Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

No you idiot, it was possible due to the fact that many traditional jazz musicians had little regard for rock 'n' roll.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
      Here Craig...
      Goddam...Wayne Shorter tears it up!!!

Hell...they all do!
      Thanks, friend. Indeed, this is the DVD included on the extended (and fairly expensive) 3 CD/DVD set (and also was included in an exhaustive 2009 70 CD collection of Davis' music). The live package includes entire shows recorded in Belgium, Denmark and France, while the DVD comes from shows in Germany & Sweden. These all clock in at over 60 minutes each, so you end up with a staggering 4 hours of live performance. What is most interesting that while the set lists are pretty much the same at each gig, the actual performance (from tempos to the soloing) varies greatly from show to show.

It's just a great deal of musical information to take in at one, let alone several sittings.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

...and then I played this on such a beautiful Friday morning

Because I'm cool unlike say, some of you cretins who thinks dog and pony acts like Styx are cool.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Then I played this:

Which inevitably led me to this:

Gawd, I'm so fucking cool it hurts.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
            It is possible it was due to Hendrix though that Miles tried playing through a wah pedal when he went electric...
            I remember reading a Mike Stern interview where he said Miles would come up to him while he was soloing and say "Fuck bebop - play Hendrix".
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
              As much as I adore Mile's Kind Of Blue, I found something in late 2011 that comes damned close. The album is a live recording by the second great quintet, which consisted of Davis-trumpet, Wayne Shorter-tenor sax, Herbie Hancock-piano, Ron Carter-bass, and Tony Williams-drums (hell, Williams was still a teenager when he joined, yet Davis was most impressed by the kid's playing and hired him). The title is Miles Davis Quintet Live in Europe 1967, which is part of Legacy Recordings Best of Bootleg Series, Vol. 1.

This is a somewhat more direct and powerful group, compared to the more restrained sounds of the first band which sometimes featured the modal playing of keyboardist Bill Evans (normally, Red Garland handled the keys) and John Coltrane on sax. The interplay between Hancock and the other players is at times dizzying, and the overall sound isn't too bad for a collection of tracks recorded at various dance halls and open air festivals.

The album is available in two versions: A lavish 3CD set with DVD (which to me, appeared a bit too daunting), as well as a more streamlined (and more readily affordable) single CD offering. Highly recommended.

You know what!? I just recently bought this and it's fucking incredible! Miles, Shorter and Hancock never played this tight and absolute brilliant together like they did here. Just knowing that makes me cool, huh?

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                No you idiot, it was possible due to the fact that many traditional jazz musicians had little regard for rock 'n' roll.
                They still don't...
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Which is a cool thing.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Because I'm cool...
                    Empty glass, depressed and angry does not equal cool even with a Miles Davis soundtrack...

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Which is a douchebag thing.
                      Fixed.
                      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Empty glass, depressed and angry does not equal cool even with a Miles Davis soundtrack...
                        Oh, I dunno...Empty Glass and that duo album with Ronnie Lane are about the only Townshend solo albums I can listen to all the way through...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...