X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Mastodon – Once More Round the Sun (2014)

It is ironic (and tragic) that a band celebrated for being progressive are criticised so roundly when their sound…….progresses. When Mastodon’s released their previous record – 2012’s ‘The Hunter’ – they put one foot into rock, simplifying their sound somewhat and building upon shorter songs with more prominent vocal melodies. This was certainly a more to-the-point approach that the prog-metal labyrinth of ‘Crack The Skye’ (2009) or the full metal bluster of ‘Remission’ and ‘Leviathon’, but Mastodon were hardly Heavy Metal Judases – the frenetic riffs, crazy drumming, swirling melodies and warped lyrics were all present. ‘Once Round the Sun’ continues ‘The Hunter’s’ trajectory. In one sense, it’s still very Mastodon – there are moments of maniacal, demented genius at work, moments where riffs and melodies are guzzled by the belly of the beast. And yet, in another sense it’s an optimistic, colourful record bursting with choruses which tempers the ‘don’s metallic fury with a wider range of rock sounds. But it’s hardly a Foo Fighters record. Critics might spit the word ‘rock’ at them, but in this instance it’s no synonym of ‘conventional’, for ‘Once More…’ is a challenging, inspiring and awesome rock ‘n’ roll record.

‘The Motherload’ opens the album with stoner rock vibes and more than a little Southern Rock. With an upbeat tone and lyric, this is Mastodon you can rock out too, rather than demolish buildings. But it’s still music with a panoramic vision and cinematic quality, music made by a band that are so in tune with one another they work as an organism. ‘Asleep In the Dream’ is equally a point of departure, a spacey, translucent, shimmery song possessed of an eerie beauty of whispered melodies and sparkling guitar, whilst the title track has an psychedelic feel to it, with the band almost sounding like Hawkwind in places are they sweep from melody to melody. This is a band stretch it’s musical limbs and scratching multiple creative itches, a band that feels – if not quite sounds – miles away from the beardy beasts who bellowed out tunes about Moby Dick.

That’s not to say that there isn’t some heavy stuff here, however. Far, far from it! ‘Chimes At Midnight’ comes in at a gallop, battering ears and necks alike and propelled with and surging power which this band does like no other. It is as good as anything they’ve done before. ‘High Road’ is the most old skool of the tunes here, a lurching, riff-guzzling behemoth of a song oozing primordial power, and ‘Halloween’ is a swirling morass of groove and power. And epic, 8 minute closer ‘Diamond In The Witch House’ is full of the eerie bluster and grandiose majesty you’ve come to expect from this band, a truly crushing, almost claustrophobic musical experience. If this is Mastodon ‘selling out’, don’t be expecting you’re average Mumford & Sons fan to be jumping on board just yet.

But, as great as this is, there’s something missing. Like ‘The Hunter’ – and unlike Mastodon’s very finest records – ‘Once More…’ does not have an overarching theme. Even if you didn’t understand what ‘Crack The Skye’ was about (who did?) there was, at the risk of sounding pretentious, a certain musical unity to the album as a whole, a sense of a symphony which carried band and listener somewhere truly beyond themselves. That is no longer present and as a result, like ‘The Hunter’, ‘Once More….’ is a collection of great songs rather than a great album proper. Is that a criticism? Not really – how many bands achieve music on ‘Crack The Skye’ or ‘Leviathan’ level? Mastodon may no longer be exclusively ‘metal’, but I’d be very, very surprised if ‘Once More Round the Sun’ is not on the ‘best of 2014’ lists of most metalheads.

Stunning, stunning music.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Vallenfyre – Splinters (2014)

The second record from Vallenfyre – a motly cast of metal masters comprising of Gregor Mackintosh (Pardise Lost), Adrian Erlandson (At the Gates), Hamish Glencross (My Dying Bride) – is an absolute joy. Well, as far as a Doom Metal album can be called a ‘joy’. This is metal made by men who’ve been doing it long enough to know what to leave out, and how to create songs which have so much more presence by being less cluttered. Featuring a guitar tone that is just pure naaaasty – we salute you Mister Mackintosh – tunes like ‘Odious Bliss’ will make you headbang like a motherfucker. ‘Scabs’ takes elements of Death Metal, Doom and Punk into one uncluttered blast of music, while ‘Bereft’ is a My Dying Bride like lament, as lurching, slow and guttural as it is relentlessly heavy as it sucks you into its darkened world. Featuring Entombed-like guitars that thunder and smash in vicious waves of power, a raw production making the whole thing feel alive, breathing and wounded.

