X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Really?

I always thought he treated the song just a necessary bit of coloring around the guitar solo...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Rush.

What do I win?
      Close, but not quite.

Rush had another drummer, John Rutsey, on their first album.

They have remained solid after that though, despite having a complete prick for a manager.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
        As long as you dont count Dick Evans !
        (didnt AC/DC have a Dick or Dave Evans early on ??)
        You're the Aussie, you're supposed to know this shit!

It was Dave Evans, and they actually managed to make 2 singles with him, that never went any further than your own shores Down Under. A video did escape though......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pt3arm-0EyI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pt3arm-0EyI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And in an ironic twist to bring the thread back on topic, The Edge's real name, believe it or not, is Dave Evans, and his brother Dick was in another Irish band called The Virgin Prunes. They aren't related to the Aussie Dave Evans as far as I know.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Elvis complains about Bono's lyrics and then in the very next post mentions SLAYER?

Um, whose lyrics would Jesus prefer?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGAUTC3UP40&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGAUTC3UP40&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Neither...

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'd bet that "October" is one of JC's favorite albums of all time. Doubt that He has any Slayer in His collection, though.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/asYVKBTvWWc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/asYVKBTvWWc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh, where do we go,
              Where do we go from here?
              Where to go?
              To the side of a hill
              Blood was spilt
              We were still looking at each other.
              But we're going back there?

Jerusalem
              Jerusalem

Shout, shout, with a shout
              Shout it out, shout
              Shout it out.

I want to go, to the foot of Mount Zion
              To the foot of He who made me see
              To the side of a hill blood was spilt
              We were filled with a love
              And we're going to be there again

Jerusalem
              Jerusalem

Jerusalem
              Jerusalem
              Jerusalem
              Jerusalem
              Jerusalem

Shout, shout, with a shout
              Shout, with a shout.
              Last edited by FORD; 03-16-2009, 12:50 PM.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Originally posted by FORD
                I'd bet that "October" is one of JC's favorite albums of all time. Doubt that He has any Slayer in His collection, though.
                Hell Awaits
                South of Heaven
                God Hates Us All
                Christ Illusion..........

Yup, I think you're probably right
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjtpplE39_g&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjtpplE39_g&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I waited patiently for the Lord
                  He inclined and heard my cry
                  He brought me up out of the pit
                  Out of the miry clay

I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song
                  How long...how long...how long...
                  How long...to sing this song

He set my feet upon a rock
                  And made my footsteps firm
                  Many will see
                  Many will see and fear

How long...how long...how long...
                  How long...to sing this song
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Should have been re-titled 'No End To Bono's Ego' This is by far the most cut and dry U2 offering to date. Even Daniel Lanois and Eno's top production couldn't save it from it just being another exercise in Bono's self-indulgence. Every song from 'Moment Of Surrender' To 'White As Snow' is just as interchangeable as the next with little creative drive given to any one of them. It's like U2 looked at each other in the studio and said "uh, you got any ideas?" to which each other shrugged and replied, "nope, do you?" But I guess that didn't prevent them from making a record.

I'll never understand why people still have soft spot for U2 except for maybe that every "alternative" act since 1995 has done their best to sound like them (or R.E.M.) U2 to me is an old boyfriend who dumped you when he had some money and bought a "bitchin' car" to chase surgically-enhanced women in techno nightclubs only to come back to you all disillusioned and used calling you up drunk at three in the morning saying "hey, we really weren't that bad together..."

Comment

• Blaze
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

On a side note:
                      Ronnie Milsap released this month:
                      Then sings my soul: 24 Favorite Hymns and Gospel songs.
                      A good 2 solid hours of country gospel.
                      "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                      sigpic

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It was Dave Evans, and they actually managed to make 2 singles with him, that never went any further than your own shores Down Under. A video did escape though......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pt3arm-0EyI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pt3arm-0EyI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And in an ironic twist to bring the thread back on topic, The Edge's real name, believe it or not, is Dave Evans, and his brother Dick was in another Irish band called The Virgin Prunes. They aren't related to the Aussie Dave Evans as far as I know.

Wasn't his brother Dick originally in U2?

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          Wasn't his brother Dick originally in U2?
                          He was in a handful of early gigs when they still called themselves "Feedback" and "The Hype". Actually, at first, when the Evans brothers responded to Larry Mullen Jr's ad (posted at their school) that he was forming a band they only had one guitar between the two of them.

After a little while though, they decided a 4 man lineup was better and Dick went on to form The Virgin Prunes with some other friends of U2.

Probably a good thing that things worked out that way. Just look at Van Halen or the Kinks as examples of what can happen when brothers are in the same band. Just imagine Bono leaving after the Joshua Tree, and the Evans brothers replacing him with Simon LeBon
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Or Morrissey!

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2006

I've heard mixed reviews but maybe I'll pick up latest U2. I still like em despite St Bono's antics. I remember great quote from DLR's radio days: "I don't have to save the world, that's Bono's job." Did I get that right?

Oh yeah, F@(K Coldplay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                                Sniper
                                • Jan 2006

It was Dave Evans, and they actually managed to make 2 singles with him, that never went any further than your own shores Down Under. A video did escape though.......
                                WOW Good thing AC/DC turned their truck driver into their singer as Dave Evans was strictly Slade Jr. - Bon made the band.
                                "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

Working...