X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbranton
    Veteran
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
    Think I saw the pic you're talking about in a post on his Facebook apologizing about the show cancellation, and how bummed he was but he understood that it was too dangerous to play for both the band and the audience. Then he said something that was pretty funny: "Mostly I'm upset because I was having an excellent hair day, and I couldn't wait to share my flaxen locks with all of you."
    Yeah, that was funny, but the picture in question was taken of a trooper pretending to handcuff him. I was standing a few feet away and it made me think of the fake DLR "arrest" footage in Panama.

As for a Skid Row reunion, I got the same impression, that only one person is holding up the whole thing. I too have seen SR with Johnny Solinger a couple of times and the band is still exceptionally tight.

I have seen Levin with Dokken as well and that dude can effin PLAY.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• gbranton
      Veteran
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by gbranton
      LOL, he was actually pretty cool. Not overbearing or as gregarious as I expected, kind of quiet and spent a lot of time texting/Tweeting. Generally had a good sense of humor, posed for a funny pic with some state troopers I'll post a link to when I find it. The troopers loved him. He kept saying "Duuuude it's time to rock man".
      Just got home. Didn't want to ask for a picture and look like a fan, I want to get invited to do the backstage thing again, so I snuck one.

"Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• 78/84 guy
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by lesfunk
        "Masterpiece" my Ass. Van Halen had already made their masterpiece. It's called Fair Warning.

hagar really thinks his shit is "intellectual"... VH's version of pretty woman is more intellectual than anything that fuckhead ever shat out of his mouth
        Thank you ! Gee how about 1984 ! Over 10 million sold. Panama, Teacher, Girl Gone Bad & even Jump. That might have really been the real VH masterpiece ! F.U.C.K. is a masterpiece of shit ! I can handle some Van Hagar but other than the heavy bass sound on it that I liked, the band is in a rut big time ! And I'm not even talking about Sam's lamest lyric's he ever wrote. Spanked ? Man On A Mission ? LAME ! In & Out makes Dave's lyrics on Everybody Want's Some look BRILLIANT ! The only good songs on it are Judgement Day & Dream Is Over.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Yount
          http://number1albums.com/2008/07/10/...ly-6-1991.aspx

"...For once, we were going to get together as a band and work hard."

...Song by song, each song was pretty good, but no one was there to beat me up on the lyrics, so I just sang the first thing I wrote."
          Hagar is so fucking dumb he can't keep his bullshit together for 3 sentences.

Whoever edited his book of lies must have had a hell of a time...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I wish I was there to beat him up over his lyrics...

Comment

• So this is love
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
              Thank you ! Gee how about 1984 ! Over 10 million sold. Panama, Teacher, Girl Gone Bad & even Jump. That might have really been the real VH masterpiece ! F.U.C.K. is a masterpiece of shit ! I can handle some Van Hagar but other than the heavy bass sound on it that I liked, the band is in a rut big time ! And I'm not even talking about Sam's lamest lyric's he ever wrote. Spanked ? Man On A Mission ? LAME ! In & Out makes Dave's lyrics on Everybody Want's Some look BRILLIANT ! The only good songs on it are Judgement Day & Dream Is Over.
              Spammy's voice gives me a headache....it's cheap beer to me
              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Yount
                Commando
                • Jan 2012

Alright a bot'l o red dead and i'm hearing FUCK

Poundcake - 6.5/10 - Let me on that... Solid opener that goes for too long. Too many choruses of "She's home grown and down home" for me. VH used to be to the point. Not on this one.
                Judgment day - 9/10 - One little fault. The scream after the solo and before the repeated chorus. Typifies Sammy in a way. But I like this tune.
                Spanked - 7.5/10 - The whoahohohoh and the chorus are again grating to the ears. The intro is very nice and the lyrics hang you in for a while 'til it becomes painfully obvious what he's singing about. Boring.
                Runaround - 7.5/10 - Great pre from Sammy, with Ed and boys working some magic in the background. But the riff and chorus are boring. This song should have been 3.30 instead of 4:30.
                Pleasuredome - 9/10 - God I get sick of those vocs. Lost, lost, lost.... his lyrics to this song. I loved the jam before the solo they used to do live. I'll give Sammy respect for staying out of this song as much as possible. A little IS enough. Great jam though.
                In 'n' out/ man on a mission - 5.5/10 Ah, the filler starts. These songs are the same. Average.
                The dream is over - 6/10 - C'mon Van Halen fans, wake up!
                Right now - 7/10 - A guy who sits in his mansion in Hawaii doing blow for most the 80's with the odd tour here and there should not send a message with his music. Ed too. I hated the "serious Edward Van Halen musician" crap that the Hagar years represented. The song and album are missing balls.
                316 - 9.5/10 - Pretty nice innit?
                Top of the world - 9/10 - Great solo, good song. A lot of subtle references here (my fave muse.) At least Hagar could admit he was on Easy Street and that is why this song is ok for me. Toes in the sand, 'til the self-aggrandized chorus with lyrics only Dave could pull off (Just like paradise.)

Those ratings are nice and generous. But Ed and Al are just amazing. One of the few combos that can withstand a change of vocs. Sammy would never have lasted with anyone else, he would have been buried in '85.
                ---------------------------
                A retrospective review by Allmusic's Stephen Thomas Erlewine was still mixed. He stated that the title "indicates the true nature of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge [...] Backing away from the diversity of OU812, the band turns in some of the most basic, straightforward rock & roll of its career." However, he also stated that it was "undeniable that [Sammy Hagar's] limited vocal power had a great deal to do with the obvious nature of most of this music." He concluded that, even though the band continued to be tight and professional, the songwriting "is, by and large, undistinguished, with the anthemic 'Right Now' standing out as the most memorable song of the batch, mainly because of its incessant chorus.
                ---------------------------
                Watch this!!

Comment

Working...