Spinoff: Opening bands you paid full price to see...and then left after their set

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I remember being partway through a song and realizing it was Wanted Man. The sound was that bad. Maybe it was the technology of the time, or more likely it was "just make it fuckin' LOUD."

I didn't really want to leave, I liked Dancing Undercover and was curious as to how much of it they'd play. We probably left at quarter to ten.

June 25, 1987, Blossom Music Center. Just Poison opening.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Ratt opening for Billy Squier in 1984.

David Lee Roth opening for Bad Co in 1999.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Terry
        Ratt opening for Billy Squier in 1984.

David Lee Roth opening for Bad Co in 1999.
        Hard to believe DLR opened for them. I remember the radio ads for that here in MN: "Bad Co. with special guest David Lee Roth." I was busted ass broke then, so I missed that show, dammit.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
          Hard to believe DLR opened for them. I remember the radio ads for that here in MN: "Bad Co. with special guest David Lee Roth." I was busted ass broke then, so I missed that show, dammit.
          Just never had much use for Bad Company, myself. Plus, back in 1999 Roth hadn't toured for 6 years, and I was pretty enthused to go see him perform again - even more so because he was playing a setlist very heavy on CVH material.
          It was a pretty good show. Roth was still able to pull off a lot of his signature moves and was in pretty good form vocally. They played in Great Woods, Massachusetts. Well, I always knew it as Great Woods growing up, although I think it was called the Tweeter Center when I saw the show there.
          I don't recall thinking it was so odd that Roth was opening up for Bad Company back then considering the trajectory of his career post-YFLM. Then again, since I wasn't sticking around for Bad Company anyway, it really didn't matter.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• baru911
            Head Fluffer
            • Jun 2012

Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for Don Henley I believe during the Building the Perfect Beast tour (mid 80's). Saw Stevie. Didn't need to see or hear anything else.
            Last edited by baru911; 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM.
            Just remember boys and girls, to get Nick the Dick and his partner FORD off your porch when they come to your home you just need to pay them for the pizza.

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

I saw Stevie in the late 80s opening for Huey Lewis and The News. Kansas Coliseum, Wichita, KS

Stevie kicked ass, and was gone. Decided...what the hell. I'll hang around and watch Huey Newis & The Lose....well, firstly, despite the pop crap that were all their hits....the musicianship was killer, and the band was tight as hell.

I am GLAD I DID STAY.

Because at the end of the usual set they said "Thanks, good night...." wandered off to do the customary leaving of the stage....then Huey Lewis comes out and says "Ok so tonight is the last night Stevie and his band are playing with us on this leg of the tour, so we thought we would bring them out here again....."

So they all came out, and had a blues jam that lasted about 20 minutes. Everyone took a solo, and Baby Huey played a mean blooze harp all the way through.

So....I originally wanted to leave after SRV & DT were done.....but fate had a hand, and I am glad of it.

One other band I hated for a long time.....the Little River Band. Their pop bullshit was all over the airwaves....overproduced crap.....

Then I saw them at a rock festival in Royals Stadium in about 1980....Pat Travers, LRB, Santana, RED Speedwagon.

I went to get a drink. Came back out and sat down and watched the LRB band play, and within a song or two I realized I was listening to a really kickass band. Again, just like Huey Newis & The Lose, I had low expecations of the material (which were actually met each time...), but my expectations of the technical performance was usually exceeded. Great musicians.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by baru911
                Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for Don Henley I believe during the Building the Perfect Beast tour (mid 80's). Saw Stevie. Didn't need to see or hear anything else.
                Saw Stevie the Sat. night before he died and a month before that. Amazing performer.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

I saw Metallica open for Ozzy. Had originally bought the ticket to see Ozzy. But in the 6 months until the show I listened to a lot of Ride The Lightning & Master and by show night I was there to see Metallica.

Same at Monsters of Rock. I was there mainly to see Metallica and Dokken.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Saw SRV open for Robert Plant on the Now And Zen tour...
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...