• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Wow, what a classy chick.....
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• hambon4lif
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
      As for Speak Of The Devil, Osbourne has dismissed the album as a bunch of covers. Well, no kidding OZZY. It's also one of my favorite live recordings ever. Brad Gillis sounds like he's having a blast ripping through the Sabbath catalogue, and Tommy Aldridge occasionally plays in time (probably by mistake).
      It looked like it was made just to go head-to-head with Sabbaths "Live Evil". It had to be more than a coincidence that they both came out at almost the same time....

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

At the time it was claimed that they owed her dad a live album to end their contract with Jet and didn't want to cash in on Randy Rhodes but at this point I don't believe a single thing they say or have said without some proof.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There is apparently more to the Phil Soussan deal than has been reported. At Randy Castillo's funeral in 2002, it seems Sharon and Soussan got into a physical confrontation. At a funeral, for crying out loud.
          It seems that for Soussan to have the 'honor' of having Ozzy sing the song he had to give half the royalties to Ozzy. Ozzy then got him to rewrite the lyrics making them less about love and then recorded it.

I would imagine at a later date like just about everyone before him Soussan asked where his royalty checks were causing Sharon to have a screaming fit.

Rudy Sarzo said in his book that to get paid he would have to go to Sharon who would then from time to time give him some pocket money. Ozzys bandmates were in the less than perfect position of being 'hired guns' but without having a salary. Then after the tour if you had a writing credit which you already had to give half of to Ozzy you would find that Sharon had diverted your royalty check. I think that's why so many left or were fired over the years.

At the time Ozzy would come out with some line like 'He left for health problems, he was making me sick' and we would all laugh. Turns out they were being fired for something pretty minor but unacceptable to the witch like doing a drum clinic or selling a few t-shirts like Carmine Appice.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

While I was looking for some info on the Speak of the Devil release (Sesh did a great job explaining things, by the way) I found mention of a DVD with the same name and performed by the same band, and was originally a VHS release only in Japan. The DVD version was recently made available only in Brazil. The odd part is that this DVD is a region 1 deal, making it only viewable in the U.S. and Canada. Why would it be released in Brazil then? It's probably a bootleg, but I'd love to get a copy of this.

Set list:

Over The Mountain
            Mr. Crowley
            Crazy Train
            Revelation (Mother Earth)
            Steal Away
            Suicide Solution
            Goodbye To Romance
            I Don't Know
            Believer
            Flyin' High Again
            Iron Man
            Children Of The Grave
            Paranoid.
            Last edited by chefcraig; 03-23-2010, 08:43 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kissfan1976
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              At the time it was claimed that they owed her dad a live album to end their contract with Jet and didn't want to cash in on Randy Rhodes but at this point I don't believe a single thing they say or have said without some proof.
              I remember reading something like that too back in the day.

Ozzy claimed the record company wanted to put out a live album with Randy and it was the record company's idea to call it SPEAK OF THE DEVIL but Ozzy didn't want any sort of satanic themed album titles tied in with Randy's death.
              So at the last minute he threw together the show that would be Speak Of The Devil.
              I also remember reading in a gossip section that supposedly Ozzy's live vocals for that album were so out of wack that he overdubbed all vocals in the studio(which is no shocker now days since I have found out over the years that most "live" albums aren't that "live").

Comment

• kissfan1976
                Head Fluffer
                • Jan 2010

Brad Gillis sounds like he's having a blast ripping through the Sabbath catalogue, and Tommy Aldridge occasionally plays in time (probably by mistake).

I remember reading that Gillis had less than a week to learn the Sabbath tunes,he's the best thing about that album.

I feel the same way about Aldridge,too.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

While I was looking for some info on the Speak of the Devil release (Sesh did a great job explaining things, by the way) I found mention of a DVD with the same name and performed by the same band, and was originally a VHS release only in Japan. The DVD version was recently made available only in Brazil. The odd part is that this DVD is a region 1 deal, making it only viewable in the U.S. and Canada. Why would it be released in Brazil then? It's probably a bootleg, but I'd love to get a copy of this.

Set list:

Over The Mountain
                  Mr. Crowley
                  Crazy Train
                  Revelation (Mother Earth)
                  Steal Away
                  Suicide Solution
                  Goodbye To Romance
                  I Don't Know
                  Believer
                  Flyin' High Again
                  Iron Man
                  Children Of The Grave
                  Paranoid.
                  That was actually a home video from the era that Ozzy has also deleted (along with "The Ultimate Ozzy" and the one of the "Bark at the moon" tour).

That would be an excellent DVD set that would sell like fuck, enough for Ozzy AND everyone he had to pay royalties to, but Sharon would never allow it.
                  sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by kissfan1976
                    I remember reading something like that too back in the day.

Ozzy claimed the record company wanted to put out a live album with Randy and it was the record company's idea to call it SPEAK OF THE DEVIL but Ozzy didn't want any sort of satanic themed album titles tied in with Randy's death.
                    So at the last minute he threw together the show that would be Speak Of The Devil.
                    I also remember reading in a gossip section that supposedly Ozzy's live vocals for that album were so out of wack that he overdubbed all vocals in the studio(which is no shocker now days since I have found out over the years that most "live" albums aren't that "live").

If you listen carefully you can still hear Ozzy swearing at certain points.

Especially during the intro to "Symptom of the universe".
                    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Walker
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

I thought I read somewhere recently that Ozzy punched Randy in the face because he didn't want to do a live album of Sabbath covers... suggesting the Sabbath concept of 'Speak of the Devil' was in the works prior to Randy's accident.

Comment

• kissfan1976
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2010

There was an interview with Ozzy in the early 2000's after one of the Black Sabbath headlined Ozzfest tours where he claims the original Sabbath secretly tried to reunite in the early 90's but his EGO wouldn't let.

EGO = Sharon wanting to control the it all.

That must have been back after his Farewell Tour in 1992 when Rob Halford sang with Black Sabbath since Dio bowed out of opening up for Ozzy on those last 2 shows and the original Sabs reunited onstage after Ozzy's set to play a 5 song set.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

If I want to listen to Sabbath I listen to Speak of the Devil.

What?!!!!

Now, I like Speak of the Devil, but if I want to listen to Sabbath, I listen to Sabbath - the list of heavy metal albums better than their first six is a short one......
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                            Remember when Ozzy was cool?

It's hard isn't it? That's how easily a phenomenal legacy can be pissed away....

You don't need to remind us. This is a Classic Van Halen board you know.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• atomicpunk5151
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Aug 2004

It seems that for Soussan to have the 'honor' of having Ozzy sing the song he had to give half the royalties to Ozzy. Ozzy then got him to rewrite the lyrics making them less about love and then recorded it.

I would imagine at a later date like just about everyone before him Soussan asked where his royalty checks were causing Sharon to have a screaming fit.
                              It is crazy how that one credit for Shot in the Dark had them delete 3 cds in UlSin, Just say Ozzy & Live & Loud.

Shot in the Dark was a LIVE staple for Ozzy for a looooong time. Bet they never play that one again.....lol...

I do remember a interview around 1990 where Ozzy slagged the original version of ShotIND and said his new band with Zakk recorded a much better version.

+++

Not sure I have heard much about Speak of the Devil as to why it was deleted. It is probably something as stupid as not wanting to give Tony, Geezer & Bill any royalties as well.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Funny Ozzy saying that about SITD since every single time I've heard him sing it live he fucks up the chorus.

Comment

Working...