Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Ugh....Desmond Child is possibly then here in Gnashville already adding to the air pollution......

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
      My favorite Alice extra was the Muscle of Love book cover... I think it had a picture of the band peeling potatoes on it in their sailor gear.
      They had serious issues with that box cover, and it was pretty much a disaster from a business point of view. For one thing, since it was so damned big (roughly 4 times the thickness of an average album) it required extra shipping costs. Then it was discovered that only 4-5 would fit in the record bins at retailers, so if those sold, the bins more often than not went unfilled (the remainder of the copies being in the stockroom someplace), so customers that failed to ask for the album went away empty-handed.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Mr Walker
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
        They had serious issues with that box cover, and it was pretty much a disaster from a business point of view. For one thing, since it was so damned big (roughly 4 times the thickness of an average album) it required extra shipping costs. Then it was discovered that only 4-5 would fit in the record bins at retailers, so if those sold, the bins more often than not went unfilled (the remainder of the copies being in the stockroom someplace), so customers that failed to ask for the album went away empty-handed.

I'm talking about the paper book cover that came inside the cardboard box cover. I put it on my science notebook back in the day.

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I'm talking about the paper book cover that came inside the cardboard box cover. I put it on my science notebook back in the day.

This?

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Ya know, I completely forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. These albums were really inspired at the time for their packaging, like Cheech and Chong's Big Bamboo which was a pack of rolling papers, and even included a huge one. I recall a Rick Wakeman album that came with a piece of reflective paper that could be rolled into a tube. You'd put it on the cover and you'd see this weird image reflected in the "mirror".

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
              This?
              Nah, that's merely a picture from the inner sleeve. The item looked just like an old fashioned book cover you'd buy at the supply store at school, with lines for your name, subject, ect. The only difference was it had an image of the band on it and the words Muscle Of Love, otherwise it looked traditional.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I don't remember it. I'm not an Alice fan though I buddy of mine had , still has ,about every album pressed from 1970 to 1986. He may have it. I would kinda like to see what it looks like. I am curious if Mr. Walker looked like a homo with it on his science book.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Nicely done. Here is a screen shot of the book cover. As I said, at first glance it looks just like a normal one available at the time.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Nicely done. Here is a screen shot of the book cover. As I said, at first glance it looks just like a normal one available at the time.

Hmm. I am trying to decide if I would have thought that was gay or not. I obviously wasn't rich like Mr. Walker so I had to hand make all my book covers. I painstakingly drew this on a fuckin paper sack and wrapped my Science book in it.

Seriously. I had others also then I figured fuck it' I'm just wrapin my shit in a paper sack. Who cares. Nice book cover Mr. Walker.

Comment

• MAX
                        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Cheech and Chong's Big Bamboo which was a pack of rolling papers, and even included a huge one. "
                        I still have that album and in MINT condition complete with the giant doobie/rolling paper!!!
                        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                          ...I obviously wasn't rich like Mr. Walker so I had to hand make all my book covers. I painstakingly drew this on a fuckin paper sack and wrapped my Science book in it.
                          Seriously. I had others also then I figured fuck it' I'm just wrapin my shit in a paper sack. Who cares. Nice book cover Mr. Walker.
                          Yeah, I pretty much went the same route, using brown grocery bags from the supermarket. The thing is, some ornery teachers would require you to cover the books loaned in their classes, so in order to show their discontent, kids would often adorn the covers with the most vulgar (for the time) images. I had one book with a carefully drawn pot leaf on it, another with a RORER 714 'lude on it. Considering I was still in middle school and wouldn't come into contact with either until around 3-4 years later, this was about as outrageous as I could be at the time.

Originally posted by MAX
                          I still have that album and in MINT condition complete with the giant doobie/rolling paper!!!
                          Me too! I think mine might have a section about the size of a business card cut out of it, though.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• MAX
                            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Me too! I think mine might have a section about the size of a business card cut out of it, though.
                            Hey, desparate times call for desparate measures...
                            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                              "Hey it's not real man I just fill it up with my old socks and stuff."
                              "well let's light it up anyway"

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                                Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Not only was the album's content brilliantly warped, the packaging was nothing short of inspired as well. In those days, 12 inch albums were not given much thought by most artists, who pretty much showed up for the cover shoot and that was about it. Alice Cooper on the other hand included all sorts of cool things with their records. For instance, the School's Out album cover folded out into a miniature school desk, that once opened revealed the record wrapped in a pair of girl's panties. Billion Dollar Babies' cover was actually a wallet that included cut out trading cards and a billion dollar bill featuring a picture of the group. The thing is, you were never charged more for these extras, and the album was never re-released a few months later with some crummy live tracks or "floor of the studio scrapings" as an "extended version", in effect expecting you to buy the same record twice.
                                I've got them all. Don't forget the doors that opened up for From The Inside.
                                Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

Working...