• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Call's Michael Been, dead at 60

The Call's Michael Been Dies of Heart Attack at B.R.M.C. Show

According to multiple media reports, musician and sound engineer Michael Been died on Thursday, after apparently suffering a massive heart attack backstage at the Belgian music festival Pukkelpop. He was 60.

Been first made a name for himself as the founder and leader of Bay Area alt-rock band the Call, who first had a hit in 1983 with their single 'The Walls Came Down.' The Call opened for Peter Gabriel on his 1982 'Shock the Monkey' tour and collaborated with him on their 1985 album, 'Reconciled.' They also collaborated with Garth Hudson and Robbie Robertson, both of the Band. The Call were active for two decades beginning in 1980, despite a break in the mid-'90s when Been briefly pursued a solo career. Been also put the band on hold, briefly, in 1987 when he appeared as Apostle John in the movie 'The Last Temptation of Christ.'

Been's son, bassist Robert Levon Been (who has also gone by the name Robert Turner), co-founded the band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in 1998. Michael took an active interest in his son's musical career and toured with the band as their sound engineer. He was working with them, at Pukkelpop, when he allegedly suffered the heart attack backstage.

Buddyhead reports that the festival's organizer says Been received immediate medical aid by an on-site medical team and was then rushed to Salvator Hasselt hospital, where he was later declared dead.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to his friends, family, bands and fans. Condolences have been pouring into the BRMC Facebook page and there's a memorial on the Call's official website as well -- he will be missed by more than one musical community and by more than one generation of music fans.

It's sad that I only found out about this a month after the fact. Guess the corporate whore media didn't even see fit to report it. Even if you only remember them for their one big hit, The Call were a great band for the times. Michael Been was a decent songwriter, and a good human being who will be missed. I really had no idea the guy was 60. A little old for a guy from an 80's band......
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If you must be remembered for just one song, you should be lucky enough to have one as good as this.....

Well they blew the horns
    And the walls came down
    They'd all been warned
    And the walls came down
    They just stood there laughing
    They're not laughing anymore
    The walls came down
    Sanctuary fades
    congregation splits
    Nightly military raids
    The congregation splits
    It's a song of assassins
    Ringin' in your ears
    We got terrorist thinking
    Playing on fears
    Well they blew the horns
    And the walls came down
    They'd all been warned
    But the walls came down
    I don't think there are any Russians
    And there ain't no Yanks
    Just corporate criminals
    playin' with tanks
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Not to say they didn't have other songs......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Sadly, this reminds me of the young high school QB that died early this very week. I am a 100% full supporter of portable defibrillators being more readily available at schools, concerts, events of all types. It should also be standard training in all CPR classes, and for all security types. Those portable ones run less than $1500. I know that might seem like a lot. But we waste money on much, much worse bullshit. At least this would inevitably save some lives...young & old. (and if the demand became larger for them, the price would most likely come down)

And I remember all those songs dude. Cool band that just seemed to disappear. Unfortunately, as we age we are only going to hear more & more stories like this.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Sad to learn of this news. I loved the Let The Day Begin album, and this is my favorite song from it. The song was the B-side for the "Let The Day Begin" 45. And FORD is correct, these guys have been neglected by both time and record labels, as most of their albums are now out of print.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sadaist

And I remember all those songs dude. Cool band that just seemed to disappear. Unfortunately, as we age we are only going to hear more & more stories like this.
                      Good...

The Call sucked...

Cheese like that makes me nostalgic for Van Hagar...

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Nice way to speak about your "brother in Christ", Gregory
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Did anybody else notice in the "Walls Came Down" video that Been is playing a Telecaster in the beginning of the video, and a Strat at the end, even though the whole video was shot on the same set? Can't believe I never saw that before. I only noticed it in the first place because I thought it was odd that he was playing lead guitar on this one, since he was usually the bass player.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Good...

The Call sucked...

Cheese like that makes me nostalgic for Van Hagar...

As cold as that comment was I can relate because that's the way I feel about Triumph. If I Can't Stop Loving you and El Debarge had a baby, it would be Magic Power. But these guys were good, certainly fitting of the tribute they've been given imo. (no offense Triumph fans, but you're probably shopping for dresses anyway)

Speaking of rigor mortis, how is Steve Priest still around?
                            I love Sweet, but it looks like he crawled out of the ocean and was the inspiration for a Croft Saturday morning Sea Monster character.

Comment

• Jack68
                              Commando
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                              Sadly, this reminds me of the young high school QB that died early this very week. I am a 100% full supporter of portable defibrillators being more readily available at schools, concerts, events of all types. It should also be standard training in all CPR classes, and for all security types. Those portable ones run less than $1500. I know that might seem like a lot. But we waste money on much, much worse bullshit. At least this would inevitably save some lives...young & old. (and if the demand became larger for them, the price would most likely come down)

The company i work for requires everyone to take a 1 day cpr defib training as part of safety on site.Myself and another coworker were in apart of the plant where clear as day you could see somebody took a dive.We knew the guy 58 years old ...smoker,drinker etc.Fucking blue...never seen it in person.My coworker and i knew he wasnt joking,called the safety # and i took a header fucking tripping over a pallet running towards the paddles,get up get them out of the case which was in a well planned strategic spot.To all you cops and firemen and ems workers.Thanks but you can keep that shit.
                              We try to get the shirt off but because its like a bad golf shirt from the 90s its practically a mesh armor suit from ye days of olde.Get the shirt off ,shit oozing out of the guys mouth,grab the paddles...read the instructions..step 1...fast forward firstaid responds after we zapped the guy twice and the fucker had a pulse and was breating on his own.Fucking amazing.He drank and smoked himself to death about a year later but thats my story.
                              Sorry about hijacking the thread Ford no offense thought it was relavant.
                              "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

Working...