THE WHO ANNOUNCE North American TOUR.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I guess John played so loud and refused to turn down it drove Roger Daltry nuts. He coudln't hear himself sing. Pete told Roger well we are the Who you know. We are a rock and roll band. We are suppossed to be loud. The Pete grinned and said, I always could hear John. Never had a problem hearing the bass.

John liked fuzzed out bass with articulation. What's funny is I like that too but I had no idea what John had in his rig but one day I stumbled upon an article on John's rig. It was huge but really he was using a lot of the same stuff I have in my rack because I was chasing the same thing I guess. Then you add in the power amps and it's really fun to push it so loud that the sound wave from the cabs moves the bass strings and it gets a sweet spot going that the bass almost plays itself. Fun as hell but it's really loud.

My bass has low impedance pickups and I run things pretty hot. When people play my rig they can't believe how on the edge it is. My bother in law plays bass and he played my stuff and went holy shit that's scary!
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-05-2012, 02:25 AM.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      Pete once said John Entwistle was really the lead guitarist for The Who and he just backed John up.
      So true. John was a beast. A guy I know stood on the side of the stage for a show on their farewell tour (that's a laugh !) and said he couldn't keep his eye's of John. He had worked for a few band like the Scorps & even VH, & never got caught up in watching just one guy through a whole show like that before.

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

My fav image of the who... no thread should be without it and and very poignant when moon grabs townsend from a top of the kit...

This pretty much sums up what i like about rock n roll.
        energy passion commitment and a slice of fuck it attitude washed down with a bucket of this is meant to be enjoyed.
        Last edited by vandeleur; 08-05-2012, 08:04 AM.
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• katina
          Commando
          • Mar 2012

Keith and John, delightful and funny moment, from a 1969 show

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

I had never seen that ... Class

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Good stuff - I liked Townshend's intro: 'And here is Keith Moon, singing ... with a small "s"'
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
                Veteran
                • Jul 2009

We should have a Keith Moon thread, actually. I've posted a few things here over the last few years.

The best rock'n'roll film ever, I reckon, is The Who's 'The Kids Are Alright'. One of the best moments in that movie is Townshend recounting meeting Moon for the very first time after a High Numbers gig.

Here is this little guy who comes out of nowhere, Townshend says, dressed from head to toe in a ginger outfit and ... he's drinking a glass of ginger beer, with a straw ... He comes up at the end of the gig, this ginger apparition, and says 'Your drummer is rubbish ...'

And that, as they say, was it.
                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I don't know if I've posted this before, but apparently Kieth Moon was staying next to Steve McQueen during "The Great Escape" era, and dressed up in a German Army uniform, and goose-stepped in front of the house McQueen stayed at...

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

in the moon book dear boy , they had adjacent beach houses and at some party he wore the costume and proceeded to bite mcqueens dog
                    Last edited by vandeleur; 08-06-2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Jack68
                      Commando
                      • Sep 2004

Still one of my favorite parts from The kids are alright.
                      "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• katina
                        Commando
                        • Mar 2012

Keith liked to dress up in a german uniform, among other customes, Nun, Queen, Pope.....

Steve and Keith were neighbours, living at the Malibu area; Keith drove McQueen nuts.
                        I read that Steve´s 3rd. wife Barbara, wrote in her book about Keith.....
                        She recalls the night McQueen got so sick of bright lights from Moon's residence shining into his bedroom that he got up, grabbed a shotgun and blasted a huge hole in Moon's offending stained-glass window. He marched back to his house, put away the gun and cracked open a can of his beloved Old Milwaukee beer.
                        Steve thought for sure the cops were coming, but they heard not a word about it......

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Pete Townsend said Keith Moon was a drug addict, a sex addict, an alcoholic and a damn fine drummer.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VHscraps
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Jack68

Still one of my favorite parts from The kids are alright.
                            I love that clip. A linked clip on youtube was this - Moon accepting an award on behalf of The Beatles:

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Jack68
                              Commando
                              • Sep 2004

Last time i got to see Entwistle.
                              "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• loucap81
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Apr 2012

At least the prices are pretty reasonable for big band standards. Cheapest is $50 including fees for Atlantic City, which isn't bad. You have to figure there will be below face value ones on StubHub as the show approaches so if you just want a get-in (which is what I would want for a band I'm a casual fan of like this), you can do it cheaply.

Other than the absolute biggest bands that sell out every single show, there's no need to go crazy buying a ticket in advance if you just want a get-in. Getting good seats can be a little tricky depending on the markets, but cheapo deals can almost always be had at the last minute.

Comment

Working...