• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

as if barry had ever watched football in his life....LMAO

Stage Manager: Barry, put this on.

BM: WTF is this? I'm supposed to change into my Carmen Miranda Outfit now.

Stage Manager: Guys will think it's hot, especially the little kid in row 6 with his mom.

BM: Okay!!!

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Blaze
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Theater, art, music, writing or film?
      My first was painting for theater.
      My first film that I remember was a patient for a documentary.

One of my most memorable was my first original music gig. We took the stage and a huge freak wind storm happened and literally blew us off stage.

first writing gig was an article for a jerk that had academy voting and the fucker still gave me bad heat. He had asked me "out" and I said no. May his dick require medication. Amen.

Did I miss something? Oh well, I forget.
      "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
      sigpic

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
        Got any good gig stories, or just want to reminisce?
        Please do!
        Do I have to?

Ok, ok...

First gig, with a band, was at the local youth hall almost a decade ago.
        It was one of those places which had a bigger ground level area, with a decent stage, and a tiny upstairs cafe-type area.

For some reason, the organizer had decided to put us upstairs, while running a "disco" downstairs. So we had to cram our stuff in one little corner.
        Drums, amps... and a shitty little portable "house PA-system".

Our bassplayer at the time had gotten the idea to dress up exactly like his older brother, circa 10 years earlier. Biker jacket, black Levi's... and white shoes that were quite visibly too small for him. He took the shoes off halfway through the set...

Gets better, though. The organizer had set up some tables in front of us, to place the PA upon. Only problem was that the kids misunderstood the idea of this as being some sort of area they shouldn't get too close to.
        (Ok, so we also played loud... Big deal.)

Played the set, got enough money to get a twelve-pack for celebration, got drunk later on.

Good times...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by chefcraig
          ... along with the somewhat disturbing tendency of the lead singer to remain in the character of Robert Plant as he explained it all to me.
          That is fuckin' hilarious!

Originally posted by chefcraig
          Taking in the evening's events as I drove home to get about two and a half hours sleep before reporting for work the next morning, I came to a decision. After reading this far, I'm fairly confident that you'll be able to easily grasp what it eventually entailed.
          You're from south Fla., and you didn't take Clapton's advice?
          when your day is done, and you wanna run.. you know the rest...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
            First paid gig was a frat party on the UW campus.
            I take it Mr. Furnier was fairly generous?

:tongue0011:

Comment

• BITEYOASS
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

My first gig was at a party and I was quite drunk at the time. I was basically singing some random shit since it was just a jam, all I know is that I did this Halford-style scream so fuckin loud that you couldn't hear the guitars.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                My first performance in front of people was at Ft. Lewis, WA in the spring of 1978. I had gotten to know several musicians on base, and the Recreational Services Division announced a Battle Of The Bands. So myself, another guitarist, and a drummer got onstage and played 2 'jams' we had come up with. No vocals, no bass.

Needless to say we did not win.

But another band in the competition were friends, and I wound up in that band.
                I can relate to that...although I never played in any talent shows while I was still in, I met about 3 damn good musicians while I was still in...

I got a late start...I was always a perfectionist...I didn't really have the confidence to get up in front of people until I thought I was ready.

So when I got out, the barband scene was still popping, and by Dec. '91, I was working with a great drummer, who was looking to jam. He'd been out in LA playing with a band who decided to fire him because of his lack of "dedication", which meant he wasn't willing to throw down a ton of cash for the bands new P.A. system....the guitar player was on heroin most of the time.

So he came back to Ohio, we met, we jammmed, then another guy comes back from Cali that he knew. He played lead....he was great IMO...I think he's still out there somewhere.

Anyway, we work up a songlist, find a douche of a singer, and get our first paying gig...at a house party.

Long story short, there was a fight, someone was stabbed, the police came, I was holding an 8-ball, and climbed up on the roof of this 3 story house and hid from the law until the coast was clear.

We were in the middle of "Wasted" when the shit hit the fan....

My first gig.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Oh, and we did it without a bassplayer.

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

We put this band together from all the best players in high school.........none of us had played together in one band but we all had been in different bands together at one point......we had a week to rehearse and get ready to play in front of the entire school for an assembly, it was senior skip day and to placate the other grades they had this assembly.

To add to the shear panic of playing songs in front of 800 or so kids.......literally, 30 seconds before we started playing the a teacher came up to one of the guitarist and said something........the rest of the band huddled around.......they broke the huddle and looked at me.......The bass player came up to me, leaning over the drum kit(pictured above from that gig) "Hey dude, they want us to play for an extra 5 mins and since we don't know any other songs, do a drum solo, now" Holy shit! I turned to a buddy of mine, behind my drums and said, "tell me when 5 mins are up starting now" What do you do when all eyes are on you? You guessed it! Start cranking those double bass drums and hope for the best.......I put that kit together with everything I owned, was trying to rip off Neil Peart at that point of my 17 years on the planet earth, I played every fucking one of those drums and got a standing ovation! More because I beat the shit out of those fuckers, out of shear panic!

Anyways, I ran across this picture from that day..........We played; Run To The Hills, Talk Dirty To Me, School's Out, Shake Me, one guitarist did The Star Spangled Banner, the other one did Eruption and we ended with You Really Got me........the singer blew his voice out during Run To the Hills

That was my first real time playing in front of a ton of people!
                    Originally posted by vandeleur
                    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2007

hahaha!

Comment

Working...