X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
    and I even enjoyed hearing Garth Brooks' take on Hard Luck Woman.
    Backed by the boys themselves, no less....

....still say they should have done it in makeup. Garth could have used the design from his album cover......

Last edited by FORD; 02-19-2012, 04:01 AM.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Grant
      Sniper
      • Feb 2005

The other day I was getting a hair cut, and over the radio came 'Oops, I Did It Again!'...I honestly thought that song had been dead, buried, cremated. Made for a very angry experience having to stomach that all over again...

Any of the pop crap of same calibre that came out in 2000s would be very liberating never having to hear again...no more Black Eyed Peas...no more Pussycat Dolls...no more Beyonce...

Ah, the serenity...

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Smoke on the water.I worked in a music store and the amount of guys would walk in who are new to guitar and sit down and play that god damn riff
        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• gbranton
          Veteran
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by FORD
          Backed by the boys themselves, no less....

....still say they should have done it in makeup. Garth could have used the design from his album cover......
          I remember reading about Gene and Paul flying to Memphis to record that. You can listen to the background vocals and clearly hear that it is them. I have always enjoyed listening to the backing vocals on the old KISS albums, you can really hear Gene and Paul's voices backing each other up.
          "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Unchainme
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Grant
            The other day I was getting a hair cut, and over the radio came 'Oops, I Did It Again!'...I honestly thought that song had been dead, buried, cremated. Made for a very angry experience having to stomach that all over again...

Any of the pop crap of same calibre that came out in 2000s would be very liberating never having to hear again...no more Black Eyed Peas...no more Pussycat Dolls...no more Beyonce...

Ah, the serenity...
            Going to cross post this from another forum I frequent on the past decade, and 1999 in particular.

1999 was just a terrible year for music.

The internet was in it's infancy so there really wasn't a "Black Keys" band that would get buzz, and MTV had begun to devolve into a reality show oriented network, the only outlets available to listen to new music were pretty heavily controlled. Radio had shifted from some average DJ playing a new record on the air, to whichever group "ClearChannel" chose to promote. MTV? Same. Gone were the days when you'd have a chance to see a group like Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, or Radiohead break in with a great song and video combo, we were now devolved to the lowest common denominator. If you didn't look like a model for Abercrombie or Sean John you were not getting airplay.

Pop? The Michael Jacksons and Madonna's who had dominated the past 20 years were now beginning to fade, leaving in it's wake a new crop of stars like Britney, Christina, The Backstreet Boys and N*Sync. Unlike again, the pop songs of the aforementioned 20 years, these seemed to have very little staying power, and you can't listen to any of them without cringing.

Hip-Hop? 2pac and Biggie dying the year before REALLY killed off the golden age of hip-hop, of which it's really still trying to recover from. By now, Bone-Thugz-N-Harmony were beginning to fade from the mainstream. Eminem was about a year or two away. We're not subjected to Puff Daddy/P Diddy/Diddy consistently using Biggie to stay in the limelight

Country? About now Nashville is pretty much becoming pretty pop. I'm not saying that the Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton's of the 70's and 80's wern't, but this was the beginning of the music genre trying to position itself to be popular with the Middle-america Middle Class/Lower Class 18-34 demo again that it hadn't really had back in the day. I can bet money, that a lot of those involved in "Country" acts from this time period on up, were really dreaming of becoming rock stars, and when that genre soon found itself dying out, they picked up an acoustic guitar and some dip and went to town.

Mainstream Rock? Really weak at the moment. I enjoyed the GooGoo Dolls, No Doubt and a bit of the Foo Fighters, but none of these really were great as the groups that existed in the earlier half of the decade. Also this was the beginning of the dreaded, terrible awful "Adult Contemporary/Adult Alternative" movement that still plagues us today.

Hard Rock? Guns N' Roses broke up in '94, Cobain killing himself (or murdererd if you prefer the conspiracy theory) had really halted the Alternative movement which was truly amazing to have seen happened. Aerosmith had just now started to go pop and sell out a bit. Van Halen? After Sammy Hagar leading them to mediocrity, and a 2 minute reunion with Dave on stage at the VMA's in '96, they came back with one of there worst albums with Gary Cherone in "Van Halen 3". This was also the beginnings of that terrible pseudo-punk rock movement which was started by Green Day and The Offspring, and which led us to having "Blink 182" and "Simple Plan" being labeled as such. By the way, quick rant here? Travis Barker sucks. I am tired of people labeling him as a great drummer, dude ain't got shit on Alex Van Halen, Tommy Lee, Buddy Rich, John Bonham or Neil Fucking Peart, so..please..shut up!

Electronic? Sadly very much overlooked. There was a lot of buzz for Daft Punk, The Crystal Method, Chemical Bros., Fatboy Slim and The Prodigy, but MTV seemed not to interested in the whole movement all that much. To me? they really missed on a great opportunity to breathe some fresh air into the industry that was sorely needing it at the time. Some of the videos made by these groups were amazing too, and even on the show "12 angry viewers" which featured actual MTV viewers picking out what videos to place in rotations, often times these sorts of groups would win! Alas, MTV didn't see it that way, and it's just now slowly starting to understand this.
            Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Golden AWe
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

"Unforgiven" and the street player version of "Tears in Heaven" or "Stairway to heaven" come to my mind...same with "Wonderwall". FUCK!
              Originally posted by Cato
              Golden, why are you FAT?
              Originally posted by lesfunk
              Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
              http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                Head Fluffer
                • Feb 2007

Can't stand Dream On.....

Comment

• Little Texan
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Crazy Train, Cult of Personality, and the same two or three songs from each band that they play every single fucking day in the same order on these classic rock stations!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah the one that's been bugging me on Classic Rock radio recently is Whitesnake's version of 'Ain't no love in the heart of the city'.

I have no idea what the appeal of that song is.

It only has one melody for both the verse and chorus and its not a good melody.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Frampton - Baby I love your Way
                      Bad Company - Feel Like Making Love
                      Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
                      Doobie Brothers - Black Water
                      Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

I could go on but these songs make me want to shoot my radio
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Sweet Irony
                        She's the Woman
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

UGH......RADAR LOVE.....ugh
                        ...livin in the online VH world for 19 years....thanks to a 2 year old.....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

The Classic Rock Radio Illuminati seem to have decided this is the Def Leppard song and we all need to listen to pop rock 'Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man' once a fucking hour...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Sweet Irony
                            UGH......RADAR LOVE.....ugh
                            Unless it's the White Lion version...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Although strictly speaking the video should end with cops opening the door to the gents toilet in the bar and being crushed under a ton of hair products...
                              Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-21-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• nitroDave23
                                Roadie
                                • Jan 2012

Born In The USA.....

Fuck does that get OLD.

Comment

Working...