X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

I'm sorry....

I think Randy was a fantastic guitarist, and it's truly a shame he's been gone for 30 years.....

But I cannot honestly and objectively say that he was anywhere close to Edward Lodewijk Van Halen as a guitarist....

And truthfully, I don't even think it was close....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      I'm sorry....

I think Randy was a fantastic guitarist, and it's truly a shame he's been gone for 30 years.....

But I cannot honestly and objectively say that he was anywhere close to Edward Lodewijk Van Halen as a guitarist....

And truthfully, I don't even think it was close....

As a guitarist, I'd have to disagree.
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

EDDIE had the advantage of getting a major label release 1st..................

Randy was WAY ahead of his time............and as original as all HELL

Another advantage for EVH???

DAVID LEE ROTH fronting his band.....nobody in town was even close to the total package that was CLASSIC VAN HALEN

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
          As a guitarist, I'd have to disagree.
          OK, I'll take back the part about not even being close.....

Still disagree?
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
            Nah, according to Rudy (and KD) Randy had buckled down and gotten serious about guitar study, wasn't partying at all towards the end of his tenure with Ozzy (toxicology report confirms that). From what I've read this was more about the silly shit that went on during the QR days. Still nothing horribly incriminating.
            Anybody young and new to rock stardom would indulge. Yeah he probably got it out of his system by the time he was out of Quiet Riot. I remember Michael Anthony saying he broke a lot of shit when they first got signed. He said he stopped when he found out the bill for the damage gets sent to you and it comes out of your pay.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              OK, I'll take back the part about not even being close.....

Still disagree?

Yeah, still have to. IMO those first two Ozzy records are equally as revolutionary guitar-wise as the 1st 2 VH albums comparatively... plus I can't think of a single example of Ed doubling or triple-tracking one of his leads note-for-note, or orchestrating guitar tracks to the level Rhoads did. The guy was SO far ahead of his time.

Matt makes a good point too: Imagine how different things might have been had Randy been in a band with a frontman that was DLR's equal (not like there really is or ever was one, but play along for the sake of discussion...lol), rather than being a sideman as he was in Ozzy's band.
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• fanofcubs
                Roth Army Recruit
                • Aug 2012

Randy was great but with out Ozzy he may have toiled away in Quiet Riot and never been discovered.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Randy was a genius....no denying that. I think he did have an incredible front man.....his name was Ozzy friggin Osbourne. No offense to anyone here but Randy's playing on Quiet riot wasn't exactly mind blowing. I think Ozzy pulled some of that out of him. Randy was going to leave Ozzy anyway.....and probably would have drifted off into that weird part of the universe that some guitarists go to (Steve Vai) that only other guitarists really get hard over. In other words, songs without words, boring 8 minute guitar concertos. The dude was a complete virtuoso but I never felt that Ozzy held him back....what the fuck do I know....it's not like I was in the band....just think if Randy never played with Ozzy, maybe we never know how great he was.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Over 'Failed' Documentary, 'Unauthorized' Book

Blabbermouth.net focuses on the latest heavy metal and hard rock news, reviews and music featuring tour dates and release dates

The estate and family of legendary OZZY OSBOURNE/QUIET RIOT guitarist Randy Rhoads have filed a lawsuit against the filmmakers and authors Peter Margolis and Andrew Klein, the publishing company Velocity Publishing Group, Inc., and co-author Steven Rosen in connection with a failed documentary film project on the life of Randy Rhoads and the recent publication of a book stemming from the defendants' involvement in the project. The complaint accuses the defendants of fraud, breach of contract, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of rights of publicity and making extensive and unauthorized use of personal information and photos from the documentary project.

In late 2012, Randy Rhoads' mother, Delores Rhoads, along with the late guitarist's siblings Kathryn Rhoads D'Argenzio and Kelle Rhoads, learned that a coffee table book titled "Randy Rhoads" had been released, co-authored by Andrew Klein and rock writer Steven Rosen with the assistance of Peter Margolis and Denny Anderson. The family obtained a copy of the book and was "both astonished and horrified to see that Klein and Margolis are holding themselves out as 'experts' on the life of Randy Rhoads, implying that they had the approval and cooperation of the Rhoads family, which they did not," according to a press release from the Rhoads family's publicist, Nancy B. Sayle of VQPR, LLC.

"On April 1, 2007, Margolis entered into an agreement with the Rhoads family to produce a single documentary film on the life of Randy Rhoads," the press release adds. "Margolis assured the family that the film would be completed within three years. From that point on, however, Margolis himself did not own any of the ideas and materials obtained or created in the production of the documentary, or any of the photos, videos or sound recordings collected for use in it, having assigned all of that to Dakota Films, the company financing and producing the documentary. Over the next several years, Margolis, Klein and others, working for Dakota Films, went forward with the project. Although Margolis reportedly claimed, as of early 2012, that the documentary was completed — 'in the can' — it has never been released. Individuals who saw portions of it during production have reported that it was 'edited poorly and unprofessionally,' and that the quality of the film was 'abysmal.' The Rhoads family was frustrated by what they considered the mediocre quality of Margolis' film, and by the fact that the 'official documentary' they had so long hoped for had never come to fruition. This has been especially painful for Randy's mother, Delores Rhoads, who is now in her nineties, and has spent the last three decades carefully preserving and advancing the legacy of her son."

The press release continues: "The family contends that Margolis and Klein have stolen the materials; they have no rights or ownership of, from the failed documentary. They used them in the book, in order to try to exploit Randy and the family for their own profit, while trying to establish themselves as 'authorities' on Randy Rhoads. They have falsely implied that they have the Rhoads family's support and cooperation for the unauthorized book. The family emphasizes that in no way did they authorize or participate in publication of the book, nor have they had anything more to do with either Margolis or Klein since the production of the unreleased documentary ended. Moreover, according to the family's complaint, the book contained more than fifty instances in which Klein and Margolis had used, without permission, photos, excerpts from interviews and other personal information that had been provided to them by the Rhoads family solely and exclusively for use in the authorized documentary film and for no other purpose."

Randy Rhoads died in a 1982 plane crash at age 25 while on tour with Osbourne.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Don't we have 2 or 3 threads on this Documentary?

JHale would know....he's our resident RR expert.
                      Originally posted by Kristy
                      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                      Originally posted by cadaverdog
                      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Yeah we do.....not to foist actual work off on anyone, but I guess this could be merged into whichever thread exists....

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          Yeah we do.....not to foist actual work off on anyone, but I guess this could be merged into whichever thread exists....
                          Fuck that shit.....

Work is for webbies.

Mods just bitch and edit.
                          Originally posted by Kristy
                          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                          Originally posted by cadaverdog
                          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                            Don't we have 2 or 3 threads on this Documentary?

Yeah, but it's not like I can merge threads in forums I don't mod. That, and I'm really busy bitching and editing.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                              Truthfully, the real expert is that tojoro fellow, out of Boston. Hell, the dude even has an RR avatar. To speak of whom, I hope the guy is doing OK, seeing as how he has not posted here since the last week of November, 2012.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

I have always found Mr. Rhoads and his music to be utterly quite boring.

Comment

Working...