• Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Here is the A side that was their hit:

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Here is the relevant stuff from their Wikipedia page. Note that their early hits were cover songs:

Under the guidance of producer Ralph Murphy, April Wine recorded their second album, titled On Record. The first single from the album was a cover version of the song "You Could Have Been a Lady", originally by the band Hot Chocolate. The record was a commercial success, hitting number 5 on the Canadian charts, as well as cracking the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States where it stayed for eleven weeks, peaking at No. 32.[10] Following quick on its heels, April Wine released a second single from On Record, titled "Bad Side of the Moon". This song, written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin, also found success on Canadian radio stations and was a minor hit in the U.S. as well. Both tracks remain staples on classic rock radio stations in Canada to this day. On Record was certified Gold in Canada and the band, along with Murphy, hit the studio to cash in on the promotional momentum generated by their second release.
      I don't know who played the solo, but the likely candidate was David Henman, who is listed as the original guitarist. Miles Goodwyn was the vocalist from the start, and is credited with playing guitar as well, but it if David was the lead guitarist, he deserves credit for the solo.
      Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-18-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

I saw April Wine on several occasions when they were in their heydey in the early 80s. In fact, there is an audio bootleg floating around of their show I attended in Wichita, KS.

Hmmmm....let's see.....

Holy crap....there is a pro-shot video from that show! I am seeing numerous references to it on the net....

On youtube there is the entire set from their Cedar Rapids, Iowa show only 11 days after they played Wichita.

Comment

• Angel
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
          I saw April Wine on several occasions when they were in their heydey in the early 80s. In fact, there is an audio bootleg floating around of their show I attended in Wichita, KS.

Hmmmm....let's see.....

Holy crap....there is a pro-shot video from that show! I am seeing numerous references to it on the net....

On youtube there is the entire set from their Cedar Rapids, Iowa show only 11 days after they played Wichita.
          Saw April Wine numerous times from 76 on. Great Canadian band. They played my exes high school in Montreal. He knew their drummer Jerry Mercer quite well.
          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Everytime one of these "unknown" threads comes up, I always have to mention the 77s.

Sadly, after all these years, they remain (mostly) unknown

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

aah, the loosy goosy 70's!!!

Comment

• big fatty
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jul 2004

Legendary rock producer Martin Birch , who worked with Jeff Beck, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden,and others, also produced this in 1978.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by big fatty; 05-19-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

A little song called Stairway To Heaven.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                      A little song called Stairway To Heaven.
                      You mean "Taurus" by Spirit. That's where Jimmy "borrowed" the riff.
                      Beware of Dog

Comment

• big fatty
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jul 2004

First band I ever saw live was TROOPER, when they opened up for BTO in 1976. I was only 7 years old, but my pop wanted to see the concert for himself and took me with him. Randy Bachman produced their best albums in the mid to late '70's.

Trooper - Trooper (1975) - 07 - Love Of My LifeThis song is owned solely by the record company and/or the band and I have no claim to any gain from it .

Love Of My Life, has some blistering arena rock guitar solo's towards the end.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Baby Woncha Please Come Home, their first big radio hit, has a cool heavy bluesy groove and raunchy harmonica.
                        Last edited by big fatty; 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by big fatty
                          First band I ever saw live was TROOPER, when they opened up for BTO in 1976. I was only 7 years old, but my pop wanted to see the concert for himself and took me with him. Randy Bachman produced their best albums in the mid to late '70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyOzTHLa54A
                          Canada's party band. Always a good time when Trooper's in the house.
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• big fatty
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                            Canada's party band. Always a good time when Trooper's in the house.
                            Yeah, you must be from Canada, I'm surprised anyone knew about them. They had some great tunes back then. " We're Here For a Good Time " should be Canada's theme song. LOL.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              You mean "Taurus" by Spirit. That's where Jimmy "borrowed" the riff.
                              I'd say Jim Croce's Time In A Bottle was closer in similarity than Stairway was. No harm no foul from either, though. You can't keep the world from playing a descending chord progression on an acoustic guitar ever again just because Spirit did that tune.

Comment

• Angel
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by big fatty
                                Yeah, you must be from Canada, I'm surprised anyone knew about them. They had some great tunes back then. " We're Here For a Good Time " should be Canada's theme song. LOL.
                                That and "Raise a Little Hell" are pretty much our rock anthems.

Comment

Working...