Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perilousepete
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2007

so THAT'S why I never hear good new music on the radio anymore....unless it's by an already established band, of course
    no wonder a lot of the rock groups are seeking new labels such as megadeth going to roadrunner, they don't fuck you out of money for everything you do. i couldn't imagine paying someone for my own concert who had absolutely nothing to with it...fuckin robbin em in broad daylight. but again, yeah who gives a shit about album sales you get your money from the real fans who come to see you. unless you're like justin timberlake or some bullshit.
    http://geocities.com/sirdominic@sbcg...iestrat3yx.jpg

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Originally posted by perilousepete
      so THAT'S why I never hear good new music on the radio anymore....unless it's by an already established band, of course
      no wonder a lot of the rock groups are seeking new labels such as megadeth going to roadrunner, they don't fuck you out of money for everything you do. i couldn't imagine paying someone for my own concert who had absolutely nothing to with it...fuckin robbin em in broad daylight. but again, yeah who gives a shit about album sales you get your money from the real fans who come to see you. unless you're like justin timberlake or some bullshit.

I agree with you entirely.

However, with regard to Roadrunner: they may not fuck the band out of money but they do fuck the fans. They release 2, maybe 3 editions of an album months appart to get more $$$$
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Steve Savicki
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
        Prince ( a musical genius) actually cares about the fans?
        Does he care more or less than Van Halen?:p
        sigpic

Comment

• fe_lung
          Sniper
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
          Who the fuck cares? If people get to hear music for free and the artist is GIVING it to them for free, why do you care how it affects the charts??? Why? because it might have knocked the lastest Beyonce album back one spot???

Honest to fuck!
          Not saying that I'm all about protecting the so-called integrity of the soundscan charts - I couldn't give a fuck about them. But they do have an impact on the industry - think of how many people buy a record just because it's a top 10 record.

I'm just saying that Prince is getting something out of this too. I support him too, if he can use the corporate system against him then more power to him - especially in the current music market where established acts like Prince get shit on while shitty pop acts get the full court marketing press.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
            Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by binnie
            I agree with you entirely.

However, with regard to Roadrunner: they may not fuck the band out of money but they do fuck the fans. They release 2, maybe 3 editions of an album months appart to get more $$$$
            Don't forget the special edition "making of" DVD!

Look at what happened to Ghost Reveries... special edition with "Soldier of Fortune" cover (beautiful song), Making of dvd, etc...

Same thing with United Abominations. There is the American version, then there is the version with Black Swan, Out on The Tiles, the Bodies Left Behind, and a special "live track".

I can't wait to see if a DVD will be coming out in August.
            Last edited by MERRYKISSMASS2U; 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

So today I bought the newspaper and got my new Prince album.

No packaging at all. No track list, nothing apart from some warnings about stealing it.

I had to Google to find out it was called Planet Earth.

It's basically the same as stealing it online, you end up with a CD and then have to go and find out what the tracks are, who played on them etc etc. So why not just download it? Well I guess the tiny Jehovah Witness guy gets his $1m so you have a clean conscience.

As far as the music goes, I've only listened to it once so far but it seemed a bit 'easy listening' and not too exciting. Not as good as 3121.

Anyhoo I still support the general idea.

Cheers!

Comment

• Wawazat
                ROCKSTAR

• Jul 2005

Is it 10 tracks only, total playing time is rather short ?
                Day-dreaming's gone commercial

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                  Hopefully the record company bosses will wake up beofre the whole thing goes belly up...
                  Unless you own stock in them let them fail. We don't need them anymore with downloadable music and home recording studios. It used to be the labels controlled the industry because recording studios were prohibitedly expensive and they controlled the distribution chain. They would give the artists advances to record and tour charging them outragiouse intrest. One hit wonders never made any money by the time they paid the record company back.

The whole recording process and distribution of music has changed. The thuggish brutes are losing. They are in the buggy whip age.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

One example is Bros a 3 piece English boy band. Between 1987 and 1990 they had 8 top 10 singles including a #1 and 4 #2s and two top 5 albums. They were everywhere.

They did arena tours TV specials the works. At the end of their time in the spotlight they had 0 money. Squat. The record company lends you money and then takes it back without you ever seeing it. This is the way record companies work. There is a cool chapter in Roths book on this.

Comment

• katie
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      One example is Bros a 3 piece English boy band. Between 1987 and 1990 they had 8 top 10 singles including a #1 and 4 #2s and two top 5 albums. They were everywhere.

They did arena tours TV specials the works. At the end of their time in the spotlight they had 0 money. Squat. The record company lends you money and then takes it back without you ever seeing it. This is the way record companies work. There is a cool chapter in Roths book on this.
                      Bros paid off their bass player for £1 milllion pounds,
                      this was right before the band went tits up.

So he did OK! (LOL)

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Heck...I saw an interview with the guys in the Foo Fighters....they were talking about their first album and how it sold 2 million copies, but when they got their platinum award for it, they still owed their record label half a million bucks!!!

The record labels are staffed with scum who are nothing more than corporate white-collar criminals.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

The major labels are nothing but a bunch of criminals.

Comment

Working...