X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's funny to think about how many people posting here have now lived longer than he did.
    A head-scratcher, ain't it? For some at this site, 40 years of age is a signpost of old foggiedom. For those close to the age, a humbling marker of the passage of time. For the rest of us, a reminder of what could have been, if only...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I have to say it's starting look less likely that I am going to get an airport named after me.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Or a Stratocaster named after me...

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well at least you got the thongs...

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Not to mention his own church.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
              You know there are a few things in history that have had a big impact on peoples lives. This is one of them for some but not for me.

Heard the news on the radio this morning and I thought back and I can't even really remember anything about it. I guess I would have been 12 or 13 years old at the time. KISS was more important to me then.
              Was about the same age. Grew up listening to Beatles records handed down from various relatives (original Capitol 45's and LP's, which would have been worth some good money these days had I hung on to them), but since I wasn't old enough to remember when the Beatles were an active band it did seem kind of odd to see the amount of media coverage the assassination received...like, why was Lennon so important, etc. KISS was more important to me then as well, truth be told.

Some people seemed to fill up their idea of who John Lennon was with many of their hopes for a better world. From that I suppose people of a certain age felt that when he died some of that hope died with him. At least, these are some of the things that have been said. I think it was as much to do with the manner of death. Lennon didn't OD or die in a plane crash or car accident at the peak of his fame. He was gunned down by some random disturbed nutter who killed him to attain fame for himself. Just a waste, and a bit of a shame since Lennon seemed to be gearing up and heading towards a burst of creativity after several years of inactivity. I mean, there couldn't even be an amount of consolation that at least Lennon was killed for his efforts (effective or not) to highten consciousness on the possibilites for peace...murdered as he was walking towards his home, shot in the back by a warped loser who has now linked his name with Lennon's forever.

People probably do make a bit too much over it, but then again people fawn over celebrities a bit too much for my tastes in general.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...