Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Green Manalishi
    Head Fluffer
    • Jul 2010

Ritchie Blackmore is a notorious diva . I saw Rainbow that same year at a show promoted as " SuperJam '82 " at the old Busch Stadium . In this order was the lineup : 707 , Rainbow , .38 Special , Loverboy , REO Speedwagon . Literally a week before the show I heard a radio interview with Ritchie Blackmore himself . He stated that without question , under any circumstances , if he felt the slightest bit disrespected , he would bolt . Just one of those circumstances that he mentioned was who else they were on the bill with and where they were on the bill itself . He specifically said that if he didn't " co-headline at the least , regardless of who the 'other' bands were " that he would either " not play " or " do whatever he felt like " . Well , I'll be damned . They played second on this basically sucky lineup and they played barely 30 minutes . Granted , he played his ass off and the crowd loved the shit out of him , but , he literally threw down his guitar after abusing it with a thrown Frisbee and left in a huff . No encore , no nothing . Gone . That's my Blackmore Diva story and I'm sticking to it .

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Green Manalishi
      he literally threw down his guitar after abusing it with a thrown Frisbee...
      That's illegal in most states.

Comment

• cadaverdog
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Aug 2007

I'm pretty sure it was Blackmore who threw the hissy fit when they left the stage. Fuck em anyway. I saw them in late 81 anyway.
        Beware of Dog

Comment

• Green Manalishi
          Head Fluffer
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by cadaverdog
          I saw UFO open for Rainbow in 82 at Alpine Meadows in Wisconsin. The crowd was still yelling for UFO through Rainbow's first song so they got pissed off and left the stage. The first band Duke Jupiter came back on stage to finish the show but they still kept yelling for UFO. I felt kind of bad for them because they were probably just doing what the promoter told them to do.
          Nothing against Rainbow , I just can't see them following UFO . What an ass kicking that would have been .

Comment

• Green Manalishi
            Head Fluffer
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Kristy
            That's illegal in most states.
            Kristy , Kristy , Kristy . Too funny .

Comment

• cadaverdog
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Green Manalishi
              Nothing against Rainbow , I just can't see them following UFO . What an ass kicking that would have been .
              I liked Rainbow with Dio and Graham Bonnet but they weren't much better than Van Hagar during the Joe Lynn Turner years. Can't Happen Here was the only song they did with Joe I like very much. I prefered Bonnet over Dio but Man On The Silver Mountain is by far their best tune. Dio was a better singer but I like more Bonnet / Rainbow songs that Dio / Rainbow songs.
              Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I liked Rainbow with Dio and Graham Bonnet but they weren't much better than Van Hagar during the Joe Lynn Turner years.
                More like Foreigner, actually. I thought that damn song "Stone Cold" WAS Foreigner the first few times I heard it on the radio.

And of course, this was after Foreigner had gone wussy themselves, so that's not a compliment.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• cadaverdog
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Aug 2007

How about this guy?
                  Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I got burned out on that song by 1978, because KISW used to play the fucking thing every goddamned day. Considering it was the only US hit the guy had, it's amazing how overexposed it was (and this was before corporate consolidation ruined FM radio, no less)
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BiG_Troubles
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by FORD
                      But this being the mid 80s, even the best bands had to have their synth pop hit. Well, not so much a hit, though it SHOULD have been.....

Sure as fuck is a better song than "I'll Wait", for fucks sake.
                      easy there now.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by FORD
                        I got burned out on that song by 1978, because KISW used to play the fucking thing every goddamned day. Considering it was the only US hit the guy had, it's amazing how overexposed it was (and this was before corporate consolidation ruined FM radio, no less)
                        I've never heard the song on the radio. A friend of mine from Nebraska was a big Billy Thorpe fan and mentioned this song about 30 years ago. The first time I heard it was when I found it on Youtube a year or so ago.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...