• Aug 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
    Surely you can't be serious.
    Nevermind, enjoy your Zep.

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

exactly.................

And Hey! No Puffy Daddy Diddy Do Wha Diddy!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

I don't believe this...the entire first DVD disc is up and available (as of 1:58PM, EST) at Youtube.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
          I don't believe this...the entire first DVD disc is up and available (as of 1:58PM, EST) at Youtube.
          "Sign of the Times"

I too busy lookin' for easter eggs!!!

Great DVD....obviously they show their age...ALL of em'....but, it is what it is.......

Much like VAN HALEN..............enjoy the fact that they are out playing that GRATE music we love...........they'll be gone soon enough........................

And if I hear ONE more cork-sucker complain aboot DAVE's vocals......PLANT doesn't even bother trying to be the old screecher of old...that ship sailed decades ago....Jimmy & John Paul probably have arthritis........still, they flash the old "Hammer of the Gods"

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Kristy
            Nevermind, enjoy your Zep.
            I find it had to believe you mean that ! Lol. Blu-Ray looks fantastic. Sounds better. If it's the last time they play they did it right.

Comment

• ODShowtime
              ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Man this sounds badass on bluray. What a great day for Led Zeppelin fans. Just seeing the old Les Paul up close in such high definition is stunning.
              gnaw on it

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

I had a VERY long car journey today and ended up cranking 'Remasters' for hours on end.

Man, there's so much stuff you forget about - 'Achilles Last Stand' is utterly remarkable.....
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                  I had a VERY long car journey today and ended up cranking 'Remasters' for hours on end.

Man, there's so much stuff you forget about - 'Achilles Last Stand' is utterly remarkable.....
                  Probably the best song they wrote. Kashmir is close. The version from is show is killer.

Comment

• chi-town324
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Feb 2007

watched it yesterday, and was stunned how good they sounded especially Plant...if you didn't know who was on drums you would have thought it was bonzo himself instead of the kid....well done

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

Funny you say that. I listened too the cd's yesterday and thought this could be from the 80 tour we didn't get.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

I dunno...I bought this thing Wednesday (two cds I'll never play, in order to get a DVD, swell deal ) and have watched it in increments.

What really strikes me the most is the whole "Wizard Of Oz" production quality of the damned thing. It's like they took and used as many camera angles possible in order to confuse your brain into believing you are seeing something truly magnificent, all the while making you wonder who the guy was beyond the curtain running things. And it certainly ain't the drummer. Jason Bonham's thudding noise simply doesn't have the lilt and swing of his father, and some of the tunes really suffer for all of his bashing and plodding. I found myself waiting for drum fills that never arrived, and feeling disoriented (let alone disappointed) at the same time.

And what is up with the ectoplasmic sludge covering Page's guitar on some of these tracks? Crap, I could have done a better mixing job myself using my cheap-assed Peavey modeling amp. (At least I can dial up the effects for Live At The Albert Hall 1970 easily enough.)

Honestly, this thing seems to be so much smoke and mirrors more than anything else. I felt the same way when I first viewed and heard the results five years ago, and the extensive repackaging/modifications made here have not changed my opinion all that much.

As a grand, final summation statement in testimony of a once great band, I truly feel the effort was unnecessary. People already had their boxed sets and DVDs, along with their memories. To me, this was an anticlimactic exercise, an ego-driven non-entity and about as worthwhile as putting lipstick on a pig.

As Bob Dylan once slyly noted, "Nothing was delivered."
                        Last edited by chefcraig; 11-24-2012, 10:45 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

I think you are reading a tad much into it. What does the editing of the film have to do with the playing ? Everyone wants Jason to be his dad. Hell even Plant did on this night. He is not his dad. Never was , never will be ! It was 3 guy's playing together to honor the guy that signed them 40 years ago. I don't think it was anything more. And the fact that they havent played since that night probobly makes it true. Shit some of it is brilliant. Kashmir sounds better than the album. For Your Life is really good. I mean give them a break. It's more authentic than any recent Stone's tour ! Oh if you thought it sucked 5 years ago why did you pay for it then ?
                          Last edited by 78/84 guy; 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                            Oh if you thought it sucked 5 years ago why did you pay for it then ?
                            Because I'm an idiot. Not only was I caught up in the overwhelming rush of consumerism that goes with the vacuum of the holidays, I was honestly hoping to have my mind changed by the finished product. Instead, the results deepened my depression while simultaneously confirming my initial misgivings about the show.

As for authenticity, comparing this little spectacle with a Rolling Stones rehash makes about as much sense as comparing apples and oranges. The fact is, "authenticity" in rock and roll went away around the time MTV came along, if not sooner. And if punk had not come along in 1976 or so, shaking things up (and knocking some of these super-fart bands out of their complacency), nobody would be paying attention now.

Look, I've been living and dying with these knuckleheads since around 1973, so I believe that as a result, I'm entitled to point out when the emperor is not wearing any clothes. Your mileage may vary.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                              I find it had to believe you mean that ! Lol. Blu-Ray looks fantastic. Sounds better. If it's the last time they play they did it right.
                              Yes, let's hope it is the last time they play together - EVER!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
                                Because I'm an idiot. Not only was I caught up in the overwhelming rush of consumerism that goes with the vacuum of the holidays, I was honestly hoping to have my mind changed by the finished product. Instead, the results deepened my depression while simultaneously confirming my initial misgivings about the show.

As for authenticity, comparing this little spectacle with a Rolling Stones rehash makes about as much sense as comparing apples and oranges. The fact is, "authenticity" in rock and roll went away around the time MTV came along, if not sooner. And if punk had not come along in 1976 or so, shaking things up (and knocking some of these super-fart bands out of their complacency), nobody would be paying attention now.

Look, I've been living and dying with these knuckleheads since around 1973, so I believe that as a result, I'm entitled to point out when the emperor is not wearing any clothes. Your mileage may vary.
                                I bought it because it was fun. And mostly good. I guess I'm entitled to think that.

Comment

Working...