Rolling Stone fucks up another list: GREEN DAY "Best Punk Rock Band of All Time" ??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Rolling Stone fucks up another list: GREEN DAY "Best Punk Rock Band of All Time" ??

I don't hate Green Day. I have several of their albums, and I thought "American Idiot" was a fucking genius record. But I also saw them live on that tour, and these guys ain't no punk rock band anymore. Yeah, that's their roots, and certainly the other bands on this list were their influences, but do they deserved to be ranked WITH them?

FORD says NO!

Here's the rest of the list.....

1) Green Day
    2) The Clash
    3) Ramones
    4) Sex Pistols
    5) Dead Kennedys
    6) Iggy & The Stooges
    7) Black Flag
    8) Misfits
    9) Social Distortion
    10) Bad Brains

It's a pretty goddamn solid list otherwise, I'll have to admit. Not sure I would rank them exactly the same, but I would include all in my list.

Link
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Dan
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

That List Is BullShit.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

The best punk rock band was The Ramones. They invented it, the British copied the Ramones and did their own thng with it and sold it back to us. The Brit punk being angrier and more in your face.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

I don't think that Green Day would agree with their being no.1 in that poll. I'd actually think Rancid are more deserving of a place on that list.

Bad Brains should be way higher.........
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The best punk rock band was The Ramones. They invented it, the British copied the Ramones and did their own thng with it and sold it back to us. The Brit punk being angrier and more in your face.
          It was easy to be angry over here in the late 70s and 80s...

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Well, I'll expect a punk revival imminently then....
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Wow, that really does seem goofy... GD opened the door for the faux-punk movement that brought us gems like blink 128 and other bands with numbers in their names.
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Green Day followed the Metallica blueprints for success. They tweaked their music style more & more to make more & more cash and have more people listen to the music. Hard to blame either band all that much. I like money too and can't say with 100% accuracy that I would turn down truck loads of it just to stay true to my roots.

Fuck my roots...I want a beach house!

As far as that list, you can't really have a "best" list since music is subjective and each listener hears it differently. Most influential? Sure. That would have been a better list to have. And since Green Day is the most recent of all those bands there is no way they were at all influential to the punk movement.

This is just RS pandering to the new generation of music listeners and exposing them to their magazine.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I still say "Kerplunk" was Green Day's best album BTW.....

They busted that song out at the Tacoma Dome show on the American Idiot tour. It was funny to watch all the goddamn trendies in the building scratch their heads and ask themselves "is this a new song??"
                  Last edited by FORD; 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And possibly their best song ever......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

I have a soft spot for 'Time Of Your Life' just because of the Seinfeld relation. I miss that show.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            It was easy to be angry over here in the late 70s and 80s...
                            Yeah I got a little taste of that anger. We went to Italy we were in Rome, Italy wins the world cup, one big party. Then we go through mainland Europe. No anger. Just people doing their thing. What I found odd is there were no young people. Very few teenagers but that worked to my advantage because all the old kid starved people that ran the bakeries and pastry shops gave me anything I wanted. No shit. In Vienna I got free pastries just because I was a kid. I even got treated well in Paris but then my older sisters were good looking and the horny French waiters were trying to get in good with the family. So I got everything I wanted from them.

Then we land in London and it's a complete different world. More teens and they were angry. I was the late 70's and the British punk scene was in full swing. It was quite the freak show.
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

The list should be
                              1. Ramones
                              2. Everyone else.

Fuck Rolling Stone
                              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

Working...