X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
    Colorado has decriminalized psy mushies so I'm free to "see" and "feel" and "experience" um, things to Copland's drumming without THE MAN trying to fuck up my day.
    I did lots of things in my youth, but I never tried mushrooms and I guess I'm too old to try now.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      Yeah Stewart said him and Sting are polar opposites and fought like dogs. He said when The Police fell apart he actually felt relief because it always was tense. He loves visiting Sting and staying at his wonderful estate in Italy. They get along if music isn’t involved.
      Sting seems like he could be a nice guy...in certain situations not designed to inflate his already-massive ego.

Trudie Styler, on the other hand, is apparently a gigantic cunt. I'll never forget the story of their pregnant chef being forced to drive back in the middle of the night to make Trudie a sandwich or something. Trudie apparently got angry when the chef became pregnant and eventually the chef was fired.
      Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the albums apart from Phil Collins playing and signing on them.
        Nah, even on those albums, Phil is just fine. His drumming on certain songs is amazing (JUST A JOB TO DO is not one of the band's best songs...but Phil's drumming is great). His drumming on the title track of ABACAB is amazing...the song has such a simple rhythm but Phil just plays the shit out of his drums. People can make fun of Phil (justifiably) for all sorts of reasons...but to deny his drumming talents is crazy.
        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
          You lucky bastard. I didn't see them 'til the reunion.

GHOST IN THE MACHINE is my least-favorite Police album (I love all five albums...I just rank GHOST and the debut a bit below the others)...but that tour was amazing. (I only know this because I've seen one of the concert videos...they still had some hunger, some oomph...and they were still creative.)

SYNCHRONICITY is an insanely-great album...but the tour itself is the least-appealing (of the original tours) to me because they had become more "professional," too polished (with the backing singers) and some of the improvisation was toned down. Tours like ZENYETTA's and GHOST's were more dynamic.
          They were the best around 1980. Still hungry and they had a great live sound. Andy was just using a few stomp boxes and some four input Marshall’s. He sounded great. Sting sounded best with a Fender Precision bass going through an Aiembic preamp driving some Clair Brother’s PA speakers with power amps. That was one mean sounding rig.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Sting seems like he could be a nice guy...in certain situations not designed to inflate his already-massive ego.

Trudie Styler, on the other hand, is apparently a gigantic cunt. I'll never forget the story of their pregnant chef being forced to drive back in the middle of the night to make Trudie a sandwich or something. Trudie apparently got angry when the chef became pregnant and eventually the chef was fired.
            Stewart said Sting is quiet and deep. He’s extremely talented and likes control of his music. Sting wants to be in full control like a dictator. You get big egos together and you are going to clash but just hanging with Sting and his wife Trudi is wonderful. Always a great visit but the fighting will begin if making music is involved.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Stewart said The Police was composed of three very different people. It never was an easy working relationship but some great stuff came out of it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Well Stewart didn’t say anything bad about Trudie but he said they live very well. He said there are lot’s of servants and if you lay a jacket down someone will grab it and hang it up and make sure you get it before you leave. Your wine or water glass is always filled. Stewart calls it The Magic Stingdome. Ha! Ha!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I did lots of things in my youth, but I never tried mushrooms and I guess I'm too old to try now.

So you didn’t let your excesses get the best of you.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

(That said, the bass player is seriously good.)
                    You've never heard of Stanley Clarke?

I had the first Animal Logic CD, I must have traded it in toward something else.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Stung is such a cock. Their producer on Synchronsuckity Hugh Padgham speaks in endless stories of how much Stung and Copeland argured so much he called the suits at A&M trying to get out of his contract on working on the album. Hugh spoke of how cock smock Stung would have Hugh erase of lot of Copeland's drum tracks simply because he thought they were "absolute shit."
                      They fought all the way up to the release of the first greatest hits album. Copeland supposedly got hurt falling off his horse while playing polo so he couldn't play drums for the remake of Don't Stand So Close to me. He and Sting fought over which workstation was better, the Fairlight or Synclavier.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Hey, make fun of me all you want...but I still love ABACAB and the 1983 self-titled GENESIS album. The sound on those albums and the mix of polish and spontaneity was still appealing...before the 80s really dragged on...
                        I like those albums too, along with Duke.

A lot of it had to do with only having begun listening to the band when the Misunderstanding single came out, having never heard any of the stuff the band did with Gabriel (I was only ten years old or so at the time) before. Point of fact, I didn't even listen to any of the Genesis stuff with Gabriel until the 1990s (didn't much care for that stuff, either).

Enjoyed the first Phil Collins solo album just fine.

Wasn't really until the second Collins solo album and the Invisible Touch Genesis album - where I didn't really care for the material on either of those - that Collins started to irk me, mostly because he was starting to churn out cheese and his silly mugging face was seemingly everywhere circa 1985 or so.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

(That said, the bass player is seriously good.)
                          The bass player is Stanley Clarke. Usually he's a jazz guy, but he was known to join rock bands now and then. Before working with Stewart Copeland, he was in a little band called The New Barbarians in the late 1970s..

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Interesting. The induction ceremony will be shown live on Disney+, with the cut down version on ABC later. The HBO deal must be over.

Rock Hall members got invited to the groundbreaking of the new addition. I doubt I will go.

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                              Interesting. The induction ceremony will be shown live on Disney+, with the cut down version on ABC later. The HBO deal must be over.
                              I have HBO, so having it wasn't the problem. I just stopped watching as there became less and less bands I care about.

I did enjoy watch Lars induct Deep Purple...but even then I was angry that they left out a couple of members of the band over the years.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Incidentally, Jann Wenner's book is now a monster flop. It premiered at No. 7,594 on Amazon’s book sales list.
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...