Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

I've been fast forwarding through this thread in order to avoid the baloney, so if this clip was previously posted, forgive me...

Three of my favorite tracks from the bootlegged "Club Days" era of VH are the band's take on Zep's "The Rover", an obscure Edgar Winter Group tune called "We All Had A Real Good Time" and this one, a cover of Rainbow's "Man On A Silver Mountain". To me, the fact that Dave rarely if ever got the words completely correct (while maintaining that he'd learned the song) for these tunes was brash, amusing, bold and definitely the right attitude to have. Sorry about the dismal sound quality.

Thanks to Mr. Walker for the inspiration.

R.I.P. Mr. Dio.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

RIP Dio, thanks for the great work.

I love Dio , his voice and his contributions.

Chemo is a scam , bottom line.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by GAR
        I just want to state a few obvious points on Dio's passing:

1. He was a millionaire, and just finished writing his biography. I'm not donating shit to any cause in his memory - but I will buy the book.
        2. I think he wasted the last quarter of his life, since he could have gone on to better and more positive music, or things like real estate, or started his own record label, unless he really wasn't very business-minded.
        3. There's that one spot in "Heaven and Hell" live, where he always encourages people's apostasy - or invariably his veiled reference to the defiant rebellion of God - and the concert audience reacts with enthusiastic applause... which I always thought he's going to be held accountable for that someday.

Today's that day. And there's always that last-chance to take a deep breath and reconsider one's course, yet I don't think Dio was able to change his course=too self-willed, self-serving and worldly to acknowledge his eternal position. We'll see though if Wendy ever makes a case for clarity on Dio's faith, or lack of faith and if not, well that's why I'd like to read his bio.
        I hope that this is a 'too soon' inappropriate attempt at humor because otherwise you're fucking mental.

Here are a few obvious points.

1) Noone asked you for money and I think given how much time you spend here without donating I don't think anyone would expect you to give money to anything.

2) He wasted his life being a rock star rather than getting into real estate is the aforementioned line I hope was meant to be humor.

3) Only particularly weak minded kids under the age of 14 or reactionary middle aged soccer mums from the 1980s think any references to Satan or any of his naughty horned minions in heavy metal is anything other than a flight of fancy and fantasy in the same way as horror films are.

And if you are now some santimonious super Christian I hope I don't need to come over there and stone you for working on the Sabbath in defiant rebellion of god.

Cheers!

Comment

• fryingdutchman
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Rest In Peace, Ronnie.

Your voice will live on forever.
          Originally posted by perilouspete
          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

R.I.P. Dio.

What a great loss. One of the best rock lyricist ever.

" You're the last in line"

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmSt1oEIshE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmSt1oEIshE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                Oh fuck, I can NOT believe that the usual pieces of shit can't stop their fucking attention whoring for ONE minute, even in a thread where we honour DIO.

This goes for YOU - Gayr, Suckadicki & The Fag - Fuck the not wishing ill on anybody. I really hope you die, you son of a bitch. Your mother should've killed you the minute you came out. NOONE so pathetic deserves to live.

Fuck the rules - this amount of disrespect is worth perma-bannings.

Die!
                Unfuckingbelievable. These assholes cannot keep their pathetic hatred of all from polluting any thread they touch. It's disgusting. They should ALL die. Fucking P.O.S.'s one and all.

This thread is a tribute to one of the greatest singers in Rock. SHOW SOME FUCKING RESPECT, ASSHOLES.
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

QUEEN guitarist Brian May has posted the following message on his web site regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"It's a shock to hear that Ronnie has gone. Even though we had all known he was battling with cancer for some time, he was such a wiry fighter, and of such an amazingly optimistic nature, I think I assumed he would go on forever.

"Well, he fought to the very end... was gearing up to go back out on tour.

"I know this will be a very hard blow for my friend Tony Iommi.

"When I last saw Ronnie in Los Angeles, he was as full of life and positivity as anybody I've ever known .. and sang up a storm with HEAVEN & HELL in the Universal Amphitheatre.

"In my opinion, Ronnie was one of the creators of the genre of heavy metal. I'm not an expert on his work — there are many people much more knowledgeable than me... but our paths crossed many times over the years, and I had clear glimpses of his unique spirit and personality. He was in many ways the antithesis of the current mould of TV-bred singers. He had no apparent desire for fame, in the sense that so many 'X-Factor' contestants seem to. He was not a TV face, a 'celebrity.' He just loved doing what he did. So, to his millions of fans, there was an unquestionable feeling of reality to his persona, his songwriting, and his performances. His lyric-writing was very distinctive, and set a style in heavy metal which has influenced many bands over the years. To me, it was as if his mind operated in layers — on the surface, a hard-working honest singer, with a great humanity and strong sense of humour — and underneath, in the world of his songs, his subconscious seemed to be populated by hobgoblins of all kinds, and palpable evil forever on the march. His lyrics, dark and mysterious, in tune with the metal ethos, always represented the sword of goodness in triumph over evil.

"I don't know if he invented the devil-horn salute, but he was certainly the man who, more than ever, made it a universal symbol, a worldwide salute of metal.

"He was universally loved in the community of rock music, and will be sorely missed."

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

British heavy metal veterans IRON MAIDEN have released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"It is with huge sadness we hear that Ronnie has lost his battle against stomach cancer, and our heartfelt condolences go out to his wife Wendy and family at this terrible time.

"From his earlier years in ELF, BLACK SABBATH and DIO, right through to his most recent days fronting HEAVEN & HELL, Ronnie, time and again, proved his genius as a frontman, always giving his all to his fans and his music.

"Ronnie was not only an incredibly gifted singer but also a wonderfully warm, intelligent and generous person and this shone through both on and off stage leaving a positive mark on everyone he came into contact with. A longstanding friend of MAIDEN, we played many shows together over the years and we will all miss him greatly.

"The world has lost an irreplaceable talent and, first and foremost, one of the finest human beings you could ever wish to meet."

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

What a sad day. The passing of a legend.

Comment

• Combat Ready
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Mar 2007

An icon has slipped away.....One of a kind.

Rip Ronnie

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkTKzaKPIjM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkTKzaKPIjM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL guitarist Tony Iommi has released the following statement regarding the passing of his bandmate, legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Yesterday 16th May my dear, dear friend Ronnie James Dio passed away at 7.45am L.A. time.

"I've been in total shock; I just can't believe he's gone.

"Ronnie was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. We had some fantastic times together.

"Ronnie loved what he did, making music and performing on stage. He loved his fans so much. He was a kind man and would put himself out to help others.

"I can honestly say it's truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years.

"His music will live on forever.

"Our thoughts are with Wendy Dio [Ronnie's wife/manager] who stood by Ronnie until the end. He loved her very much.

"The man with the magic voice is a star amongst stars, a true professional.

"I'll miss you so much, my dear friend."

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

Damn, i literally just found out when i pulled up this thread. I am totally sick at my stomach. I'm going home from work.
                            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Link to LA times story...

Comment

• Anonymous
                                Banned
                                • May 2004

I'm still a bit confused about the whole thing. I guess I did assume he'd go on forever...

And I know it's customary to speak well of the deceased, but in this case, I guess it would be impossible to speak ill. I have never heard a bad word about Ronnie.

This really, really sucks.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

Working...