X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Here is the proof:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-Zt40qu9vc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-Zt40qu9vc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Blackflag
      Banned
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
      Rush IS prog rock, in fact they are one of the best examples.

Prog isn`t just about concept albums and 20 minute songs, in many ways those aren`t "progressive" as they`ve been done.

Prog rock, IMO, is taking your style of rock music where noone else has been, which Rush always try to do.

So you DO like prog rock!

NO!!

I'm not listening to you! la la la la la

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
        it's just that we've always been powerless to change anything.
        Hahahahaha...

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

That was a great review Kristy. Try as I might, I've just never been able to get into Jethro Tull, or Yes for that matter. I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like - I love King Crimson, ELP and newer prog-esque bands like The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree and Tool, but there's something about Jethro Tull that just leaves me cold......
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by binnie
            Try as I might, I've just never been able to get into Jethro Tull, or Yes for that matter. I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like...
            Could be a lot of Tull's music seems like it's been pulled from the mid-17th Century (European) Renaissance period emphasizing on the art and the polyphony rhythms of that age (even in Tull's early days did they dress like wandering minstrels).

I'm not a big fan of theirs myself but have been listening to some of Tull's work in the mid to late 70's (which I think was their best) like 'Songs From The Wood', 'Heavy Horses', and 'Minstrel In The Gallery' which all surround themselves on a basic conceptual theme of booming industry and the loss of nature that goes with it, greed, commercial cynicism, and even themes of BDSM:

"Crop handle carved in bone, sat high upon a throne of finest English leather..."

Tull pretty much wrote the book of the concept album which was the genesis (no pun intended) of all prog rock no matter how absurd or pretentious it became.

One good point I will say about Tull is that Anderson kept both the music and lyrics on a cerebral path rather than straying off into the abstract and inane - lyrics-wise. Again, marlins jumping out of a lake...

And Rush were definitely prog. They still are to this day (Just listen to 'Roll The Bones in which all the songs bases themselves on the subject(s) of gambling, fate and death) Problem is is that prog was solely an English invention and whether or not prog took all the fun out of rock 'n' roll and turned into a boring "art form" is another argument but Rush did borrow heavy on the English standard of concept rock and symbolism only they kept to more of a hard rock style of playing in most cases.

Comment

• Anonymous
              Banned
              • May 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Hahahahaha...
              What?

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

By the way, I think Mr. Badguy is right.

Jethro Tull may have been clumped up in the "Prog rock" bullshit, but I don't think that's ever been Ian's intention.

He's always leaned to a more medieval shtick anyway. At least at first. His flute in many songs reflects that, more than any "progressive" tendencies.

By the way, doesn't "progressive rock" sound like a corporate buzzphrase? Or "nu metal".

Comment

• Anonymous
                  Banned
                  • May 2004

And what's that all about with "marlins jumping out of lakes" anyway?

Can't understand that.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Well, I'm fucked: the correct line is "Mountains come of of the sky and they stand there."

For the longest time I thought they sung "marlins" Time to get my hearing checked.

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Oh, you mean these lyrics:

Yes Lyrics To Be Added To New Testament | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Cheers! :cheers:

Comment

• Mr Walker
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Anyone pick up the Live at MSG 1978 CD/DVD?
                        Hard to remember that they used to be that huge of a draw.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                          Anyone pick up the Live at MSG 1978 CD/DVD?
                          Hard to remember that they used to be that huge of a draw.
                          It`s easy to see when you watch it, they were a phenomenal band at the time, maybe the best they ever were.

Anderson was also an incredible performer as well, it`s hard to take your eyes off of him.

The only problem is it`s too short, but kudos to Ian for including the whole show in audio.

Tull are the 70`s best kept secret.
                          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

Working...