24 years ago today, Metal lost it's greatest bass player.. Cliff Burton R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous
    Banned
    • May 2004

Cliff & Mustaine were Metallica. When Cliff died & with Mustaine long, long gone, Metallica had a few scraps to put together a half decent album & just went downhill from there.

How many more kickass albums could Cliff have released, noone will know, obviously, but I bet he could've managed at the very least a couple more REALLY good ones.

He rocked. Hard. In a band of wet manginas.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chan_bkny

I've watched Cliff 'Em All so many times that I figured out how to play the bass intro to "For Whom The Bell Tolls" from studying the master:

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KpxOmksHrY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
      Cliff was the first I saw who played bass like a lead guitar. CRAZY!

And James was the coolest motherfucker around during this era. The white Gibson, the beers onstage, the whole attitude. Imagine going back to that time & telling James he would need sober group therapy to stay in a band with Lars & Kirk.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
        Hey i dig cliff,and i mean this in no disrespect but,Cliff was not metal's greatest bass player.
        Ian Hill of Judas Priest is better (my opinion),

(I know it's your opinion, but)

Ian Hill? Perfect for Priest but would probably be lost on a 4/4 shuffle (Just my opinion) ...

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
        .So is Dimebag Darrell metal's greatest guitarist?.

R.I.P Cliff
        Dime was the EVH of Metal.

I've witnessed both of these guys live. They were legends when they were alive and walking this planet. And they're still legends.
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Originally posted by sadaist

And James was the coolest motherfucker around during this era. The white Gibson, the beers onstage, the whole attitude. Imagine going back to that time & telling James he would need sober group therapy to stay in a band with Lars & Kirk.

Comment

• ppg960
            Sniper
            • Dec 2005

Just finished the auto-biography for the band. A good read indeed.
            I was 16 when this happened-still remember it.
            Master of Puppets was a great album!!

RIP-Cliff

Comment

• Green Manalishi
              Head Fluffer
              • Jul 2010

I was very fortunate to see the killer version of Metallica in February of '85 kicking W.A.S.P. and Armoured Saints asses

in a night club and kicking Ozzy's ass very badly in Kiel Auditorium in April of '86 . Cliff was supercool live .

Metallicas music and psyche understandably took a serious hit when he died . Though I really like the original Garage Days

and Justice For All ( they both had remnants of Cliff ) I feel they were never the same and unfortunately crap like the black album

started to rear its ugly head . Its been downhill ever since . What a sad loss .

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Green Manalishi
                I was very fortunate to see the killer version of Metallica in February of '85 kicking W.A.S.P. and Armoured Saints asses

in a night club and kicking Ozzy's ass very badly in Kiel Auditorium in April of '86 . Cliff was supercool live .

Metallicas music and psyche understandably took a serious hit when he died . Though I really like the original Garage Days

and Justice For All ( they both had remnants of Cliff ) I feel they were never the same and unfortunately crap like the black album

started to rear its ugly head . Its been downhill ever since . What a sad loss .

Spot on. Great post. Garage Days was very cool. It matched the fuck-it-drink-more-beers attitude all us "long hairs" had at the time. $9.99 album..DO NOT PAY MORE! with a Tower Records $11.99 sticker on it. We gave them so much shit & caused a ruckus at the register.

I saw them with Cliff when they opened for Ozzy. But I'm jealous of that WASP / Armored Saint show you saw them at. I can only imagine the testosterone levels of the crowd that night.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

But I'm jealous of that WASP / Armored Saint show you saw them at. I can only imagine the testosterone levels of the crowd that night.
                  I saw that tour when it came to Toronto. They played at The Concert Hall. 800 people maximum. I was down front in front of Hammett. Hetfield pushed him into the audience (on us) . A friend of mine bumped into Hetfield before the show and gave him some hash. He thanked him and told my buddy he didn't toke but his bass player does.
                  He passed it on to cliff... Metallica fuckin Pwn3d the night. But I did enjoy seeing the original Armored Saint and catching WASP on their first tour..

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Het always comes across as a great guy in interviews.
                    At least the ones I saw.

Axl.......not so much.

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chan_bkny
                      Back on topic.

Yeah. We did stray off to Hetfield. But the death of Metallicas & Hetfields "cool" can be directly linked to Cliffs untimely passing.

When they buried Cliff, their mojo went with him.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

uitar. CRAZY!

And James was the coolest motherfucker around during this era.
                        You must mean "coolest in appearance" because anytime I'd bumped into him, he was no gent.

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                          You must mean "coolest in appearance" because anytime I'd bumped into him, he was no gent.

I never got to meet him. Almost did on the Justice tour. My high school coach was the Staff Pro lead guy at concerts. The day after the LA show he gave me some of the unused backstage passes. The San Diego show was the next night. We tried to use them and got past 3 security until one actually looked at the badges we had & walkie-talkie to ask someone what the "color code" for tonight was. FUCK! So close.

So when I say coolest, I'm going off appearance, musical abilities, stage presence, and interviews from the time.

Comment

• SparkieD
                            Veteran
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                            Cliff & Mustaine were Metallica. When Cliff died & with Mustaine long, long gone, Metallica had a few scraps to put together a half decent album & just went downhill from there.

How many more kickass albums could Cliff have released, noone will know, obviously, but I bet he could've managed at the very least a couple more REALLY good ones.

He rocked. Hard. In a band of wet manginas.

Cheers! :bottle:
                            No shit.
                            Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                            Originally posted by rustoffa
                            Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

Working...