Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

What makes Stones albums like Beggars Banquet (and Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Some Girls, and even Voodoo Lounge for that matter) so great is that the Stones got in one of those hyper-creative modes - probably the drugs on the earlier stuff at least- and just wrote literally dozens of songs. So if you have 50 or 60 songs to choose from and put 12 of them on the record, chances are it's going to be the 12 best. Actually, most of the songs for Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile were written at the same time. Some songs like "Shine a Light" were first recorded in 1969 but didn't actually make the cut until 3 albums later. Hell, there's a song called "Blood Red Wine" that was written for Beggars Banquet and didn't get recorded officially until "Goats Head Soup" when it had turned into "Winter".
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Oct 2004

I only really download the odd boot.

Owning an mp3 album doesn't excite me in the least.

Owning a physical CD/LP whatever that I can touch, smell, feel and make love to (if I wanted to) does excite me. As does walking into my humble abode and seeing a few bookcases full of albums.

A lecturer in Uni said that she doesn't understand people reading books over the internet...because surely, if you're an avid reader you want to own the books properly. I guess its the same thing with me and albums.

Plus, I actually enjoy browsing record stores too...and the exciement when I come across something I've been looking for and haven't been able to find...like maybe some album Prince whcked off in a day and then pulled at the end of the week or something.
      Last edited by Shaun Ponsonby; 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM.
      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Andy Taylor
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

I bought my first mp3 single today only because I couldn't find any place to download it, been looking for a year.

I've always been a buyer and downloader, my buying took off in a big way after I began downloading. When I get into a new artist I'm going to download the whole catalouge if I can, so it would be ridiculous to buy all those cd's. And you can't even find all the cd's as easily. The executives are money hungry to the max; they don't want to listen to the idea that mp3's get people into the music which is why they have to go to the extent of removing videos off youtube. The average John Coltrane fan is not a 14 year old x box playing brat who downloads for free without purchasing and yet his stuff was purged off youtube. It just shows a mentality of greed and if they're going to keep unloading Britney's they'll go bankrupt and I hope they do.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
          Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          What makes Stones albums like Beggars Banquet (and Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Some Girls, and even Voodoo Lounge for that matter) so great is that the Stones got in one of those hyper-creative modes - probably the drugs on the earlier stuff at least- and just wrote literally dozens of songs. So if you have 50 or 60 songs to choose from and put 12 of them on the record, chances are it's going to be the 12 best. Actually, most of the songs for Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile were written at the same time. Some songs like "Shine a Light" were first recorded in 1969 but didn't actually make the cut until 3 albums later. Hell, there's a song called "Blood Red Wine" that was written for Beggars Banquet and didn't get recorded officially until "Goats Head Soup" when it had turned into "Winter".
          Pretty much every song on Tattoo You was written years earlier.
          Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• katie
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Nov 2004

In the UK it is harder and harder to find decent music shops to buy cds from, as they are all closing at an alarming rate.

Downside to downloading is there is NO resale value, so there is NO secondhand collectors market, no artwork, etc etc.

Upside - Everything is just a couple of clicks away, so google really is your friend.

Industry should have seen this coming 12 years ago.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Owning a physical CD/LP whatever that I can touch, smell, feel and make love to (if I wanted to) does excite me. As does walking into my humble abode and seeing a few bookcases full of albums.

A lecturer in Uni said that she doesn't understand people reading books over the internet...because surely, if you're an avid reader you want to own the books properly. I guess its the same thing with me and albums.

Plus, I actually enjoy browsing record stores too...and the exciement when I come across something I've been looking for and haven't been able to find...like maybe some album Prince whcked off in a day and then pulled at the end of the week or something.
              Bingo. This sums up how I feel about records.

I could spend hours and hours is a big record store just finding gems.

You remember the first time you open up the gatefold on Kiss 'Alive', y'know?
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

100% agree. I LOVE going to used record stores looking for that gem. I freaked out when after years of looking, I found a vinyl copy of MC5's High Time .
                Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Oct 2004

Can downloading music truly be seen as a hobby?
                  Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Can downloading music truly be seen as a hobby?
                    No, I don't think so.

Hunting for rare vinyl is a hobby. One day, when I have money......
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...