X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    There are lot of new artist out there who are breaking the rules by actually writing and playing their own material unlike say, a certain duo in their 80s. You have to realize (and I think you do better than anyone else on here) that the music industry is dead. Anyone can call themselves a producer or even a professional musician with general knowledge of learning to play a few chords and a iPhone to record their crap on. As for the ones who developed a real skill in manipulating their instrument and has paid "dooos" are becoming more and more rare and the industry which has sold its soul to the commercial pop of visual instead of aural and music is all about being seen in these days an times (See: K Pop, the Masked singer, that fucking unwatchable The Voice).

The Crock and Bullshit Hall of (insert flavor of the month here) has always been abut ego tripping turning itself into a qualified bitch magnet for the likes of Dave Grohl. The concept of the place was great when it first marketed itself. It gave notion to the pioneers likes Chuck Berry (although he was a asshole), Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent which was all well and good until you start to get the vibe The Crock and Bullshit Hall of...shit just openly operates as a beauty contest. So many artist who possessed so much in the way originality and "dooo paying" are largely ignored. As far as I know Irma Thomas, Don Varner, Fontella Bass, Chuck Jackson, Eddie Hinton, Jimmy McGriff, Tammi Terrell and yes, even white limey artist like Billy Fury (huge "influence" on Bowie), The Artwoods, The Shadows (although they may be or Hank Marvin definitely belongs there) or even the Fame Gang are not in there or ever mentioned of being there. you all remember the Fame Gang, right? Give this a quick listen and guess how many people ripped them the fuck off (See; Earth, Wind and Fire)

And since I mentioned Bill Fury:

Yeah, tell me Bowie did not steal from him.*

So this is what we have: a visual media for an auditory one. As Von said the The Crock and Bullshit Hall of Slime can politely go and fuck itself. I've been there. Not much to see unless you're really into nostalgia like Joe Strummer's boxer shorts.

*Billy Fury is a limey. David Bowie is a limey. Limeys stealing from other limeys I could less than a shit about.

I mean, I get that while I'm not dead yet, as a white American male in his early 50's whatever the music industry is these days I'm clearly not the demographic the contemporary music biz is targeting.

I dunno. It's like, I still get some degree of enjoyment out of the rock I grew up listening to, but even that material...there's only so many times I can listen to that stuff before it's just "fuck, I'm sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again."

Last ten years or so, I'm listening to more pop stuff than rock. Last tune I heard that turned me on was a Harry Styles song. So, I'm either listening to newer pop stuff or I'm going back and listening to older stuff I'm not as familiar with.

I liked Aerosmith up to and including Pump but could really give two fucks if they never tour again or release another record and if I'm driving around listening to terrestrial radio like a white geezer such as myself does and Walk This Way comes on, I change the station. I could give two shits about Iron Maiden and if Nico is gonna be able to play drums for them ever again...and I loved that fucking band circa 1985. Or a few years back when Deep Purple were inducted in the Hall Of Fame and there was this big kerfuffle over if Blackmore would show up and if the band would reunite with Blackmore and play Smoke On The Water "one last time, for the fans, man!" I love Deep Purple, loved Rainbow (even the Joe Lynn Turner stuff) but I'd sooner listen to Blackmore's Night play Renaissance music these days than Machine Head.

Rock and Roll has gotten old, boring, safe and corporatized. I see these working bands chugging out this newer metal-edged rock and they've all got their unforms on - jet black hair, black jeans, black shirts, tattoos - and all their gear and they're playing the notes but I hear zero passion or purpose. Just loads of professional musicians making uninspired music. Yawn-inducing and sad, but that's what rock has devolved to. I'd honestly rather listen to Rhianna than that stuff. I mean, fuck, say what you want about...like, Bill Haley and The Comets but at least there was a bit of fire and spirit there way back when.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Johnny Cash is in, class of '92. His tour bus is parked out front on the plaza.

Full list of inductees https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z

There was a Sun Studios display that included the original mixing board and tape machine but I don't remember if it's still there.

The archives are currently housed at Cuyahoga Community College. The Rock Hall is going to add on to the building and eventually the archives will be kept on site.
      Last edited by twonabomber; 09-19-2023, 11:05 AM.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
        I'm asking honestly (not obnoxiously) because I'm not familiar with him. Any particular tracks or albums you think would be a good start for him?
        You Can't Sit Down (Parts 1 & 2) was probably his biggest and only hit.

The other, his 1968 recording Feeling Blue

I know, he does sound sound like a bit of a Albert King knock off at times. To meeeeeeee a lot of his early recordings were poorly recorded and produced unlike say a bloated, I mean, pristine Sandy Pearlman BOC offering.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
          Rock and Roll has gotten old, boring, safe and corporatized. I see these working bands chugging out this newer metal-edged rock and they've all got their unforms on - jet black hair, black jeans, black shirts, tattoos - and all their gear and they're playing the notes but I hear zero passion or purpose. Just loads of professional musicians making uninspired music.

You know what you just did there? You just described emo to a golf tee. Here a perfect example:

Rich kids that crawl out of places like Brooklyn. I have a coworker who loves this horseshit.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            Johnny Cash is in, class of '92. His tour bus is parked out front on the plaza.

