contrasted by female operatic vocals.

Funeral doom metal bands have taken a different approach to death grunts. Deep guttural vocals are often replaced by hoarser, almost whispered grunts. Examples of vocalists which make use of the technique are "Matti" (from Skepticism) and John Paradiso (from Evoken).

************************************************** *****

Note the highlighted. I've fooled around with death metal vocals, and trust me...I don't have anything of a voice, but I'd much rather sing clean in front of an audience for an hour and a half than growl for even 15 minutes. It is VERY hard to do correctly without damaging your voice, and getting it down properly takes a LOT of practice, much like anything else which alters from natural voice.

I'm with ya, DB
                              A lot of these Death Metal bands sound good, but the voice is bullshit.

Comment

• bueno bob
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Oh, it's an aquired thing, I guess. I used to be a naysayer for the vocal style (or, rather, I didn't nay-say specifically...I found it more or less amusing, but was generally speaking disinterested). At least until I discovered Opeth. Opeth really kinda opened my ears to the vocal style...combined with the clean singing, it makes for an interesting musical counterpoint vocally.

Now it doesn't bother me all that much. I'm a fan of death metal as much as anything else, I suppose, and since that vocal style is a basic precept around the music, developing over the last 25 years or so...it just kinda comes with the neighborhood...
                                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...