X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
    I treat KISS like Van Halen. Listen to the shit you like and forget the rest. i.e . Van Halen with Roth. Old original KISS.

P.S. Cold Gin is a kick ass tune.
    I love Cold Gin. I my old frat house days we used to sing "I'm going to go out and get another quart" when we ran out of booze and had to go out on a run.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
      So....what are you wearing when you go on these drunken rants?
      This is a really good question !! I hope the answer is better. Kiss sucks !! They did a fucking disco album for christsake's !! Maybe 5 good tunes. The whole stage show is cool i'll give them that much.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
        Sniper
        • Jan 2006

KISS Alive III? I'd rather listen to real live albums like...

A Little South of Sanity

/end sarcasm
        "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
          Alive III? Your rant is about 18 years too late.

That turd isn't even remotely in my KISS rotation. I'd rather listen to Sonic Boom than that.
          Even limited strictly within the context of other live KISS albums, KISS Alive III is pretty lame.

Yes, KISS Alive and KISS Alive II were subject to quite a bit of post-concert studio overdubbing but they didn't necessarily SOUND like that was the case. KISS Alive III actually sounds in a few spots like the band took the studio recordings from Revenge and just dubbed crowd noise on top of them.

While I can still listen to Alive and Alive II once in awhile and enjoy them, KISS Alive III did zip for me when I heard it years ago. I can't imagine it has gotten any better with age.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

ok...I've been bitching about KI$$ selling out and Chaim Witz being one greedy fuck...but...BUT...as a KI$$ fan you get almost ANYTHING you want...every rare shit...every live recording from tuna fish Alabama to swampwater ahstralia...and a new album every now and then...as a KI$$ fan you can live in Europe, Japan or even in swampwater ashtralia and they will tour somewhere near you and they will give you this (it's worth watching all the 13 parts!!!):

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyhM2MlwhLc?fs=1&amp;hl=de_DE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyhM2MlwhLc?fs=1&amp;hl=de_DE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

and you know what? kudos to that!!!

they were headlining that festival and MANY did go there to see Rammstein and other bands and not KI$$ and just stayed there because they already payed for it. and NO ONE left disappointed...
            Roth Army Icon
            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Mr Badguy
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Don't forget "Alive III" was the turning point where Ki$$ became a nostalgia act.

I think the fact that it bombed might have had something to do with it.
              sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
                Don't forget "Alive III" was the turning point where Ki$$ became a nostalgia act.

I think the fact that it bombed might have had something to do with it.
                All things being equal, the Revenge album that was promoted on what ended up being the Alive III tour was probably the band's best studio album since Creatures, at least to these ears.

If nothing else, Alive III was useful in that by tanking it paved the way for Stanley and Simmons to start working the conventions, which led to the reconciliation with Frehley and Criss. For all the nonsense that has transpired since 2002, in the years 1996 to 2001 KISS were one of the few rock bands that pulled off a proper reunion that mostly lived up to the expectations of their fans.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Look, all it this was is some CD that happened to be lying around. No idea where it came from. I expected this thread to be glossed over if anything. I wasn't out to insult any one of you who may be a fan of KISS but that CD is one steaming pile of shit, okay?

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Well, it certainly doesn't have the playability of the other two "Alive!" albums, that's for sure.

Using Eddie Kramer was probably a mistake, he wasn't a cutting edge producer/engineer by 1992.

Even Bruce Kulick has been quoted as saying that he recorded it all wrong.

I also think using pre "Dynasty" material was a mistake, it took the shine off the new songs (sort of).
                    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      Look, all it this was is some CD that happened to be lying around. No idea where it came from. I expected this thread to be glossed over if anything. I wasn't out to insult any one of you who may be a fan of KISS but that CD is one steaming pile of shit, okay?
                      Well, there's certainly no offense taken, at least not by someone (myself) who was a fairly avid fan of what the band did from 1974 to 1982

KISS Alive III was purty lame.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Listening back on their catalog KISS died in 1978.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Pretty much. I think 77 was their best year. Then they tried to go disco and did that horrible The Elder album.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

They were a powerhouse live. KISS was the first to do the big stages with all the pyro and smoke effects. Nobody was doing it then. Even today their 77 stage looks great.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NK7X2DjxXs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NK7X2DjxXs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Listening back on their catalog KISS died in 1978.
                              I more or less agree.

Dynasty (1979), Unmasked (1980) and Creatures (1982) had several good cuts on each of them, but Love Gun was really their last great start-to-finish album.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Drunken it may have been, but this rant was more interesting than 'Alive III'.
                                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...