X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Appetite For Destruction
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by sadaist
      Yeah. there IS a difference. Hmmm. What about Supertramp & Breakfast In America? I hate to toss them in here because that is some of the most classic rock ever. But.....if it fits, it fits.
      Not sure that works. I think Supertramp's overall body of work disqualifies them. Even if "Breakfast In America" was the only thing they ever did, it had so many hits on it that they wouldn't qualify for this thread.

Just an opinion....
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by mohican
        Top on this list is Bon Jovi for me. I know some will disagree. They have 2 catchy songs from Slippery When Wet.
        That they never wrote.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

My definition of "doing a lot with a little" is a band like Poison. (Apologies if they've already been mentioned, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts...)

Poison really sucked in terms of musicianship (personal opinion), but they managed to craft an image and garner a following with music that was ultimately forgettable and subpar.

And they're still able to do it today, even though they've become more of an 80's nostalgia act than anything else...
          Originally posted by perilouspete
          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's a bit harsh but at every Queensryche show the whole atmosphere with the crowd changes when they do the Operation Mindcrime album which is what everyone is there to hear.

They have had to deal with that and how to present it again and again for 25 years now.

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's a bit harsh but at every Queensryche show the whole atmosphere with the crowd changes when they do the Operation Mindcrime album which is what everyone is there to hear.

They have had to deal with that and how to present it again and again for 25 years now.
              Yeah thats a shame as their first 3 albums were cool....
              I think "Rage for Order" was really good. Havent taken that for a spin in a long time
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

"The Knack" ??

Although Im not sure they still tour.....

What about Jerry Lee Lewis, I could be out of line here but
                I think he has made a career out of "Great Balls of Fire"
                yet I know he is way more diverse than that.

Chuck Berry and 12 bar Blues ?
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Yount
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2012

The Knack had a follow up single Baby Talks Dirty which sounded pretty close to My Sharona.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I remember reading at the time it was a hit Europe would open and close with 'The Final Countdown'.

I met a guy in his 20s recently who said Europe were his favourite band and I burst out laughing. He looked a bit offended and I guess it was rude of me. He was hardly even born when they were widely considered a cheesy joke novelty act and so to him were totally credible with a bunch of later albums that very few of us will have heard.

Comment

• Yount
                      Commando
                      • Jan 2012

I still maintain Europe started well... until they lost John Norum and Tony Reno. After that it seemed like the Joey Tempest show, and his voice was WAY more technically correct than Hagar!! In fact it was too good, and that just shitted me. Like it became about his golden throat instead of the songs.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                        I think we're starting to confuse the notion of "making a lot with a little" with the phenomena of "one hit wonders"....
                        You may be right, but I'm sticking with Pilot. Fucking Pilot.

Comment

• fourthcoming

How bout a band that made the least from the most? Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers could have been bigger if they weren't a bunch of junkies. And definitely GNR turned from Gold to Garbage pretty quick.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                            "The Knack" ??

Although Im not sure they still tour.....
                            Guess maybe the bad news didn't reach Australia, but The Knack won't be touring anymore, because Doug Fieger lost a long battle with brain & lung cancer nearly 2 years ago (February 14, 2010)

The original drummer Bruce Gary also passed away from lymphoma in 2005, though they were already touring with other drummers (including Terry Bozzio and Pat Torpey from Mr. Big) by then anyway, but I don't see them attempting to carry on the band without Fieger, and would lose any respect I had for them if they did.

Thing is though, The Knack didn't really deserve to be tagged with the "one hit wonder"/"flash in the pan" labels, because they were really damn good musicians. "Get The Knack" remains one of my favorite records of all time, but they did some good stuff after that too. Their 1991 "reunion" album "Serious Fun" was highly underrated.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• SparkieD
                              Veteran
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                              My definition of "doing a lot with a little" is a band like Poison. (Apologies if they've already been mentioned, but I'm too lazy to read all the posts...)

Poison really sucked in terms of musicianship (personal opinion), but they managed to craft an image and garner a following with music that was ultimately forgettable and subpar.

And they're still able to do it today, even though they've become more of an 80's nostalgia act than anything else...
                              First band that came to mind when I read the title of this thread. How those fuckers ever had one iota of success is beyond me. I can't believe chicks dig Brett? WTF, man? I think a few of you here know how I feel about that fish-lipped motherfucker! I hate him worse than I hate Sammy.
                              Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                              Originally posted by rustoffa
                              Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                I remember reading at the time it was a hit Europe would open and close with 'The Final Countdown'.

100% true. Saw then open for Def Leppard way back when. Good news, I found $40 on the ground in line for beers. And that's the top story & memory I have from that show.
                                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...