Blizzard and Diary Expanded Vinyl in April??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
    Yeah. G.T.R. was simply remixed with the bass, drums,keys and distorted electrics pulled out of the mix. Goes to show what a beautiful arrangement and melody the song has.
    And the audio for the After Hours footage sounds like dual mono with EQ enhancements. (I could be wrong...)

Can't wait for this thing to be torrented....
    The GTR remix actually also illustrates just how much MORE was going on with Randy's tracks than you can hear in the original versions. And did you hear the isolated tracks of "DOAM" that they teased? AMAZING. That guy had depth most guitarists could never hope to attain.

The Lemmy quote about RR "getting better after he died" kind of annoyed me. Sure, he achieved martyrdom posthumously. Having seen the dude live I respectfully disagree that anyone is overstating his abilities...those two CDs only hint at what he was capable of. His live solo was even more jaw-dropping than the version on "Tribute"...I remember being in awe, and thinking "This is like 'Eruption' times 10."
    Last edited by jhale667; 05-31-2011, 10:57 AM.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Jagermeister
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jhale667
      I'm sure DJ or another set of guitar-ears could back me up here, but I honestly don't think that was overdubbed so much as re-mixed, dude. And certainly if they tried to re-record any of Randy's parts every guitar player worth a shit on the planet would be able to tell. And I've already read somewhere that GTR (which you hear a bit of in the VH1 special) is just a different mix of Randy's guitar tracks (obviously pumped up more prominently) and Ozzy's voice.

I mean, of course they had to re-master/remix the "After Hours" footage for the DVD, so it stands to reason it's going to sound different, but to my ears so far it's the same performance...

I have to agree with FORD on this one. Not only is the video better quality it's different. In the first video after the, opening riff, you can see Randy's right hand playing the main riff and it looks a bit out of time to me. I attribute this to maybe a delay effect Randy was playing through. In the second video you can't see his hand. I also think the vocals in number 2 are different. Everyone who has heard these know Ozzy fucked up a couple of times and in general the vocals were not perfect. Which is great because you kinow it's live.

I need to give number 2 a more detailed listen and compare it to my copy at home. I think they should have just cleaned up the video quality and left the rest alone.

Comment

• Jagermeister
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

PS. I don't know what that was on VH1 but I don't think it was the full dvd.

This new Thirty Years After The Blizzard DVD chronicles Ozzy's years with Randy Rhoads and features previously unseen footage of Ozzy and Randy filmed in 1981 & 1982; it incorporates rare archival photos and films; along with new and revelatory interviews with Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, Lemmy (Motörhead), Steve Vai, Nikki Sixx, Rob Halford, Zakk Wylde, Bill Ward and more. The DVD also contains over 70 minutes of additional rare live performances and interviews; included is the premiere of more than 30 minutes of newly-discovered never-bootlegged footage of Ozzy and Randy from the Blizzard of Ozz tour shot from the front of the stage at New York's fabled Palladium on May 2, 1981. This new feature is a must-see for aficionados of Ozzy's epic release, Blizzard of Ozz and its pivotal effect on rock & roll history.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

The biggest failure in Ozzy's career was failing to choke Sharon to death.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
            Yeah. G.T.R. was simply remixed with the bass, drums,keys and distorted electrics pulled out of the mix. Goes to show what a beautiful arrangement and melody the song has.
            And the audio for the After Hours footage sounds like dual mono with EQ enhancements. (I could be wrong...)

Can't wait for this thing to be torrented....
            After they tampered with 2 classic recordings over a disagreement, I don't blame you a bit.

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I just ordered my delux box set from the local record store. $157.99 should be in tomorrow. Dude was like ohhhh we don't have that it's a huge box set but we can order it for you. So I was like let me call you back. Called the guy back to tell him to order it and he said they already did.

Great b-day present for me. Now I have to go home and hook up my turntable and shit so I can spin it.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                I have to agree with FORD on this one. Not only is the video better quality it's different. In the first video after the, opening riff, you can see Randy's right hand playing the main riff and it looks a bit out of time to me. I attribute this to maybe a delay effect Randy was playing through. In the second video you can't see his hand. I also think the vocals in number 2 are different. Everyone who has heard these know Ozzy fucked up a couple of times and in general the vocals were not perfect. Which is great because you kinow it's live.

I need to give number 2 a more detailed listen and compare it to my copy at home. I think they should have just cleaned up the video quality and left the rest alone.

It appears to be "better quality" because it's been remastered...hello....it would have to be for a DVD release, and since it was shot for a TV show, you're talking a minimum 3 to 4 cameras, so I'd imagine they got ALL the original tapes and recut the footage to incorporate more angles/views of Randy, Rudy and Tommy playing. I actually think that part is cool.

I remember Rudy telling me they thought it was totally cheesy when they did it, and were basically goofing on each other, which is why Randy looks like he's trying to keep from laughing in a lot of those shots....he was!
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I would guess that Randy's part was pretty much left intact, but Ozzy's vocal was definitely overdubbed, and I think the bass part has been "augmented" as well, which would likely mean that somebody other than Rudy Sarzo is playing it, since I don't think they would bring him in to do overdubs.

I just hate it when they fuck with this stuff. It would be one thing if they "cleaned up" the sound and released this on video in 1982. Still a little dishonest, but hardly unheard of in the music industry. But to alter a 30 year old recording is just criminal.

Of course it's not only Ozzy and Sharon who are guilty of this. Even U2 has "embellished" some of the stuff in the "bonus" material on their recent remasters, and that shit pissed me off too.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jhale667
                    It appears I remember Rudy telling me they thought it was totally cheesy when they did it, and were basically goofing on each other, which is why Randy looks like he's trying to keep from laughing in a lot of those shots....he was!
                    I thought Rudy just looked like that.

Anyway I will do a more indepth review once I get my box set tomorrow and watch the footage. Which is the best any of us has to date of Randy playing this material live IMO. Very exciting. I could really care less what they did to the bass line or drums as long as they didn't fuck with Randy that's all that matters. This really is a must have for any real Rhodes fans regardless.

PS I will not torrent this but may do some other creative means of distribute.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

I'm curious as to how they're going to cover Ozzy's "you gotta listen to my words" voice crack. (2:57 on ford's exhibit A)_
                      I think it all should be left in; people realize that humans don't nail everything every time.

We just need video of Kerslake nailing the beginning of Little Dolls !

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                        I'm curious as to how they're going to cover Ozzy's "you gotta listen to my words" voice crack. (2:57 on ford's exhibit A)_
                        I think it all should be left in; people realize that humans don't nail everything every time.

Yeah, they shouldn't alter it (still don't think they did), but I'm all for a better mix of the original tracks, which to me (until I get the set myself and really dissect it, at least) sounds like what the "After Hours" remaster is. What I thought was interesting was when in the VH1 doc Ozzy and Churko were listening to GTR and Ozzy points out - and more surprisingly HITS singing along- the really high harmony vocal overdub. Didn't think he could still hit those notes, but he did there...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills

Exactly.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

well I'm looking forward to what you guys report about this.

I was also glad to see that others know that there were better performances than what came out on the Tribute set. The King Biscuit stuff that we got from the radio in the early 80's were better performances and it's just a shame that some of randy's best "goose bump" material didn't get released like it deserved to.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Most of the stuff I have read today suggest that only die hard fans need buy the box set. Personally if I was just looking for a piece of it I would want the vinyl only.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                The biggest failure in Ozzy's career was failing to choke Sharon to death.
                                He would probably be out by now.

Comment

Working...