Great tunes played by great musicians: it is refreshing to hear doom played in a manner that is this direct, not pretentious.

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Crowbar – Symmetry In Black (2014)

Imagine the weight of the Death Star. Now throw in King Kong, all occupants of Texas, Piers Morgan’s ego, and the remaining blue whale population and you’re still nowhere near how heavy the average Crowbar riff is. Delivering sonic abuse for over two decades now, the Kirk Windstein (of Down fame) led New Orleans sludge metallers have made an album of pure brilliance in ‘Symmetry In Black’. They’ve always been a captivating affair – ultra-heavy Sabbath injected with crack-fuelled aggression and doused in melodic beauty – but this time out Windstein (who left the more lucrative Down to focus on this album) clearly had something to prove. There is, simply put, nothing even approaching filler here, and rather than just relying on riffs the band have focussed on song dynamics and dabbling in a slightly wider sonic palette. The results are stunning.

Opener ‘Walk With Knowledge Wisely’ is one of the best tunes that Windstein has ever penned. A maelstrom of blackened riffs, pro-power vocals and funereal melodies which are larger than life and twice as ugly. It’s typically Crowbar, but it’s also more muscular and utilizes rhythmic quirks to make the songs feel more alive and bestial. ‘Symmetry In White’ is a nightmarish psychedelia, the effect of having a bad trip whilst listening to Sabbath which is the perfect vehicle for the longing and agony of Windstein’s tortured larynx. ‘Amaranthine’ is light and woozy, and ‘Reflection of Deceit’ is progressive, a haunting melancholy that is at once morose and beautiful. Songs like this showcase Windstein the song-writer rather than just Windstein the epic riff welder, and the results are a more rounded, and even more powerful Crowbar, a Crowbar that can genuinely compete with metal’s elite.

That’s not to say that ‘growth’ equates to ‘toned down’. There is PLENTY of full tilt metal here, too. ‘Ageless Decay’ is a sonic head butt, ‘Shaman of Belief’ is what it must sound like to have something burrow out of your skull, ‘Teach The Blind to See’ is a vortex of riffs, and ‘The Foreboding’ is just something else, a slooow building, riff twisting blast of melancholy which encapsulates everything that Crowbar are about and passes beyond it. Here the band’s mantra rings true: NONE. FUCKING. HEAVIER.

Crowbar have been a great metal band for twenty years. With ‘Symmetry In Black’, they’ve become a great band. Period.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Architects – Lost Forever/ Lost Together (2014)

Last time out (2012’s ‘Daybreaker’), Architects delivered a spectacular mis-step. Softening and simplifying their sound in the hope for wider commercial appeal, they succeeded only in making an album that was both disingenuous and generic. For a band that is pretty much consistently heralded by the British metal press as the best homegrown UK band of their generation, it was a crushing disappointment. ‘Lost Forever…’ is definitely a step back on the right track. To these ears, Architects are still a band in search of their own identity (the looming shadow of the Dillinger Escape Plan is ever-present, and there are still many, many ‘core’ elements), but they’re still a remarkably talented young band. Opener ‘Gravedigger’ seems the return of wrenching vocals and screams which drip with conviction, and sees this band showcase their technical prowess, switch-hitting from time change to time change with an aggressive aplomb. ‘Naysayer’ sees extreme blasts of drums and guitars sandwiched between huge hooks and is the sound of a band leaping into their stride and releasing torrential hellfire. As you listen to ‘Broken Cross’ – with its Bring Me The Horizon atmospherics – you can see the crowd losing itself, and the band impress with their diversity: ‘C.A.N.C.E.R’ is the heaviest the band has ever sounded; ‘The Devil Is Near’ is a sweeping, cinematic 4 minutes of music; and ‘The Distant Blue’ sees the band exploring luscious soundscapes in a way that is emotional and melodic without sacrificing the band’s clout.

