Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

What Kristy really meant to say was that her favorite live album ever is......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Naw. But this thread does belong in the Smithsoiaian.

Comment

• Cato
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        What about Johnny Winter And Live?

Be it just for this (can't find a video version from the legendary live album, though):

And the rest delivers too.

Here's the audio anyway:
        have you seen this?
        Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• Cato
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

another video of this lineup
          Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Cato
            have you seen this?
            Cheers, Cato!

It's actually the same line-up as in "And Live" released in '71, and both the stage and lights look a lot like what you see on the sleeve.

It's sheer fury!
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• big fatty
              Head Fluffer
              • Jul 2004

Johnny Winter's upcoming " Roots " album sounds like it will be really good. Check out the special guests.

I still havent picked up his recent box set yet. I'm very surprised to see him mentioned here in this thread. I was just listening to " John Dawson Winter III "on vinyl a couple weekends ago from my pops record collection.

Eric Clapton, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Ben Harper, Mark Knopfler, Joe Perry and Dr. John are among the guests on the second edition of classic blues covers coming from legendary blues guitarist Johnny Winter.

Eric Clapton, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Ben Harper, Mark Knopfler, Joe Perry and Dr. John are among the guests on the second edition of classic blues covers coming from legendary blues guitarist Johnny Winter.

The follow-up to his 2011 album "Roots," Winter's manager-guitarist Paul Nelson finished mixing part two prior to heading to South By Southwest in Austin where a documentary on Winter premiered, the Texas guitarist sat in with Jimmy Kimmel's band and performed a showcase of his own. Megaforce/Sony will again release the album, most likely in June or July; the plan is for Winter to ultimately do four editions of "Roots."

"We started this series of traditional songs that Johnny grew up on -- I knew it was an easy formula for him to digest," says Nelson, who has been in Winter's band for eight years and managing him for six. "He was happy to do this and it fueled his need to do this, relearn songs from the past. It was educational."

Winter turned 70 in February, celebrating with a New York performance and Sony Legacy's release of a four-CD box set "True to the Blues." The film and Winter-branded products such as hot sauce and barbecue sauce will be released as part of his seven-decade celebration as he tours about 100 to 140 dates a year.

The documentary, "Johnny Winter: Down and Dirty," openly details the demons of Winter's youth in Beaumont, Texas, and his battles with drugs as director Greg Olliver ("Lemmy") captures him in 2010 as he is being weaned off Methadone. Future screenings are in the works. Nelson executive produced the film.

"This movie gives fans an explanation of what was wrong," Nelson says, noting that Winter spent years going through the motions and needed to become more self-sufficient in life and as a musician. "A lot of the times (in films) you see guys go from success to pits of hell and back up. For the sake of the movie, you wonder if they're going to fall off the wagon. You can see Johnny get healthier through the course of the movie. He's a little slow because of the OCD, but its more than just a music show. It's VH1 Behind the Music, but with a PBS twist."

The idea for filming Winter on the road was an idea hatched so Neal could send footage to Winter's doctors while they were getting him off drugs and helping him deal with his OCD. Winter is indeed a man of habit and backstage at the Long Center in Austin where "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" was taping, Winter killed time watching episodes of "The Twilight Zone" and "Happy Days," two of the countless shows they bring on the road to allow him to keep to his schedule.

Once he took the stage at the SXSW showcase, Winter and the Kimmel band performed segments of "Johnny B. Goode," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Tore Down" and "Highway 61 Revisited"; the night before, he performed "Johnny B. Goode," "Bonie Maronie" and "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl," saving his slide for the very end.

"I like playing songs from when I was first getting into music," Winter says. "That's just fun to do those songs, lot of good memories."

Winter, as the film explains, has become progressively more engaged in interviews over the last fur or five years, speaking in sentences and even paragraphs after years of delivering one word answers that frustrated most interviewers. The "Roots" project has him focused on the classics that inspired by Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and Elmore James.

"Songs mostly from the '50s," he says of "Roots 2," "and a lot of guests. If there's good people, other good musicians, people enjoy it. I just love it."