Full list of inductees https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z

There was a Sun Studios display that included the original mixing board and tape machine but I don't remember if it's still there.

The archives are currently housed at Cuyahoga Community College. The Rock Hall is going to add on to the building and eventually the archives will be kept on site.
            Oh, I'm aware Cash is in. I was just making a point about MOST country artists not really deserving...but Cash definitely deserved to be in. It was in the lower half of my (rather long) post that I listed artists who aren't in (who should be).

I bet the Sun Studios exhibit was great. Being in the original studio is...mind-blowing.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Back to your other post...as big of a Sting/Police fan I am, I just don't see him getting in solo. Sure, the first solo band was a bunch of jazzbos, but does that really count? His stuff turned into MOR sludge after those first few solo albums. And that kind of describes Winwood solo, and Clapton after Journeyman/24 Nights, and Frampton after When All The Pieces Fit.

Zevon absolutely should be in.

Midnight Oil...leaning toward the political/activist side of things, so maybe? I mean, that's the thinking behind putting Rage Against The Machine in, I guess.

INXS. Majorly influential to me personally. I know those songs inside out, backwards forwards...enough that I will never go see an INXS tribute band, because there is no way it will ever be good enough for me. I will sit there and nitpick that motherfucker and complain all the way home and wonder why I spent money on that shit. Saw them four times from Kick forward, the last a couple months before Michael Hutchence died. Hutchence could work a room with the best of them.

Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. How do you have Green Day (highly derivative and not innovative IMO) and not more of the original wave of punk bands? They probably wouldn't show up anyways, but still, why not induct them?

Jethro Tull...meh. "Oh, Anderson plays FLUTE!" Not enough in my eyes. Our former mod Mr. Walker was a fan.

Maybe Duran Duran getting in means more New Wave gets in. DD should have been in earlier, their use of video is the definition of "perpetuation of rock and roll." Finally saw them the other night, great show.

The UCR article has Hagar solo on their list. For what? I've always said Dave solo is a stretch, too. The only way Cherone gets in is if he buys a ticket.

What from the 90's "nu metal" gets in? Most of that is shit. But that's just my age talking
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

INXS. Majorly influential to me personally. I know those songs inside out, backwards forwards...enough that I will never go see an INXS tribute band, because there is no way it will ever be good enough for me. I will sit there and nitpick that motherfucker and complain all the way home and wonder why I spent money on that shit. Saw them four times from Kick forward, the last a couple months before Michael Hutchence died. Hutchence could work a room with the best of them.
                Never was a big fan of them but used to get into arguments with hipster music snobs that Andre Farriss was a tremendous songwriter -seeing him and Hutchence wrote the majority of their biggest hits. Now he sold his soul and is working with that prick from Def Leppard

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Even worse, Andrew Farriss has gone country.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                    You Can't Sit Down (Parts 1 & 2) was probably his biggest and only hit.

The other, his 1968 recording Feeling Blue

I know, he does sound sound like a bit of a Albert King knock off at times. To meeeeeeee a lot of his early recordings were poorly recorded and produced unlike say a bloated, I mean, pristine Sandy Pearlman BOC offering.
                    Thanks, Kristy. I'll check these out!
                    Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Even worse, Andrew Farriss has gone country
                      Guess he figured if Keith Urban can get away with it... that opens up the door to Kangaroo Kountry....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This one sounds more like Dire Straits than INXS. Lead guitar is very Knopfler like...

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

That's terrible!

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It definitely ain't Shabooh Shoobah
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

There used to be great induction speeches. Pete Townshend was great at it (for the Stones, Pink Floyd).
                              But I think the best speech ever was Little Richard's for Otis Redding's induction.

The way he sings Otis' songs is amazing.
                              Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM.
                              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Back to your other post...as big of a Sting/Police fan I am, I just don't see him getting in solo. Sure, the first solo band was a bunch of jazzbos, but does that really count? His stuff turned into MOR sludge after those first few solo albums.
                                You may be right. I mean, yes, Peter Gabriel got in both as a member of Genesis and as a solo artist. But I think nobody would claim that Sting solo is as influential as Gabriel solo. Putting Gabriel in as a solo artist is a no-brainer.

That said, Sting was still freaking huge as a solo artist. He sold tons of records. He definitely became a superstar in his own right. He definitely influenced a lot of people.

I still maintain that DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES is a great album. (I like the movie about this album, BRING ON THE NIGHT, even more.)

NOTHING LIKE THE SUN (the 2nd solo LP) is also very good, if a bit overlong. ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK is like The Police single that never was. (FORTRESS AROUND MY HEART, from DREAM, also sounds like it could have come off SYNCHRONICITY.)

THE SOUL CAGES was also very good (maybe not quite as good as the first two LPs).

A lot of people found TEN SUMMONER'S TALES too poppy, but songs like LOVE IS STRONGER THAN JUSTICE and SEVEN DAYS are really good.

After those LPs, his work becomes admittedly spotty. But it would be hard to deny that Sting's solo career has existed mostly on its own terms and he hasn't just tried to replicate The Police sound.

(He's also embarrassed himself, making flute albums and shit.)
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...