Essentially picking up where ‘Hollow Crown’ (2009) left-out, ‘Lost Forever…’ nevertheless sees Architects continue to grow. They’re quickly developing a remarkable arsenal of tunes.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Judas Priest – Redeemer Of Souls (2014)

‘Redeemer Of Souls’ is the best album Judas Priest have released in two decades. But that’s not saying much. The Priest ‘reunion’ has to be the most disappointing come-back in the history of music. ‘Angel Of Retribution’ (2005) attempted to recapture the glory of those relentless ‘80s anthems and descended into parody (hello, ‘Lochness’); and ‘Nostradamus’ (2008) was a musical travesty of such ridiculous, over-blown pomposity which not even its protagonist could have predicted. That ‘Redeemer Of Souls’ raises a smile, then, is perhaps not much of an achievement.

There are certainly plenty of plus points. Firstly, it’s a back-to-basics affair: all attempts at opera, prog or complex arrangements which failed on ‘Nostradamus’ have gone out of the window, replaced by a simplicity first approach which suits that band well. Secondly, it’s a very, very heavy record which will make your teeth rattle on numerous occasions. And, thirdly, it is an unapologetic celebration of Heavy Metal – where so many ageing metalheads become embarrassed by their own genre and claim to have spent their formative years ‘listening to old blues records, maaaan, Muddy Waters was my bible’, Priest feel no pretentions to be anything other than what they are. The result is an honest album. You just wish that it was also a good one.

There are certainly moments to enjoy. Opener ‘Dragonaut’ is everything you love about Priest – gutsy guitars, that glorious mid-paced chug that possesses so much weight, and lyrics of fantastic abandon (‘welcome to my world of steel….’ Halford begins); ‘Halls Of Valhalla’ is awash with melodrama, power and the screeching energy of riffs and vocals that makes metal so much larger than life; ‘Hell & Back’ is unbelievably heavy, a feel-good Priest song that will kill live; and ‘Cold Blooded’ is five and a half minutes of slow-burning molten metal on which the band show off their chops and kick in those dynamics which made their best material crackle and fizz. Best of all is the bluesy ‘Crossfire’, which could hark back all the way to ‘Rocka Rolla’ – in one sense it’s the least typical Priest tune here, but it also showcases the natural performance and positively spits out energy.

It’s such a shame, then, that these moments of inspiration are mired amidst others of such utter mediocrity. ‘Metalizer’ is clumsy self-parody of a cringe-worthy nature. ‘Down In Flames’ is a clichéd afterthought which essential re-works ‘Painkiller’s’ (1990) ‘One Shot At Glory’, and ‘March Of The Damned’ sounds like the sort of tepid tosh latter-day Ozzy knocks out, and is certainly not worthy of its superb title. There is often the sense of a band going through the motions, too. You can forgive Halford for putting the higher end of his voice on the shelf (for the most part) – not only is it unfair to criticise a man in his 60s for not being able to do what he did in his 20s, Halford’s vocals were always about more than piercing high notes. But you can’t forgive the ageing-band syndrome of writing flabby songs. Many of the tunes here are padded out to 5 minutes when they’d have so much more power at 4, and the relentless use of mid-tempos make the whole record feel flaccid and longer than it actually is. ‘Redeemer Of Souls’ was clearly intended to be an album of to the point, big, bold metal anthems – it’s just a shame that, like Black Sabbath’s ‘13’, the finished product doesn’t quite make the mark.

And yet, you can’t help but enjoy it. Maybe it’s the rose-tinted ear-lobes of the fan; maybe it’s the overwhelming forgiving nature of nostalgia, but because you want to love this album, you can’t help but like it despite its (many) faults. 40 years and 17 albums into their career, listening to Judas Priest in 2014 is like watching an ageing boxer who can’t quite pull the trigger any more. He’s still recognizably the semi-divine champ he once was, and shows fleeting moments of his former self as you will him on to victory. But as he continues to pass through the motions, you can’t help feeling an inexplicable sadness by how very fragile, and desperately human, he has become.