He adds, "It's just to bring it to the people of today who haven't listened to the old music. It's better than anything they hear today."
              Last edited by big fatty; 03-17-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                Head Fluffer
                • Jul 2010

No one else has mentioned it so I'm gonna throw this one out there : Nazareth " 'Snaz "
                Nazareth was one of those criminally under-rated hard rock bands like UFO , April Wine , Mahogany Rush , and Robin Trower
                Vocalist Dan McCafferty's vocals are raw and powerful . Even Brian Johnson and Bon Scott would have both stepped back and went , " Whoah ! "
                "Hair Of The Dog " . " Beggars Day " . " Expect No Mercy " , " Razamanaz " , " This Flight Tonight " , all skull crushers .

Robin Trower " Live ! " is another great live album with Trowers soaring , fluid , and soulful playing along with bassist James DeWars soulful vocals . It's hard to believe that this is 3 white guys .

Comment

• Angel
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Anyone mention ZZ Top Fandango yet?
                  "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Angel
                    Anyone mention ZZ Top Fandango yet?
                    Well... I guess side 1 of that album would be eligible.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ODShowtime
                      ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

I fucking love Alive.

Parasite into She is just the most baddest shit ever. Just low-slung Les Paul badassery.
                      gnaw on it

Comment

• big fatty
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Green Manalishi
                        No one else has mentioned it so I'm gonna throw this one out there : Nazareth " 'Snaz "
                        Nazareth was one of those criminally under-rated hard rock bands like UFO , April Wine , Mahogany Rush , and Robin Trower
                        Vocalist Dan McCafferty's vocals are raw and powerful . Even Brian Johnson and Bon Scott would have both stepped back and went , " Whoah ! "
                        "Hair Of The Dog " . " Beggars Day " . " Expect No Mercy " , " Razamanaz " , " This Flight Tonight " , all skull crushers .
                        I was at that show. I still have the t-shirt, it has the skull & crossbones from the No Mean City album cover. Krokus opened up. They also filmed it as you probably know, I have the VHS tape.

One of the highlights for me that I still remember from being there, was their deadly rendition of " Shapes of Things ". At the time, I hadnt heard that song before, and just loved the raw screeching vocals of Dan Mc Cafferty as they played it live. They set off a shitload of smokebombs as well, which for me as a thirteen year old at the time was pretty cool. It was one of the first few shows I attended.

But I personally wouldn't list it as being one of the best of all time live albums, it's pretty good though. I still listen to Nazerath once in a while. Usually " Close Enough For Rock n Roll " and " Playin The Game ". They do have a lot of pretty damn good stuff that is lesser known to most. One of my favorites is " Kentucky Fried Blues " from Expect No Mercy.
                        Last edited by big fatty; 03-17-2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Robin Trower " Live ! " is another great live album with Trowers soaring , fluid , and soulful playing along with bassist James DeWars soulful vocals . It's hard to believe that this is 3 white guys .
                          Amen.

The remastered Bridge of Sighs album from 1999 sounds the best, and includes live versions with Reg Isidore on drums.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jul 2010

Saw that same tour as well only it was after the release of Snaz . It was Nazareth , Billy Thorpe , and Vic Vergat at the Kiel Opera House in St. Louis in November of '81 . Cool stuff ! I still have my old t-shirt as well only its a bootleg knock off with the No Mean City artwork on the front and the Fools Circle artwork on the back . Bought it in the street several blocks from the show .

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              Amen.

The remastered Bridge of Sighs album from 1999 sounds the best, and includes live versions with Reg Isidore on drums.
                              I bought the remastered Bridge Of Sighs shortly after it's release . Fortunately , I have witnessed Trower live 4 times and I had the priviledge of meeting him twice . Very sweet , humble , and surprisingly frail though he plays guitar like he's 9 feet tall . If you have never seen Robin Trower do so while you have the chance . Glad to see that someone else appreciates this under appreciated guitar maestro .
                              Last edited by Green Manalishi; 03-19-2014, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

We could do with a Nazareth thread..............
                                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...