U2 enters the "megadeluxe remaster sweepstakes" with 20th Anniversary of Achtung Baby

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Y'all have heard Ry Cooder, even if you didn't know it was him. Like on slide guitar here, for example...
    He's the same guy that did 99% of the guitar work for the Crossroads movie, save for the ending set piece of Ralph Macchio VS The Devil's Pet, which was performed on both sides by Steve Vai.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I've seen Ry play live every time he has come to town (Cootercaster and all) and he has never failed to disappoint. I'm just no longer sure Ry knows his identity anymore between his stints with Little Village, Manuel Galban, Ali Farke Toure, Buena Vista Social Club and now back with Jim Keltner (of Little Village fame). I have not heard his wiork with Luz Casal, but it is supposed to be something spectacular...eh, I'm not really into Bossa/Samba unless it's Stan Getz or Jobim (or Getz with Jobim). I know it's becoming more and more rare but I like Ry when he simply just being...Ry. I did pick up his latest - Pull Up Some Dust...' where he has reverted back to his more acoustic/stripped down bluesy playing but I'm still not sure what to make of it. 'John Lee Hooker For President' sounds too silly to be taken seriously.

Ry has always been the ...how can I phrase it..? Like the advocate for the common man who, like what Johnny Cash once did, knew the plight of those who have got a raw deal and live in the bargain basement of life. His slow, watery like a lazy flowing river slide blues playing speaks to me in that he knows what it is like to be abandoned, hungry, alone and frightened with nothing but yourself to turn to. Of course, he has some humorous and cynical tunes like 'Every Woman Is Crazy About An Automobile' and his bleak outlook of the L.A. lifestyle of 'Down In Hollywood' have always been crowd favorites. Ry is one of those rare guitar players much like say, Robben Ford who thinks before playing a note; no fucking wonder his followers like Sonny Landreth can't thank him enough. I cannot stand guitar players who are just loud and feel as if they have to toss in a solo right between every god damn word. Still, this is my all-time fav YouGoob performances by him. He did perform this when I saw him about 4 years ago (although nowhere near as good as this). I can't remember who said it exactly but I think it was Pete Townshend who said "music won't help you to forget your problems, but it will help you to dance all over them" (bad paraphrase) and this is one of those moments where you grab a stranger and forget your own pain in your own corner of the world for a while and that you are, good or bad, not alone. Not many musicians can pull that off like Ry can. So fuck you.

Comment

• So this is love
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Stop looking at me like that Kristy...
        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Blow me, dufus.

Comment

• Etienne
            Commando
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kristy
            Robben Ford who thinks before playing a note
            Do you like the Yellow Jackets project with him, Kristy?

Robben Ford is a very tasteful guitarist.

Larry Carlton, one of my favorite guitarists, is similar.

Comment

• Etienne
              Commando
              • Aug 2010

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
                Do you like the Yellow Jackets project with him, Kristy?

Robben Ford is a very tasteful guitarist.

Larry Carlton, one of my favorite guitarists, is similar.
                I recently bought 'Free As The Wind' which I guess was Carlton's last stint with The Crusaders before leaving to make a somewhat decent living doing Steely Dan sessions.

I've been slowly collecting The Crusaders 70's work and have to say, this is probably Carlton's best playing I've heard - especially 'Nite Crawler' Much of his post-Steely Dan solo work sounds textually like Steely Dan. Nowadays, he bores me.

Comment

Working...