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

KXM – KXM (2014)

Usually when you describe a rock record as ‘contempoary’ you’re using it as a synonym for ‘confused’ or ‘characterless’, but in the case of the debut record from KXM – a three-piece comprising Doug Pinnick (King’s X), Ray Luzier (Korn, David Lee Roth) and George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob) – it is meant with as a genuine compliment. Here we have an album by a band who have taken influences from the entire 45 year span of your record collection and rolled them into something which is very much their own. At times gritty, bluesy or grungy, KXM is a heavy record on which each member restrains their ability to show-off and instead focusses on penning some damn fine tunes. Where so many ‘supergroups’ chase the glories of their past (Audioslave, Velvet Revolver) here is one in which the group is bigger than any ego involved in making it.

Opener ‘Stars’ has plenty of guts in the bottom end and is heavier than many will be expecting, a blast of gnarly hard rock with a very raw feel to it that is instantaneous. The voodoo blues of ‘Rescue Me’ is also like a shot to the chin, and comes with the sort of chorus that would be all over the radio in a fairer world. The songs are propelled by Luzier’s idiosyncratic rhythms to make them loose and very groove orientated, with the space between the pasts making the performances breathe and pulsate in a very live manner. When ‘I’ll Be OK’ kicks in there’s plenty of menace and bit, and the swing of ‘Sleep’ (which is one part grunge, the other gospel) makes for something mighty powerful. Pinnick’s vocals may be limited, but they positively drip conviction (see ‘Never Stop’ and ‘Burn’).

KXM is a record that rewards multiple spins, and the band have a sound that is both fresher than you might expect from guys this far into their careers and pushes beyond anything which any member has done. The emphasis on feel over flash is executed perfectly: in many ways, this may be some of Lynch’s best playing – not in a ‘oh-my-God-how-is-he-doing-that?’ kind of way, but in the sense of how much impact his guitar has here precisely because it’s both dialled down and locked into the weight of Luzier’s and Pinnick’s rhythms. It seems that you can teach old dogs new tricks.

All we can hope for now is that we get a chance to hear these tunes live.
              Last edited by binnie; 07-19-2014, 08:03 AM. Reason: format

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Supergroup...

You might as well have used Chickenfoot as an example...

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

BTW, KXM sounds like a dirt bike or some digital radio crap...

I'll check out a youtube...

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Wow, they must be real rock stars...

All of their vidieos are OFFICIAL...

They even have an OFFICIAL trailer...

Is there a movie also ??

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Well, the OFFICIAL Rerscue Me VIDEO featuring George Lynch, dUg Pinnick and Ray Luzier is pretty tired...

Sounds like an overly compressed demo...

Was never a fan of Lynch...

Next...

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

I think it's interesting to hear Lynch not doing his widdly stuff. It's the rhythms that hook me, though.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Yeah, because he only knows one solo...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Yeah, because he only knows one solo...
                            They probably weren't aiming for your Fundamentalist Christian Neo Classical Jealous Bedroom Guitarist Rock demographic.

You CNCJBGR fans are not really forefront in the minds of anyone tbh.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Five posts in a row.

Look at me look at me I can bitch about a friend of the site.

Maybe he'll notice me.

Sad.

Comment

• Von Halen
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

The best way I can describe this record, is sonic. I really liked it the first time I listened to it, and it just seems to get better with every play through it. My new Ram has the 10 speaker sound system with the sub in it, and this album sounds fucking phenomenal at max volume.

I was with Ray the other night, and he told me they will eventually play some live shows. Unfortunately, it is sounding like the first opportunity they will have to play live, will be in Japan. I just might go. I wonder if Cato will let me crash at his place? Ray also told me The Winery Dogs wanted KXM to tour with them, but Ray couldn't do it because of Korn doing the Mayhem Festival. That would have been one good show, to see those two bands together.

Elvis, I'm sorry George, Ray and Dug aren't shackled to a one room apt. in the shithole swamps of Louisiana, wanking away aimlessly on their music. Maybe they're just luckier than you are.

Speaking of George, he doesn't seem to be happy unless he's in about 7 different projects. He has another album I'm looking forward to. One with James LoMenzo, and Michael Sweet.

Comment

Working...